JohnnyRudeboy
    Bull In A China Shop
    JohnnyRudeboy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4095

Fade Mardy Fish until he loses chase system

Anyone honestly think this is bad idea? +550 odds make it easy to start

hougigo
    hougigo's Avatar Become A Pro!

If I remember correctly, his opponent has never won on grass in his entire career.... so that made me iffy.
    I know Fish is having health issues, but never winning on Grass concerns me as well.

JohnnyRudeboy
    Bull In A China Shop

Yes. Decided to pass on the first round. Still not a bad overall plan though

hougigo

Yea, good choice... ended up showing heart in the end

bruceBRUCEbruce
    bruceBRUCEbruce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1959

he did not look very sharp today, that's for sure.

hougigo

I wouldn't go against him today though because of opponent.... maybe fade him next round though.
    Today was a good indicator IMO

JohnnyRudeboy
    Bull In A China Shop

Thanks wish I got a chance to watch some, but this helps

JNic
    JNic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 290

What happened to Fish exactly, I keep hearing he had stuff done with his heart or something?? It's almost amazing the draw he has, I mean we don't expect much from him but it's good for him to get these points. I think when he runs into Goffin/Levine then we will have a really tight match

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

He had arrhythmia. They performed some sort of procedure that basically disabled whatever was causing his heart to race. He'll have a tough time grinding out 4-5 sets as he starts racking up court time. His draw is pretty easy to get to the 3rd round though so I don't think it's a great system to fade every round. Ward had to go 5 to beat someone in Andujar who is not good on grass at all. I think Goffin might give him a match. Levine plays the sort of BS that Fish can sit back and do what he did today - serve and hold and win late in the set.

JohnnyRudeboy
    Bull In A China Shop

Thanks EP may look to skip another round and then see what develops. As I understand the procedure he underwent, he should really be unaffected by his overall cardiac health at this point, however, his conditioning is almost certainly not going to be great. Still, I can just see the story developing "Amazing turnaround just weeks off of the cardiothoracic surgeon's table", etc.

Should have just pounded Nishikori like I wanted. At least all my parlays are alive and well.

EaglesPhan36

Yeah I mean if you can guess right on when he is going to be pushed, you might land on a nice dog - but it might be tough to figure out when that is going to be.

Mercersux
    Mercersux's Avatar Become A Pro!

I definitely think that how much Fish struggled in this match although he won 3-0. He only managed one break. I think w/o a doubt Fish pre heart ailment would have utterly crushed Hidalgo. Fish could get past the second round depending on matchup but i say he makes it no farther than the third round tops.

EaglesPhan36

Interesting twist

WIMBLEDON, England (AP) — Mardy Fish says he declined interviews after his first-round match at Wimbledon because of a stomach problem related to pain medication he's taking for his right arm — and not anything related to his heart.

Fish spoke to reporters Wednesday, a day after he beat Ruben Ramirez-Hidalgo in three sets at the All England Club. It marked the 10th-seeded American's first match since a medical procedure in May to try to pinpoint an accelerated heartbeat.
    It was his first competition in about 2½ months.

Fish is still working to get his confidence back with regard to his heart.
    During a match, he says, "The more you keep your mind off it, the better."
    Fish next plays 173rd-ranked British wild-card recipient James Ward.

Not really sure what this pain is related to - if it is some sort of recurring arm issue or tendonitis or what, but this makes me think there is going to be a perfect spot to fade Fish in this tournament. I don't know that James Ward is that guy, but I think as we kind of outlined - perhaps that 3rd round match ... I would say don't even screw around with this 2nd round match. See how it plays out.

JohnnyRudeboy
    Bull In A China Shop

Great stuff EP, thanks!

PharaohUB
    PharaohUB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11494

James Ward is a good player. If you wait til 3rd round Fish might already be out.

PharaohUB

Fish is gassed and out of shape. I hope he doesn't retire, I don't want a push.

Mercersux

Fish please don't lose. I was so looking to fade you third round...

EaglesPhan36

Quote Originally Posted by PharaohUB View Post
    James Ward is a good player. If you wait til 3rd round Fish might already be out.
    James Ward is not a good player. He had one moment of glory @ Queens Club last year. He is a Challenger level player who has yet to harness any sort of consistency - which is why he still runs through qualis for Slams outside of the "home" tournament here where he gets a wildcard. That Fish is being pushed tells you enough about Fish's fitness.

PharaohUB

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    James Ward is not a good player. He had one moment of glory @ Queens Club last year. He is a Challenger level player who has yet to harness any sort of consistency - which is why he still runs through qualis for Slams outside of the "home" tournament here where he gets a wildcard. That Fish is being pushed tells you enough about Fish's fitness.
    If I asked you then every tennis player in the world is a terrible player or is a "mental midget". I like your input but you don't need to always be so down on everyone.

I wasn't comparing the guy to Nadal. I just meant he is a solid player and relatively speaking for a challenger level player he is good. For the average tennis fan if you hear the name "James Ward" he is better than you think and he has a shot today.

EaglesPhan36

I don't say everyone is terrible, I say the guys who are terrible are terrible. I didn't say Ward is terrible, I just said he's not a good player. He's average. He plays week to week about up to his current capacity and most often that is not turning in great results save for the odd good result on grass in his home country now and again. If Fish and Ward played again on an American hardcourt in the Summer, Fish would pass by with ease IMO after he got his fitness level up. Go look at his results in the past year, Ward played well enough on grass last Summer -- all "home" tourneys and had two solid Challenger titles in the summer Outside of that, the guy is average at best + had not done anything since those Challenger titles. There's nothing wrong with being a Challenger level guy who has success, just saying nine times out of ten - Ward is probably going to lose a Best of 5 setting right now against a competent player ranked in the Top 30-40 if they are anywhere near their optimum fitness/health levels.

PharaohUB

The point wasn't how he would compete on US soil against a healthy fish. The point was that people in this thread were looking towards fading Fish in the 3rd round. My point was that he is a good (enough) player to challenge Fish today and not to overlook todays match.

TennisProFrance
    TennisProFrance's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ward isn't consistent but on his day V's a below par fish, he could spring a surprise. What great entertainment though, hats off to both of them for a thrilling match.

JohnnyRudeboy
    Bull In A China Shop

Hope Fish does squeak this one out, but wondering what odds we will possibly see next round if so, can't see him being favored

JohnnyRudeboy
    Bull In A China Shop

No idea who his opposition would be though, I am on my phone at work/purgatory

EaglesPhan36

Time to Go Goffin in the 3rd.

JohnnyRudeboy
    Bull In A China Shop

Fish wins! Let us rejoice as we prepare to initiate fade sequence

hougigo

Hahaha, I agree.... this is the round to fade him

Mercersux

Ok so goffin is the fav. Was hoping we'd get a tad bit more value but it is what it is. Operation fade Mardy Fish still in full effect or what?

wtt0315
    This is the Broncos Year.
    wtt0315's Avatar Become A Pro!

Watching mardy and I wonder how he wins. He looks old, tired and looks like me after sex. I can't believe he pulled that last match out. I wouldnt be suprised if he wins tommorow

EaglesPhan36

I don't think Goffin is going to have any fear here, the one caveat I see is if Fish can start fast - then he could give himself some room to be able to manage his fitness level throughout the match with a lead. I think if Goffin starts quick and wins the 1st set then he puts all the pressure on Fish and it becomes not just a physical battle, but a mental one for Fish to know he's going to have to be on court for a long time again. A plus for Fish is that the temps tomorrow are going to be cooler than they have been most of the week according to the forecast, so he won't be battling the heat and humidity as much as he did in the Ward match. I think this has the potential to be the most entertaining match of the day.

good2go2mexico
    good2go2mexico's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    I think this has the potential to be the most entertaining match of the day.
    Agreed and probably the only straight up match worth betting. I don't see any viable underdogs tomorrow. I do kind of like Fish here though. He ended up with a pretty easy draw all things considered and he can smell the quarters. I don't fully trust Goffin just yet.

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

I'm on Goffin as well. Guy has been playing good and should have a lot of confidence going into the match.

EaglesPhan36

Quote Originally Posted by good2go2mexico View Post
    Agreed and probably the only straight up match worth betting. I don't see any viable underdogs tomorrow. I do kind of like Fish here though. He ended up with a pretty easy draw all things considered and he can smell the quarters. I don't fully trust Goffin just yet.
    Paire for me is a solid bet @ + odds. That match is pretty even on skill level. Baker getting all the pub on his return from injuries, etc has become the media inflated darling. Beating Nieminen like a rented mule isn't all that impressive. I like what Paire has done the last two weeks, playing tough against Ferrer in the Dutch tourney and even though Dolgpolov is an inconsistent piece of Euro trash, beating him in straights like he did was pretty solid.

EaglesPhan36

Fish gets the quick start he needed. If he keeps his serve up like this, Goffin has no chance and Fish may manage this one quick in straights or four sets at most.

EaglesPhan36

Goffin has done a much better job in the 2nd. Got into Fish's serve a little, but still no break opps. Likely going to a tie break. Feels like this set is for the match. Fish goes up 2-0, I don't see him losing.

12 Last