brettels
    brettels's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16

Berdych cops it from the crowd

Berdych got the biggest boo's i've seen from a crowd in tennis, ever!

Wouldn't shake almagros hand after the match, all because he thinks he smashed a ball at his face, which actually ended up only hitting his arm.

The boo's he was getting looked like he was about to cry from it.

Thoughts?

brettels

So no one else saw it huh?

hawley
    hawley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

I saw it, pretty poor of him to not shake hands regardless of what happened during the match IMO

Don't watch a bunch of tennis but I cannot recall a time when the crowd booed a winning player like that. Berdych didn't seem to regret it either judging by his interview post match

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9137

Berdy: "Whoever has played tennis knows the court is pretty big and you always have space to put the ball in. And even if you stand just three or four metres from a guy (you don't have to), try to hit it straight at the face."I was just able to fall down and it hit me in the arm.
    "This is not the way tennis is. You always have enough space to put the ball somewhere and not actually try to hit the other guy."

Would love to see Nadal drill it at his head over and again in the QF.

habitualwinning
    habitualwinning's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6311

Berdych is soft and disrespectful. How are you not going to shake hands over that? Even if Almagro did hit it at him on purpose it's totally legal and a smart play. When i had lessons when i was younger my coach would tell me when we were practicing volleys, "sometimes it's a good play to hit it directly at your opponent's body, especially in desperate situations or when you don't feel comfortable trying to pass down the line." Hell in doubles they routinely hit it at their opponents at the net because it's a smart play. If you can't get your racket out in front of you or if you are scrambling and ducking, chances are you won't hit a good return or get the ball back at all. Or if you actually hit the opponent's body the point is immediately over. So it's actually good strategy sometimes. If Berdych can't take the heat he should just retire from tennis. He is a disgrace to all the real pros and old timers out there. The fans in Australia are great and understand the game, that's why they booed him and rightfully so. I would have too if i was watching that match in stadium.

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

I actually don't think Berdych was too much in the wrong here. Yes he should've shaken Almagro's hand but I can understand why he was pissed and I think the crowd went overboard. Tennis is supposed to be a gentleman's sport... in the lower tournies you call your own balls in and out, in clay tourneys, including the French, you see players circle marks as there's no Hawkeye used and you trust they're not being dodgy, players lift their hand and apologise for net cords, there's an etiquette to whom walks out on the court first, which player's team sits in what box, when you're supposed to leave the court after you lose (although many don't follow this). You serve into the body... but to aim for the body when the player's standing right over the net from you is just wrong, although I'm sure some will disagree. But to those who do - how many times have you seen that happen at this level?

I think the crowd was suffering sunstroke and had hit the bar a few times because if they thought about it, they would've booed Berdych and been done with it. This 4 min thing was excessive considering he wasn't in the wrong. Rude yes, but he didn't initiate this. Although not surprising that the crowd didn't castrate Tomic, him trying to hide his challenge was actually worse in my eyes. That's a flat out cheater's move whereas Berdych was merely showing he was pissed. Instead of smashing racquets, he let Muggy know it's not on.

shari91

And I should say, this is coming from someone who takes great delight in calling him Berdbrain and fading his sorry ass so there's no case of shari91 bias here

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9137

It was a bit overboard. Which makes me suspect something was put up on the big screen to enrage so many in the crowd that much.

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    It was a bit overboard. Which makes me suspect something was put up on the big screen to enrage so many in the crowd that much.
    I suspect you're right. If they didn't boo like that for Nouni in the Nalby/Isner match, I can't see how a half full court in the middle of the day would feel the need to do that for this one without some prompting. Even just from the video you posted, the supposed outrage on a few of their faces while they're screaming really doesn't equal the crime. Let him know who you think it was a dick move (as if Berdych didn't know exactly what he was conveying by not shaking his hand) and be done with it. It all just seemed a bit too mob mentality for me considering the actual circumstances.

Allure
    Allure's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15121

Like the reaction.

Diesel79
    Diesel79's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14862

Just watched this from youtube. I once saw how Verdasco refused to shake referees hand but never seen before player refusing to shake another player hand... boo`s were well deserved in my opinion

beefcake
    Update your status
    beefcake's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 178

I know tennis is Gentlemen sport, but the object is to tin the match. I never understood all the apologizing for net cords either, if it goes over and hits the net so be it, don't raise your hand.In the NFL if a ball hits off a Ref and gets caught by the receiver, does the other coach signal to the opposite and say SORRY.. that's bullshit, win the match at all costs,play your ass off, luck is part of the game.

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel79 View Post
    Just watched this from youtube. I once saw how Verdasco refused to shake referees hand but never seen before player refusing to shake another player hand... boo`s were well deserved in my opinion
    Nah it's happened quite a bit... Chakvetadze wouldn't shake Bartoli's because Bartoli tried to stall for time by faking an injury even though she lost the match anyway, Bartoli wouldn't shake Razzano's after Razzano called her out on her fake medical t.o bs also, Kuzzy did it to Rodionova for being her typical crybaby, etc... the list of men who have done it is just phenomenal. It happens and for much more silly reasons than what happened today, yet they don't get booed for 4mins because of it. That was my point.

tevari
    purveyor of fuzzy green balls
    tevari's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 542

Overreaction by the crowd, but Berdych was being a baby.

petermans23
    the whale picks
    petermans23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4703

Look here all of you great tennis fans here!

This is the way it is. Nicolas Almagro is the most unsporty person in the tennis tour. He is an asshole and there are several players who really dislike him a lot. This is not the first time he has tried to hit an opponent. It has happened to several others. Robin Söderling for example has also played several matches against and once didn´t even shake his hand after a match. Robin Söderling has said on several occasions that Almagro is the unnicest player on the tour.

Almagro has also been involved in several games that has been suspected to be layed from his side, where he has had the lead but then very suprisingly lost. I´ve seen several of games he has played where I would bet anything that he gave up delibaratly.

I´ve seen so many games with him and I really don´t like him and his style. He really sucks in my opinion. He doesn´t not represent himself as a nice person.

Of all the players on the tours, and I am very interested in tennis and look at it a lot, my opinion is that he is probobly the only tennisplayer I just don´t like from what I have seen, interviews I have heard and read with him.

Nowadays when he is involved in a game I never bet on it, because I always swell something fishy with him.

My final words is that I don´t think Berdych reaction was only based on todays game against Almagro. I think his reaction and decision to not thank him after the match could also have to do with things that go back from earlier meetings and things that had taken place then. So maybe this was just the water that made the full glas tip over.

Ther you have my opinion on this situation and the tennisplayer Nicolas Almagro!!!!

Yezzir
    Yezzir's Avatar Become A Pro!

I have heard that Almagro is a punk.. fukk him.

Mikail
    Fader of GOY'S
    Mikail's Avatar Become A Pro!

Almagro all but admitted he did it on purpose. When asked if he purposely wen for Berdych's body he said "I tried to win the point" Which I take as yes I did i on purposes because I was trying to win. Bitch move if you ask me and I don't even like Berdych. He cost me a 2k straight wager last year.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Who cares at the end of the day. Berdych is in the quarters, Almagro can go cash his paycheck. Advantage ... both of them over all of us.

Sport_Fish
    Sport_Fish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2039

I agree with the decibel level of those boos...he deserves it.

Hope Nadal gives this douche a nice spanking.

brettels

Tennis insight has berdych to win atm vs nadal!!! are you kidding me??? he will be booed till he is on a plane!!!!! he wont handle it well and could even retire crying about the crowd! we'll see. vamos rafa

jsmithj88
    jsmithj88's Avatar Become A Pro!

i dont understand the net cord apology either
    it can bounce either way
    is my opponent gonna apologize if it bounced and i lost the point?