tevari
    purveyor of fuzzy green balls
    tevari's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 542

US Open 2012 WTA Preview (cause I'm bored)

No odds out yet, obviously but here is some of my insight:

Potential Upsets:

Stephens over Schiavone: Schiavone is beaten by pace. Hard, flat hitters trouble her and if she can't keep the ball in play, she's doomed. She's been completely average since winning the French years ago, and I expect the opening line to be flat, or around -120 Schiavone. I'll be on Stephens if she's anywhere in the ballpark of -120 to +EV.

Oprandi over Petkovic: Injuries have derailed Petkorazzi's season. When healthy, she can be a dangerous opponent with a good serve & has good depth on her groundies. Oprandi isn't very good, but with Petko's health and form is serious question, she may be worth a shot. I expect odds to open around -250, we'll see.

Gibbs over Cornet: Alize Cornet is an absolute mess these days. Since cracking the top 20 years ago, she's been lacking motivation and has never really gotten off to the player she could be. Her second serve is seriously lacking, and Gibbs has shown some promise in Carlsbad and even taking 4 games off of Kvitova the other night.

Govortsova over Paszek: More of a long shot, but it seems as though Paszek wakes up for a month or two during the Euro grass court season and then goes back into hibernation the rest of the year. Govortsova has talent, most notably on the backhand side. More of a stretch here, but if Paszek is overpriced around -350 or -400 or so, I may take a stab here.

Hantuchova over Pavlyuchenkova: This match is on the Russian's racquet. If her serve is off, she can get picked off by ANY player in the top 100. Hantuchova has shown some reversion to form as of late, and if she's mentally strong enough, I like her to take it to the #20 seed. It'll probably be a break-fest, and a no play for me.

Catandu over Wozniak: The prissiest player on the WTA is named Alexandra Wozniak. Her frustration compounds itself to no end, and once she coughs up a lead or gets broken back, her body language shows it. Catandu is more of a clay courter but IMO will play her tough. Saw a match she played not too long ago and showed a ton of mental fortitude when it came to saving break points.

1st round parlay fodder:

Zheng
    Li
    Petrova
    Safarova
    Wozniacki (if healthy)
    Kirilenko
    Kerber
    McHale
    Errani
    Ag-Rad
    Lisicki
    Last edited by tevari; 08-23-12 at 09:24 PM.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good luck Holmes. I am going to stick to my Grand Slam etiquette and not bet any WTA until at least the 4th round outside of maybe a couple early round fades due to injury/form (and futures of course) ... i.e., Radwanska ... add her to the injury watch. Shoulder is killing her and it showed in New Haven. I would be surprised if she wasn't out by the 3rd round or sooner because of this. She probably should have taken a couple weeks off after the Olympics.

tevari
    purveyor of fuzzy green balls
    tevari's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 542

Thanks friend. Been playing under .500 ball the last few weeks or so. Hoping it'll turn around. I can feel the internet rolling its proverbial eyes at this thread though...

Pinocchio
    Pinocchio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8101

Winners in bold:

Stephens vs Schiavone over

Oprandi vs Petkovic

Gibbs vs Cornet

Govortsova vs Paszek over

Hantuchova vs Pavlyuchenkova (2-0)

Cadantu vs Wozniak (2-0)

Edit:
    Want odds? Here they are, courtesy of yours truly:

Stephens vs Schiavone (2.3 - 1.6)
    Oprandi vs Petkovic (2.25 - 1.65)
    Gibbs vs Cornet (4.5 - 1.2)
    Govortsova vs Paszek (2 - 1.85)
    Hantuchova vs Pavlyuchenkova (2.25 - 1.65)
    Cadantu vs Wozniak (2.7 - 1.4)

I would parlay Wozniak and Pavlyuchenkova here and make a single on Wozniak to be even should Pavlyuchenkova lose.
    Last edited by Pinocchio; 08-24-12 at 12:03 AM.