Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Taking Murray to Beat Djokovic in the Finals!

The odds are way off in this match. Murray at +225? Djokovic has a 60% chance to win this match imo.

I don't know how much I'm going to put on this. Not much. Maybe a bill. Don't really care about making money here. Very pumped to watch this match.

I was saying before I think it might be a classic like some of the old Nadal Fed wimbledon finals we used to get. I know these two have had their battles in the past, their basically like brothers on tour. But this will be a great match for sure and I hope the conditions are good.

Many of you will say that Murray will never win a slam. I disagree. He will win at least 2-3 grand slams in my opinion and this may be the first.

As crazy as it may sound, I believe that Murray has a little more power on this surface. Especially with the running forehand which Murray is by far the best at on tour.

It's hard to cap a match like this with two guys that are so similar (given Murray's recent improvement this year). Murray isn't going to fold up mentally, I can assure you of that. Djokovic has a few more weapons in his arsenal, but Murray and his coach are developing a good game plan right now.

Normally I would want Murray to be very aggressive but personally my game plan would involve being a little more defensive and baiting Djok into that running forehand. But we'll see.

Good luck to all.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

You're such a dork Goat. You don't care about making money ... bullshit.

Murray can't afford to be defensive with Djokovic. Djokovic does every thing Murray can do at an A+ level. Outside of the match with the wind vs. Berdych, the game plan with Lendl in the corner is to be aggressive. That's how he played him in the semis in Australia and at the Olympics.

Ferrer is the master craftsman of defensive tennis and you saw what happened today. Over the course of a match, if that is how you play - Djokovic is a better shot maker and defender than anyone on tour. You will not beat him in a Best of 5 trying to defend.

Goat Milk

But you misread what I said.

It's to bait Djokovic with defense. Not just be defensive. Bait him for the running forehand. Ferrer plays D but he can't turn D into offense with one groundstroke like Murray can.

Murray has more power on the run than Djokovic.

Goat Milk

Whatever Eagles. Go lay -250 on Djokovic bro. That price is just stupidity. If I was a linemaker my line would be Djokovic -170

h3da
    h3da's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

-4.5 games for me

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    Whatever Eagles. Go lay -250 on Djokovic bro. That price is just stupidity. If I was a linemaker my line would be Djokovic -170
    Did I say I was laying anything on anyone? If you read my stuff, you know that I am a closet Murray fan and am probably one of the few who really want to see the kid get that Slam title so we can move on into an Era of just phenomenal rivalry tennis with Djokovic, Murray and Nadal all in their primes or close to it.

I rarely bet a side at all in Slam finals. I usually go prop shopping or play a total. I let all the smart peeps try to figure out who is better at what on a side. To me there is usually better stuff to find on the off markets rather than the sides everyone else wants to play. I don't think Murray has more power than Djokovic in any shot IMO. Maybe can equal him pop wise in a few things, but power + accuracy, I'd take Djokovic all day based on what he has shown here in the last couple of matches. His ability to extend and still hit shots with power and balls-on accuracy has been amazing.

GoBlue77
    GoBlue77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19052

i said before the tourney started joker would win so i gotta go with that but im not touching no -275 crazy stuff.

if anything i'd take murray for fun. +235

MeatWad
    MeatWad's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 221

Quote Originally Posted by GoBlue77 View Post
    i said before the tourney started joker would win so i gotta go with that but im not touching no -275 crazy stuff.

if anything i'd take murray for fun. +235

I agree with Eagles, Murray is definitely going to have to be aggressive, take chances, and not play defensively as he has in the past vs Djok. Like Eagles said Lendl has improved Murray's aggression as well as his mental toughness. No coincidence that since Lendl has become his coach you don't see nearly as much of that whiney, hamstring grabbing shit Murray used to pull during matches. He is more focused to play cut throat, stoic tennis with Ivan in his corner.

These finals spreads seem too tight. While Djoker should win based on his current form, past history vs Murray, and his dominance on hard courts in general, especially at majors, it is impossible for me to back him here at that price. Murray has gradually improved in the past year, especially in his intangible qualities where Lendl has helped, while Djok has dropped off a tad from his historically dominant 2011 year.

Should be a great match, if you are backing Murray you should probably hope for less than ideal weather conditions. Djok seemed to struggle much more in the damp windy weather vs Ferrer. Murray actually excelled at the Wimbledon finals in less than ideal conditions, until they put up the roof, then there was a complete 180 in match momentum. The confidence boast from winning the Olympics and beating Djok(and Federer) there should help Murray's chances as a clear underdog here, GL!
    Last edited by MeatWad; 09-10-12 at 03:04 AM.

Dr.Gonzo
    Dr.Gonzo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3192

Murray isn't going to fold up mentally, I can assure you of that.
    How exactly can you make that assurance?

Dr.Gonzo

There's a reason you're not a linesmaker, I laid -220. If I could have got on with a UK book at -200 I would have max bet it.

MeatWad

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gonzo View Post
    How exactly can you make that assurance?
    Observing his matches definitely indicates his mental meltdowns/outburst have become more infrequent. Noone in the world can touch Djok at this venue if he is playing optimally though.

Dr.Gonzo

Quote Originally Posted by MeatWad View Post
    Observing his matches definitely indicates his mental meltdowns/outburst have become more infrequent. Noone in the world can touch Djok at this venue if he is playing optimally though.
    I rate Murray's technique and game but he's still a flower. I'd be surprised if we don't see a lot of head shaking and box rants when he is put under pressure. Joker has really been on his game this tournament, Murray's going to feel like he's playing a brick wall at times. Can he really deal with that in a grand slam final?

MeatWad

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gonzo View Post
    I rate Murray's technique and game but he's still a flower. I'd be surprised if we don't see a lot of head shaking and box rants when he is put under pressure. Joker has really been on his game this tournament, Murray's going to feel like he's playing a brick wall at times. Can he really deal with that in a grand slam final?
    True, playing Joker at the US Open finals is going to test his nerves like no other. Definitely can see him feeling helpless after a while. Unable to see any way to exploit Joker's game, Murray might start the bitching and moaning.

I think I reminisce too much on how tough Lendl used to be and mistakenly transfer his icey veins and stoic demeanor to Murray. Murray has toughened up some, but this venue and this opponent could easily have him grabbing at phantom injuries and crying towards his mommy.

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

I think the only way Murray could beat Djoker is by bringing him to the net.
    He can't sit back and trade forehands and backhands. Djoker can hit those back
    all day long. Murray has a good serve and that may keep him in the match but it
    won't be enough to win on its own. I think he has to find a way to draw Djoker
    forward. IMO Murray is the superior player close to the net.

Brooklyn Dick
    Brooklyn Dick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22133

What the last poster says is right on. If Murray trades groundstrokes he cannot win. I like Joker a lot here even though it will be tight. At some point Murray will have his usual fit and Joker will take advantage.

One thing about Joker, he won't get rattled and he just plays solid tennis. Where you know what can happen with Murray. We have seen it before. When he starts with the phoney injuries go to live betting on Joker.

At -230 I like Joker.

zoo youk
    zoo youk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1197

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    I think the only way Murray could beat Djoker is by bringing him to the net.
    He can't sit back and trade forehands and backhands. Djoker can hit those back
    all day long. Murray has a good serve and that may keep him in the match but it
    won't be enough to win on its own. I think he has to find a way to draw Djoker
    forward. IMO Murray is the superior player close to the net.
    Murrays serve is not going to keep him in or win the match like you said. watching the Del Po match DelPo was like 80% first serve in the first set crushing them at like 125+ and Jokovic was returning them and still winning the majority of the points. it was amazing. I expect more of the same tonight.

MeatWad

Quote Originally Posted by zoo youk View Post
    Murrays serve is not going to keep him in or win the match like you said. watching the Del Po match DelPo was like 80% first serve in the first set crushing them at like 125+ and Jokovic was returning them and still winning the majority of the points. it was amazing. I expect more of the same tonight.
    Agree, Djoker is the best service returner in the history of the game. Murray has only gotten 2.17 aces/match more than Djoker anyway at the Open this year, some of that due to playing longer matches.

Murray might capatilize off more serve and volleying, forcing the action and taking more chances himself. . Murray is clearly inferior trading groundstrokes with Djoker, soo he will need to take chances and play a higher variance style, like bad poker players should do against those they perceive to have a long term edge, take chances and hope for some postive variance.

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

Too much wind. Murray is gonna win. It's his summer.

Goat Milk

you guys are underestimating Murray's baseline game big time

no one can turn defense to offense like Murray. He is the best there is at it.

We'll see.

Goat Milk

Looks like I'm right so far Eagles. Lendel gameplan is to stay someone defensive and let Novak make errors. When he's gotten that running forehand. back on offense

Dr.Gonzo

Well done to Murray backers.

Goat Milk's opinion on Murray's baseline game was validated, although I think the wind was an advantage to him.

Murray did well to come out strongly in the fifth with the momentum against him.