MakinItHappen
    MakinItHappen's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Yes

He was solid in 2003 when he won his one and only GS.
    He also reached the Wimbledon final multiple times. Remember the year he took Federer to 5 sets and lost out to a basketball scoreline in the 5th?

Fitness and overall athleticism (agility, balance, flexibility) have never been more important than in today's game.

It is no suprise to see both Andy and Novak @ the top when they are the best athletes, a product of tennis academies churned out finest. In terms of physically and strategically.

Nadal may have the athleticism, but the natural fitness is something he has shown to be lacking.

Roddick never had the athleticism and was declining in terms of his natural fitness.

MakinItHappen

Quote Originally Posted by ngates815 View Post
    I never "speculated" anything.

I said he's not 100% and he'll be back when he is.

Yes you're trying to make too much out of nothing, that's why you're making all the assumptions as to why he's not participating...When someone is injured it takes time for them to get back in there...He'll be back when he feels 100% it's pretty simple to understand...We don't need to know if he's unable to perform at 100% or if his mind just isn't ready...He'll be back when he's ready to perform at the level he wants to be at, physically and mentally.

I don't follow tennis enough to read articles about the guys...I just know Nadal has been out quite a while and I didn't understand why this thread needed to be titled "LMFAO"...Guys fun to watch and sucks he's not playing, nothing really to giggle about.

But have fun speculating on why he's not playing. It's fun to read the guys that have inside info and like to tell us what's wrong with players...They usually turn out being correct!
    Let's use a bit of common sense. Howmany other times in Nadal's career prior to this incident has Nadal drawn a virus? Why does it strike immediately before the start of his tour comeback? Why? Coincidence? Utter? It's too sketchy. They aren't oblidged to show the ATP a doctor's certificate.

So you yourself are treating this delayed comeback as something physical as opposed to the reason he's given then? If he's physically not a 100% sharp then why mention stuff about a stomach virus? I am not quite with you on this. It sounds to me as if you are saying; "ah what the hell, whether he's "telling porkies" about virus or not, who cares? Either way it boils down to him not being 100% ready." If you're fit you should play. In Nadal's case, we've seen him stroking the ball and bouncing around like a energizer bunny. This could have been a marketing stunt who knows? but does it seem like a "light hit" to you?

For me he's either buying time as he doesn't want Djokovic gaining a credible psychological advantage over him for the Clay season. < That is a bit cunning and tactical, fair play if that's the way he wants to roll.

Or on the other hand it could be not wanting to risk not being able to defend his French Open crown.

I have already linked you to an article where Nadal himself revealed on how hardcourts beat up his body. For me, there's no way he has a virus, again I'm speculating, but with good reason.

PS: I haven't been corrected.

tblues2005
    tblues2005's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7184

I agree it is better now than right before it started and messed up the seedings. He wasn't quite ready yet.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Not really sure why anyone would want to laugh at Nadal not being fit for the 1st Grand Slam of the season regardless of whether you buy his reasoning or not. If you don't like the guy, you don't like the guy. Who knows if is truth or gamesmanship. Rarely are you going to see a top player be forthcoming with his exact ailment to allow his opponents to know where to attack. Seen it with Djokovic plenty. Murray. About the only guy who is close to brutal honesty with his health is Federer, but I am sure there have been several occasions where perhaps the "flu" maybe masked something else, etc.

Preparation on surfaces is always key for these guys, so if they don't feel comfortable or rushed - it's not surprising to see something like this. It's a smart move IMO for a guy who has become pretty fragile. If he's going to hold up to play in two or three Slams by making a late start to the season ... I don't see a problem and who f-ing cares if it's because of a stomach bug, enlarged prostate or sore dick. There's nobody hating on Robin Soderling being out for a year with mono/glandular fever.

Blax0r
    Blax0r's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1512

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    Not really sure why anyone would want to laugh at Nadal not being fit for the 1st Grand Slam of the season regardless of whether you buy his reasoning or not. If you don't like the guy, you don't like the guy. Who knows if is truth or gamesmanship. Rarely are you going to see a top player be forthcoming with his exact ailment to allow his opponents to know where to attack. Seen it with Djokovic plenty. Murray. About the only guy who is close to brutal honesty with his health is Federer, but I am sure there have been several occasions where perhaps the "flu" maybe masked something else, etc.

Preparation on surfaces is always key for these guys, so if they don't feel comfortable or rushed - it's not surprising to see something like this. It's a smart move IMO for a guy who has become pretty fragile. If he's going to hold up to play in two or three Slams by making a late start to the season ... I don't see a problem and who f-ing cares if it's because of a stomach bug, enlarged prostate or sore dick. There's nobody hating on Robin Soderling being out for a year with mono/glandular fever.
    I'm still wondering when we'll see Soderling again haha

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post

haha I immediately thought of Soderling when I saw the reference to how apparently long Nadal had been out. No one's complaining about Robin? Just didn't think many would get it. But yeah... ditto to all you said obv. Like Murray or Djoko especially are forthright with why they're playing or not... or even how they try to justify appearance fees. I'm just pissed now because going to watch this without Nadal won't feel complete. But I'd rather him skip here and be ok for the French than play here and not play like Nadal. Can you imagine the riots in such a tennis focused city? People would be demanding refunds. No Nadal = bad news. Not funny for any tennis fan.

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Unless OP is actually Nadal himself lets lock it up.

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckG View Post
    Unless OP is actually Nadal himself lets lock it up.
    "for fukk sakesssssssssss. Grossssssssss." Hoping you get good tips on Facebook Chat

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9740

only reason nadal is claiming not to play is because he didnt practice last week which is bogus imo. He doesnt need the practice

MakinItHappen

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    haha I immediately thought of Soderling when I saw the reference to how apparently long Nadal had been out. No one's complaining about Robin? Just didn't think many would get it. But yeah... ditto to all you said obv. Like Murray or Djoko especially are forthright with why they're playing or not... or even how they try to justify appearance fees. I'm just pissed now because going to watch this without Nadal won't feel complete. But I'd rather him skip here and be ok for the French than play here and not play like Nadal. Can you imagine the riots in such a tennis focused city? People would be demanding refunds. No Nadal = bad news. Not funny for any tennis fan.
    I agree although it is worth noting the French don't like and never have liked Rafa, they have been routing for someone else to win for many years now. They love player's with flair, someone that glides across the court. Nadal epitomizes everything they detest in a player. He gets a rousing level of support over many parts of the World, only France isn't one of them. They'd certainly be disappointed, I'm not quite sure about devastated though.

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    "for fukk sakesssssssssss. Grossssssssss." Hoping you get good tips on Facebook Chat

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by MakinItHappen View Post
    I agree although it is worth noting the French don't like and never have liked Rafa, they have been routing for someone else to win for many years now. They love player's with flair, someone that glides across the court. Nadal epitomizes everything they detest in a player. He gets a rousing level of support over many parts of the World, only France isn't one of them. They'd certainly be disappointed, I'm not quite sure about devastated though.
    True. But they'll still be disappointed as fans. Winning isn't properly winning unless all of the top guys are there to compete and many of the people sitting in the stands at the French aren't French. They can't be bothered to spend the money or take the time off work but people are more than willing - usually gap years' - to travel from Spain, the UK, etc. Nadal being out of any Slam is a travesty.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9189

First 12