PharaohUB
    PharaohUB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11458

Raonic next new #1?

Am I crazy to even ask the question? Guy seems to have all the tools and Djokovic/Federer/Nadal aren't going to live forever. Any other young guys with as much potential as him?
    Guy seems pretty good for 19.

I'm saying next new #1. In other words, hasn't been #1 before. If not him, who else do you like?

PharaohUB

Maybe Del Potro?

DailyTennis
    DailyTennis's Avatar Become A Pro!

Raonic is 21(22 this year).

Awesome service and temper.

Net play and backhand are not good enough yet.I think he will soon break top 10 and stay there for long time,but becoming nr 1 is very a long way.

matt1216
    matt1216's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1052

Quote Originally Posted by DailyTennis View Post
    Raonic is 21(22 this year).

Awesome service and temper.

Net play and backhand are not good enough yet.I think he will soon break top 10 and stay there for long time,but becoming nr 1 is very a long way.
    he has the forehand and backhand, just a confidence issue. Once he gets used to beat guys around the 8-16 rankings he will then challenge the best in the world. Joker/nadal/murray/del potros. I bet early next year he hits number 5 number 6 area.

PharaohUB

So who else out there has potential to be next new #1? I dunno why I thought he was 19, my bad.

DailyTennis
    DailyTennis's Avatar Become A Pro!

Great prospect for me is Dolgopolov jr.
    If he manages to gather somehow his tennis he can beat anyone.

Demonata
    Demonata's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5318

I actually feel murray could. He has all the weapons in my opinion.

matt1216

Quote Originally Posted by PharaohUB View Post
    So who else out there has potential to be next new #1? I dunno why I thought he was 19, my bad.
    u will see federer within the next 1-3 years start declining i think. bet joker will be up there for another 2 years along will murray as number 2. injuries might catch up to nadal soon. Murray will hang up there with Joker for awhile. If Tomic atually had a real coach i think theres potential there. Del Potro could be the next big man to be number 1. Guy has the game for it easily.

matt1216

Quote Originally Posted by Demonata View Post
    I actually feel murray could. He has all the weapons in my opinion.
    Murray is awsome, but hes also the same age as Joker. i think they will flip back ad forth but there wont be the solid number 1 for murray.

matt1216

Zopp and Harrison in a few years wil be top 30 players for sure

nicsbr
    today was a good day
    nicsbr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 110

Dimitrov? i won much thanks to him but dunno if he is any good and what his strenghts are

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Raonic doesn't have anywhere near the all surface game to accumulate enough points to go #1. Considering Murray and Djokovic are still around 25, doubt anyone new crashes #1 any time in the next 4-5 years without one of them suffering a majpr injury.

Del Potro maybe could push if he ever finds better health. Think he needs an offseason of heavy dedication to even make a dent.

The Dolgopolov comment was the funniest one by far. Dude would be lucky to find the top 5.

MagicDiceFlow
    blinded by nostalgia
    MagicDiceFlow's Avatar Become A Pro!

Raonic has nowhere near the talents required to be top 5 much less #1. His groundstrokes are light years behind all the top 5. He's cursed from being just way too tall thus his groundstrokes will always be restrictive due to movement.

To be in the top five, it's a necessity that you have two vital skills.....you don't need a booming serve, but you definitely need SPEED & SOLID RETURN GAME. Which those two skills are his worst. If you look at the best ....Federer, Djokovic, Nadal, and Murray...they all have these two key traits, speed and a solid return game.

Even with heavy work in the offseason, at best he'll become a slightly better Isner.....but nowhere near top #5.
    Last edited by MagicDiceFlow; 08-17-12 at 07:21 PM.

freshguy222
    freshguy222's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8359

Quote Originally Posted by MagicDiceFlow View Post
    Raonic has nowhere near the talents required to be top 5 much less #1. His groundstrokes are light years behind all the top 5. He's cursed from being just way too tall thus his groundstrokes will always be restrictive due to movement.

To be in the top five, it's a necessity that you have two vital skills.....you don't need a booming serve, but you definitely need SPEED & SOLID RETURN GAME. Which those two skills are his worst. If you look at the best ....Federer, Djokovic, Nadal, and Murray...they all have these two key traits, speed and a solid return game.

Even with heavy work in the offseason, at best he'll become a slightly better Isner.....but nowhere near top #5.
    add defence skills to that list, the top 4 players are by far the best defenders in the game, look at the rest of the top 10, berdych tsonga almagro tipsrevic delpotro, none of them is a good defender, hardhitters only and therefore wont make it to the top, ferrer is a good defender as well but nowhere close obviously.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Del Potro was a much better defender before injuries hit him. I don't know if he's just getting lazy or scared of another injury - but he is agile enough to be a solid defender with his length and speed. I remember when he won the US Open against Federer, he was gliding around like a Gazelle. Again, I think he just needs to make a decision on getting better fitness or being content to be a Top 10ish talent by being lazy.

MagicDiceFlow
    blinded by nostalgia
    MagicDiceFlow's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by freshguy222 View Post
    add defence skills to that list, the top 4 players are by far the best defenders in the game, look at the rest of the top 10, berdych tsonga almagro tipsrevic delpotro, none of them is a good defender, hardhitters only and therefore wont make it to the top, ferrer is a good defender as well but nowhere close obviously.
    Yep, defense would be third on the list of required skills. I think speed and defense are siamese twins that complement each other.

The two quickest of the top 4 , Djokovic & Murray, also happen to be the best defenders.

jaygator
    jaygator's Avatar Become A Pro!

Probably, probably not.

dww123
    dww123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9200

Raonic is too physically fragile to ever be top 5

GoBlue77
    GoBlue77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19052

atleast someone is talking sense here. raonic a top player lol...wow

freshguy222
    freshguy222's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8359

Yep, defense would be third on the list of required skills. I think speed and defense are siamese twins that complement each other.

The two quickest of the top 4 , Djokovic & Murray, also happen to be the best defenders.
    Nadal is a better defender than them, in my mind, because he often defens from the beginning of the point, I am not only talking passing shots, I'd say the Federer is 'worst' of them because his hitting spot if not clean enough.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

next number one will be djoker or maybe murray. fed will not be able to hold the number one spot. raonic not that great, sprays balls all over the place, maybe top 15 player.

matt1216

Quote Originally Posted by GoBlue77 View Post
    atleast someone is talking sense here. raonic a top player lol...wow
    Give Raonic sometime, Top 10 should happen. For Canadians, they will take a top 10 player