JNic
    JNic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 290

Is Albert Ramos future top 20? Maybe top 10?

I know Gasquet has choked here, but I've seen this guy play a couple of times and he is really really good on clay and his game transfers to the hardcourts well. Deceptive lefty serve, impeccable groundstrokes off both wings, seems to have the mental strength already and his footwork and defense is world class. I can't find much wrong with this guy?

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Think that is way too lofty to think about at this stage of the guy's career. He has to show #1 that he is serious about playing hard court tennis. So far he's mostly decided to stick to what he knows best - clay - and that means he goes slumming in the Summer in the Challenger circuit when the big boys are playing on hard courts. Let's see a full season of playing mostly ATP level events before deciding on this guy. He certainly has a good clay game, but he has to keep stringing together wins in those ATP tourneys. I'd say maybe Top 40 could be a reasonable goal. Higher than that based on what he's shown so far, would be shocking.

JNic

True, true. Got a little carried away there. Hopefully he can make some big noise in clay events and keep getting better on the hardcourts

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Can't beat Andujar on hard courts = never going to be Top 40.

HeeeHAWWWW
    HeeeHAWWWW's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

No way he's ever top10 imo. Even if the mobility and backhand improve a ton, I'd be surprised if he ever made top20. More likely he bounces around 30-50 for most of his career.

Gasquet was sick btw.

kisado
    kisado's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 38

If you even ponder this absurd question, you do not know how to judge tennis talent. This guy is a scrub dirtballer who can occasionally nab a win on Hardcourt. An Albert Montanes-type player on his best day. Probably not even. Top 10?! GTFO!

HeeeHAWWWW
    HeeeHAWWWW's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

Chela made 15, and is still 32 even though he's ancient. Some similarities there, although Ramos doesn't have the rackethead speed. I think that sort of career is the upper limit for Ramos, and then only with plenty improvements.

He's making decent progress lately though - a year ago he was outside the top100, now he's 57 and the clay season is about to start, should pick up lots of points there.

jameswilson799
    jameswilson799's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm a big fan of his backhand and footwork, and I'd really like to see him hit the top 20 someday. Unfortunately, don't think he'll ever break top 10. Need to be a master on all tennis surfaces to end up in the top 10.

ParlayininHTown
    Countdown to death: 1 day
    ParlayininHTown's Avatar Become A Pro!

If Mardy Fish and James Blake can make it into the top 10, anyone can ...

Pride
    rally rally rally
    Pride's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 200

he is top 50 material. guy has 0 heart and is horrific on hard courts

JNic

Quote Originally Posted by Pride View Post
    he is top 50 material. guy has 0 heart and is horrific on hard courts
    Zero heart, are you ******* kidding? He is the definition of a fighter.... And for his resume his performance in miami and indian wells was great for being on a hardcourt