baskets
    Poster of the Month Twice a Month
    baskets's Avatar Become A Pro!

Youzhny has a PhD.......??????

Didn't know that. In Philosophy no less.

Going to need him to contemplate not double-faulting.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

lacko in over his head, crumbling against higher level of competition

baskets
    Poster of the Month Twice a Month
    baskets's Avatar Become A Pro!

Dr. Mikhail Youzhny Earns PhD

Number thirty-five ranked Mikhail Youzhny can breathe a sigh of relief. In front of sixteen members of the scientific council in Russia, Youzhny answered multiple questions about his studies and was awarded his PhD in Philosophy.

"There were some professors from the university there. I was a bit nervous because it was something new, it’s not like a tennis match I’m going to play, which I do every week. I was answering questions and reasoning, so of course it’s different. But actually, when I think about what I said, it’s my life, what I’m doing every day on court."

The Russian had been studying and schooling for the high degree at the University of Moscow while competing on tour as well. The program usually takes three years to complete, but with Youzhny’s commitment to tennis, he was able to finish in six years.

"I didn’t mind if it took 5, 6, 7, 8 years, when I had some free time I could do it slowly. I feel good because I took the time to do what I wanted to do, I finished it, and I’m happy with that,” he explained to the ATP.

Youzhny believes his PhD will help aspiring coaches and players to understand all aspects of tennis. Through his studies he has written how he sees situations and what could be changed to move tennis in the right direction.

"This is my life; I have played tennis on the ATP World Tour all my life," said Youzhny. "I wanted to explain to young players and give them some information about what I think about tennis. So it is mainly for young players and young coaches. I think my mind has become analytical. Basically I wanted to find out the mental reasoning for French players being so soft and potentially Russian players as well. But what my studies showed is that Russian players are rarely soft, it's just that sometimes the mafia gets involved and the players on circuit have to fix a match here and fix a match there.

No matter how long it took him, receiving a PhD while being a top-ranked player on tour is quite a feat. The Muscovite did not strive for the degree to better himself as a tennis player, but to help others.

"I didn’t do the degree to help my tennis career on the court, but maybe it can help some coaches working with young players. I speak about it to some young guys I see and how I think they’re doing, but it is mainly for young coaches who want to be a good coach."

Check out Tennis Express' huge selection of everything tennis!

twinky99
    twinky99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1053

ah so that explains this time where he deliberately hurt himself
    video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiFBKJ9WVTI

maybe he was stressed from all the studying? lol

corgon
    corgon's Avatar Become A Pro!

good for him