EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

EP36's Weekly Wankoff: Rogers Cup

Decided to just start a thread per week to document my ridiculousness. Smell the money burning. Futures unfortunately have not posted anywhere that I see, so will have to offer some insight on those later when I see some prices.

ATP Rogers Cup

Top Seeds
    1. Djokovic: A bit concerned about burn out for Djokovic. I think mentally the strain of trying to live up to last season's dream run has caught him to an extent. He's still competing at a high level every week, but he's also beatable & on this surface, there will be plenty who can entertain knocking him off. His draw is not the easiest with some tricky guys like Nishikori, Simon and Del Potro. He's the defending champ and probably could use the confidence of winning a big tournament like this - physical fatigue might not be as high as others since he only played Wimbledon & the Olympics, but the mental aspect is what I think you have to keep in mind here with the recent losses to Murray & Del Potro.
    Prediction: Semifinals

2. Murray: For me, Murray is going to be the most fascinating player of the draw. Wining the Gold Medal is going to propel him one of two ways IMO. Either it pushes him to another level where he carries through with an awesome Summer going into the US Open or he potentially falls flat with an Olympic sized hangover. His draw is troublesome with big servers in Raonic and Isner waiting perhaps. The potential third rounder with Raonic should tell you Murray's mindset. If he gets through that, then he could be poised for a run.
    Prediction: Finals

3. Tsonga: Tsonga can probably stroll into the quarters without breaking much of a sweat. Tsonga is someone who can win this tournament depending on how the chips fall. He played well @ this event in 2011, knocking off Federer before retiring in the semis to Djokovic. The weather looks like it won't be overly hot which should also benefit Tsonga who sometimes has struggled with the heat.
    Prediction: Finals

4. Berdych: Berdych has gone from hot commodity/Grand Slam threat to absolute mess, flaming out in the 1st round of Wimbledon and the Olympics. Not sure if it's just been bad luck or a lack of determination. It's hard to think he's going to catch fire after his last two losses and a pretty gross grass court swing, but he's in a very open part of the draw. His quarter has Monaco as the next highest seed and then Fish and Gasquet as others to watch. Fish looked like he was still not quite fit from his Atlanta tumble, while Gasquet could have some potential to upset him.
    Prediction: Semifinals

5. Tipsarevic: I think Tipsarevic is one to watch this week. He's been pretty solid for most of the season on all surfaces and switches to hard courts that should suit his power game. He has to have it all going early though as he faces Anderson or Youzhny first-up and then potentially Cilic or Baghdatis just to earn a QF birth. This is a tough quarter with Tsonga on top.
    Prediction: Quarterfinals with upset potential to make the semis

6. Del Potro: Del Potro surprised me by winning the Bronze against Djokovic. It was a well earned medal for the way he played Federer the round prior and was able to come back and finish things. Of course now the question is what does he have left in the tank after a long week + travel? To me, Delpo is an absolute boom or bust guy this week. He could get a red hot Dolgpolov first-up coming off the DC title or Stepanek if Dolgo flakes out. That could end his week early if it's Dolgopolov. Del Potro has handled him three times in their careers, including twice this season - but if you're fatigued, playing a quirky guy like Dolgo isn't going to help your concentration. It's going to frustrate you. If he does come through though, he could take the quarter with Djokovic up top. Simon and Haas float in his quarter as well, but his skill trumps all of them if he's fit and focused. I'm not sure either of those will be the case.
    Prediction: 3rd round - potential to lose in the 2nd round

7. Monaco: His rise in the rankings has been predicated mainly on his clay court prowess, so now he has to prove worthy on the different surface. He gets the benefit of a weak draw, but that doesn't mean Seppi or Pospisil can't knock him off right away. Monaco is tricky though. He doesn't often play a lot on hard courts, but about once per season he springs a deep run. He may have used that up in Miami this year.
    Prediction: 3rd round

8. Isner: The Big Tie Break has a very workable draw to the quarters. He may see Kohlschreiber on the way, but that's a winnable match on this surface. I see Isner having a good shot to be in position to make the semis. He would likely have to get through Murray or Raonic. The one troubling thing for Isner is that he rarely has fared well in these bigger 500-level summer events. He's been able to dominate in places like Atlanta and Winston-Salem last year, but has normally come up short in Canada and Cincinnati. It's a good year to change that with a draw that affords him that possibility.
    Prediction: Quarterfinals with upset potential to the semis

1st Round/2nd Round Upset Watch
    [1st] Berrer over Tomic
    [2nd] Pospisil-Seppi over Monaco
    [2nd] Dolgopolov over Del Potro
    [2nd] Querrey over Nishikori
    Points Awarded:

ParlayininHTown gave EaglesPhan36 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

EaglesPhan36

Monday, August 6th
    Berrer +230 [0.5 unit]
    Bogomolov-Troicki Over 21.5 [-120]

tevari
    purveyor of fuzzy green balls
    tevari's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 542

Great write up, as per usual. I'm on Berrer on the ML today for half a unit, if he serve well (which I doubt) he definitely has a shot. IMO, looking at the draws- Tipsarevic and Isner should make decent runs here. Good luck if you play anything.

gregm
    gregm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

Great read EP. I am staying away from futures. Big servers do well here from looking at serving stats. Interesting write up on TI about how slow these courts play. I dont care if the air is heavy and lots of moisture in toronto , I just dont want to see tennis being played in the humidity of DC. I dont even like to step outside in this crap, much less players looking like they are about to die out there. If I had gun to my head would probably play Murray to win this, he won it in 2009 and 2010 and I am really wondering what is going with Nole. Novak is probably happy to be on hard courts again and he did beat Murray on hard courts in Miami this year at his last hard court tourney.

Blax0r
    Blax0r's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1512

Great readings!

I'm also on Berrer for a few units.

EaglesPhan36

I am thinking the books are probably being protective on futures too because of the weird schedule this summer. This is one where I will probably look to add futures after they play two rounds. Definitely think it would be wise to see how some of these guys respond first.

tevari
    purveyor of fuzzy green balls
    tevari's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 542

Remind me not to bet on Berrer again. Watching him play is like watching a retard trying to solve a rubix cube.

EaglesPhan36

LoL. He was worth the squeeze today. Not going to win, but he made Tomic work deep into the 3rd. That's why I am only going halfsies on the dogs, to try to sustain a profit on the better picks I like. At least the total hit.

MagicDiceFlow
    blinded by nostalgia
    MagicDiceFlow's Avatar Become A Pro!

I wanted to see how Tomic looked today before fading him. Even though he won, Tomic didnt look good. He shouldnt be a -250 favorite to anyone right now. If the price is right, fade city on Tomic for me on the next round.

EaglesPhan36

He plays Djokovic. No chance to fade on a ML type wager.

MagicDiceFlow
    blinded by nostalgia

Forget that then, thought if he'd play another sub #50 player it be worth a try.

EaglesPhan36

Dunno, Miss Cleo phoned this one in to me. Sat and stewed on it for a bit and decided, what the fork. Baghdatis isn't always a smooth transition from grass to hard court in his first-up. To win half a unit.

Berlocq +4.5 [-120]

EaglesPhan36

Tuesday, August 7th
    Stakhovsky +105
    Haas-Nalbandian Under 22 [-118]

EaglesPhan36

Well Berlocq went from up 4-2 in the 1st to losing the set, 6-4 and then getting rolled 6-3 in the 2nd to make the books look smart. F-ing Miss Cleo.

Weekly Record: 1-2 [-0.10]

nicsbr
    today was a good day
    nicsbr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 110

Thinked about Stakhovsky myself and with you on him, imma take him.

gl

MagicDiceFlow
    blinded by nostalgia

Even though hardcourts are not Granollers forte, Stakhovsky's form has been horrible lately. He's 0-4 last four matches and those losses came from players in the #100-200 range. The only win he's got the last two months is against weak ass Cipolla. Is there something else you see here? I'm thinking about taking Granollers in this spot.

nicsbr
    today was a good day

glad you posted that imma stay away

now he will win 6-2, 6-1

my typicall luck

EaglesPhan36

Quote Originally Posted by MagicDiceFlow View Post
    Even though hardcourts are not Granollers forte, Stakhovsky's form has been horrible lately. He's 0-4 last four matches and those losses came from players in the #100-200 range. The only win he's got the last two months is against weak ass Cipolla. Is there something else you see here? I'm thinking about taking Granollers in this spot.
    Granollers is terrible for the most part on this surface. Stak got some court time in qualis here. If Stak's serve is consistent, the surface favors him IMO.

riffraff24
    ...and out come the wolves
    riffraff24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

The Stakhovsky match isn't streamed is it?

The Bet Master
    The Bet Master's Avatar Become A Pro!

Stakhovsky 0/16 on return points.

nicsbr
    today was a good day

6-4 stak

riffraff24

C'monnnn.

EaglesPhan36

He's cooked. His serve has gotten progressively worse and his return game is non-existent.

riffraff24

Typical. A Euro blowing it. And no..I dont consider Spain to be European..

EaglesPhan36

It was what it was. 50-50 type match, but I expected Stak to have shown the better serve with Granollers not having been on hard courts in months. I remember that one summer when Stak was a beast ... that was pretty much his 15 minutes of fame all used up about two years ago.

At least I didn't fall into the Dolgopolov trap today. I can already imagine the cursing going on elsewhere as per his normal routine of run hot and then drop off the face of the earth.

EaglesPhan36

That loser on the under adds on to more near misses on my ticket today. Feel like punching a baby.

riffraff24

Get em on the next one my dude

EaglesPhan36

Everyone gets bad beats, but damn it feels like a black hole when three or more pile up in successive picks. If one of them would have come through, I'd be cool. This shit though is hurtful.

1. Soccer draw busted on one of the final plays deep into injury time.

2. South Korea gets boned on a possible penalty when I needed them to score to cash a rticket.

3. 2nd half under in Olympic basketball w/ Russia-Turkey looks dead after huge 3rd Q, but then it stalls ojut and with :13 to go its one point under. Up two, Russia FOULS and Tirkey hits one FT to tie the total. So then they have to foul and Russia makes FTs to push over.

4. Haas has mini break in the tie break and promptly blows it. Down set point 6-7, saves off Fatboy's serve and then winds up choking later on his own serve. Under boned.

That was my afternoon of flushing money down the shitter.

Blax0r
    Blax0r's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1512

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    Everyone gets bad beats, but damn it feels like a black hole when three or more pile up in successive picks. If one of them would have come through, I'd be cool. This shit though is hurtful.

1. Soccer draw busted on one of the final plays deep into injury time.

2. South Korea gets boned on a possible penalty when I needed them to score to cash a rticket.

3. 2nd half under in Olympic basketball w/ Russia-Turkey looks dead after huge 3rd Q, but then it stalls ojut and with :13 to go its one point under. Up two, Russia FOULS and Tirkey hits one FT to tie the total. So then they have to foul and Russia makes FTs to push over.

4. Haas has mini break in the tie break and promptly blows it. Down set point 6-7, saves off Fatboy's serve and then winds up choking later on his own serve. Under boned.

That was my afternoon of flushing money down the shitter.
    I definitely commiserate with that; I'm 0-5 so far for ATP side of the Roger's cup, with 3 of them being favorites (probably the only 3 favs to lose so far). I'm seriously wondering if "olympic hangover" is affecting this tourney.

EaglesPhan36

It is definitely something to consider, but it's not something you can just play across the board. Think you have to look at it case by case. I don't think it really applies to anyone who has lost so far.

EaglesPhan36

Well my night turned better, so Hump day - someone is getting FUKKED .. bookies, I'm lookin' at you.

Weekly Record: 1-4 [-2.30]

riffraff24

Hey EP... Just looking over a possible parlay and wanted to see what your thoughts were. Risk to high on this one or you think it could be worth a whirl?

1. 8/8/2012 7:00 PM ATP Tennis 101 Novak Djokovic* -1100 vs Bernard Tomic
    2. 8/8/2012 1:00 PM ATP Tennis 117 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga* -500 vs Jeremy Chardy
    3. 8/8/2012 3:00 PM ATP Tennis 146 Andy Murray* -750 vs Flavio Cipolla

Risking $206.70 To Win $100.00

EaglesPhan36

Those are guys I really want to see play some first personally. None SHOULD lose, but I Djokovic to me seems like he needs a break after London. Tomic has been horribly inconsistent this year, but he's still got the talent to win if his opponent isn't fully engaged. I would be more surprised to see Tsonga or Murray lose. But you also know my feelings on Tsonga that he tends to play lazy tennis that can leave openings in a tie break or late in a set for someone. I do think Tsonga is going to make a run this week, but again would rather see how he looks before backing him at any price.

shimeon40
    shimeon40's Avatar Become A Pro!

good luck riffraff.

shimeon40
    shimeon40's Avatar Become A Pro!

one scenario..could djokovic give his serbian friend a confidence booster in a meaningless tournament to him..just wondering.

1234 Last