shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Baker vs Paire... Anyone want to give me some good insight?

I can't get a read on this one at all. Normally I'd just pass but I want to watch this one with a bet on.

I watched Paire vs Dolgo and while Dolgo played like an arse for a lot of the match, he did have his moments of brilliance at times which Paire just shut down, making him work just to win points. For some reason I'm always leery of the French on grass too. Kind of like how the Spaniards love clay, I think there's something about this surface that matches their style of play so it's difficult for me to just fade as normal.

However... I haven't watched Baker this tourney at all. I had picked Nieminen to beat him and instead he got smoked. Wouldn't even have covered the handicap. Was it due to Baker's strong play or did Nieminen just not show up?

Sport_Fish
    Sport_Fish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2039

Not much insight, as I haven't seen the entire matches of both players...but just going by what I do know, Baker should take care of business. I think he's been way more consistent on serve and has a strong one which allows him to win points easily if he gets his first-serves going in, and he is great going to the net. Not that Neiminen is a quality opponent atm, but he did struggle immensely with Baker's serve (0 break points )

On the other hand, I don't like Paire's service game as much. I think if he struggles to get a good % of first serves, which he has, he'll be in trouble because Baker has been ridiculously hard to break...and I'd look for Baker to attack those 2nd serves and should be able to get enough breaks to win it.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9147

A couple of times I've heard Baker sound so shocked to have done what he has already I've been too scared to back him. lol

wtt0315
    This is the Broncos Year.
    wtt0315's Avatar Become A Pro!

I went baker. I look at paire and i just cant see him winning. I have baker winning 61 percent of the time. I just threw out the dolgo match because i hate that rooster_eater because he never gives the effort. I think this will be a 3 or 4 set match

benandjerry
    benandjerry's Avatar Become A Pro!

I took Paire +3.5 thinking it'd be a relatively close match, if I had to pick a straight winner I'd go with Baker, but + games I'll take a shot at Paire.

Looks like Paire's mood swings is going to make this a blowout after 1-1 sets to start the match.
    Last edited by benandjerry; 06-30-12 at 07:22 AM.

Fayt13
    Fayt13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3702

Shari, you gonna add Paire on your auto-fade list after this? :P

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Quote Originally Posted by Fayt13 View Post
    Shari, you gonna add Paire on your auto-fade list after this? :P
    I'm running out of players to bet on.

I don't think this was a bad loss for him though since it seems he was the dog for a reason. I just didn't know enough about Baker to feel comfortable taking either of them in this one. And it's hard to base much off of a Dolgo match for obvious reasons.

The player I am disappointed in today is Zakapalova. I had put small bets on Schiavone and Wickmayer thinking that Schiavone was the bigger risk but it's hard to pass her up at Wimbledon at + odds if you look at her record here. But Zakapalova didn't even look to be trying out there while at least Wicky is still fighting a bit. I'm definitely going to remember that for the future should I be tempted to take Zaka at a chalky price.