MagicDiceFlow
    blinded by nostalgia
    MagicDiceFlow's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sloane Stephens tank theory

I just watched the complete match between Stephens and De Brito tonight and the commentator mentioned that the winner of this match wins $3,000. Seriously, are you kidding me, $3K for a professional match? Now, I'm not bugging about that but here's my theory on this. Who says that a bookie can't pay Stephens let's say $10K to completely tank her second set so that both the spread and sets line doesnt get covered. Ten grand aint shit for a bookie that's betting $50k-60k across all books on this match.

If anyone watching this match from beginning to end, Stephens totally looked like she tanked that second set on purpose. She didnt even try to run down any points and it looked like a total tank job. On the 3rd set, totally different player and resumed her dominating ways. Now I know some guys on here thinking otherwise but to believe that this stuff doesnt happen especially in these low level sub challenger tourneys, you'd be foolish.

I'm going to be keeping my eyes open for spots to fade heavy favorites that are on my tank theory radar. I'm going to fade them on the spread and set lines, especially in the opening rounds of the tourneys. I think they'll be many spots like these available over the course of the season. Stephens is a primary suspect and Youzhny also comes to mind.

Oh and by the way, I did have money on Stephens tonight but smartly on the money line

VikesPhanatic84
    VikesPhanatic84's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4921

I had the other girl +4.5 at -160. I was very surprised at the 2nd set and yes I do agree with u that she tanked on purpose. I am happy but... Lol

MagicDiceFlow
    blinded by nostalgia

Good, glad someone else saw that and agreed with me on this. I thought they would get more but $3K.....I can see that opening up a pandora's box on match fixing. My mac computer that I use cost more than that....lol.

EdwardHaney
    EdwardHaney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3105

This stuff isn't exactly news. That match looked pretty weird but what can you do? There's a lot of flakiness in tennis even without any kind of fixing. Earlier this year at a Challenger in Australia I won a bet on an underdog that that paid me more money than the winner of the match got paid. I'm sure this is the easiest sport in the world to fix but I wouldn't go around looking for "tankers" and try to bet accordingly. I'm not sure that sounds like a good strategy unless you are actually involved.

MagicDiceFlow
    blinded by nostalgia

^^^^Maybe I'll get involved. I'll tweet her and see what I can do.

nicsbr
    today was a good day
    nicsbr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 110

Quote Originally Posted by MagicDiceFlow View Post
    ^^^^Maybe I'll get involved. I'll tweet her and see what I can do.