casola
    casola's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

Tomic vs Federer

Does Tomic stand a chance tonight against the greatest?? Am going to the match tonight, dont want to see a blowout, wouldn't mind putting a small amount on Tomic +7.5 @ +101??

baskets
    Poster of the Month Twice a Month
    baskets's Avatar Become A Pro!

Tomic is still too ripe. think Berdych a la the past. Birdy had Fed 2-0 here a while ago but couldn't finish. Tomic isn't refined yet and he needs time just like Birdy. Although it's taking Birdy a decade to mature

baskets

this really is one of the most collosal lineups in GS history

Karolovic, Tomic, Del Potro, Nadal, Djoker

get through those 5 and you've won yourself one hell of a slam!!!

benrama
    benrama's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

You'll almost certainly need Tomic to win a set for this to hit, so you may want to consider Tomic +2.5 sets @ +115 for better odds as well.

Tomic is a chance tonight, oddsmakers are giving him 1 in 8 or so after all; but personally I can't see it happening based on what I saw against Dolgo.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't think the Dolgopolov match is an accurate indicator to gauge what he can do against Federer. Dolgpolov's game is so full of junky slices and oddball shots ... very difficult opponent and Tomic's camp admitted as much prior to the match. Federer is a straight forward guy. You know what he brings to the table. I said it before, I think their Davis Cup scoreline from last year is indicative of what could happen here although I think Federer is playing a level above where he was back then. For me, this is just one to watch and not wager on. If anything, I'd go with Shari's special and take the Over 3.5 sets. With the home crowd, Tomic can probably work one set if Federer is a little off.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Fed to teach the pushing cheater a tennis lesson.

boondoggle
    99.82% of forum posters are idiots
    boondoggle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

Quote Originally Posted by moses millsap View Post
    Fed to teach the pushing cheater a tennis lesson.
    pushing cheater?

moses millsap

Quote Originally Posted by boondoggle View Post

pushing cheater?
    (1) He's a junkball pusher

(2) He clearly cheated in the Dolgopolov match by raising his racquet mid rally, which the ump didn't see, but Dolgo did and his next shot went out. He notified ump of Bernie's challenge, which he then denied and also continued to lie about in his post match press conference.

moses millsap

I added the link, but it didn't show up,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMbLRHI5uow

STAY STRONG
    STAY STRONG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 120

Rodger is too strong.

benrama
    benrama's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Agree that Tomic can take one set here, it's why I think the +2.5 sets or O3.5 sets bet is not a bad one. Against Dolgo though you could see how flakey Tomic still is mentally - he always goes on spurts where he just dinks shots into the net, and goes on an unforced error binge. You can get away with it with Dolgo - Fed will pounce and punish you.

Tomic is a certified 100% wan.ker, as is Hewitt, and I say this as an Australian who misses the days where we had people like Rafter to cheer for - I'll be supporting Federer tonight and am looking forward to him silencing the crowd - as will happen tomorrow night with Joker as well.

gators0708
    gators0708's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14372

So many people hate Bernard!

baskets

Quote Originally Posted by moses millsap View Post
    (1) He's a junkball pusher (2) He clearly cheated in the Dolgopolov match by raising his racquet mid rally, which the ump didn't see, but Dolgo did and his next shot went out. He notified ump of Bernie's challenge, which he then denied and also continued to lie about in his post match press conference.
    if that's true, man... that's hardocore Elton John-ness

Tomic does seem to me the type of guy that doesn't wash his hands after he uses the bathroom ... whether it be #1 or #2

LovetoSpooge
    LovetoSpooge's Avatar Become A Pro!

didn't see the dolgo match but wow that footage is bad he obviously acknowledged the chair umpire and stopped in the point then changed his mind any decency and he would've asked for a replay. Dolgo was right shitty decision. Not really surprising I used to play a fair bit of tennis here in australia when I was young and 90% of the kids who were quite good were wankers.

moses millsap

His explanation in his press conference after was even more absurd. He said something like he asked the ump if it was in or out during the point, lol. Low class arrogant scum.

Rustyglobes
    Rustyglobes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 886

The only Wankers here are you guys hating on this 19 year old. He is young and with that he will make errors in judgement and learn from his mistakes moving forward. We all know that Federer was the classy superstar he is today from the first day he walked on to the circuit, oh wait no he wasn't - he actually used to throw tantrums and break racquets as a youngster first starting out.

Like i said the only wankers are those out there that are trying to hate on this kid. Have a good hard look at yourselves and appreciate the sport and its up and comers instead of being so fixated on the gambling aspect.

Absolute jokes

LovetoSpooge

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyglobes View Post
    The only Wankers here are you guys hating on this 19 year old. He is young and with that he will make errors in judgement and learn from his mistakes moving forward. We all know that Federer was the classy superstar he is today from the first day he walked on to the circuit, oh wait no he wasn't - he actually used to throw tantrums and break racquets as a youngster first starting out.

Like i said the only wankers are those out there that are trying to hate on this kid. Have a good hard look at yourselves and appreciate the sport and its up and comers instead of being so fixated on the gambling aspect.

Absolute jokes
    he's 19 not 12, he's surely played enough competitive sports up to this point of his life to determine what's right/wrong in a match of tennis. I'd be surprised if Dolgo won't mention it to him in the playrs lounge at this or a future event.

He's extremely arrogant - the interview after the verdasco match was sickening, claiming he pretended to be labouring to trick verdasco pretty big slap in the face to verdasco. Along with the dolgo incident & various other interviews it's quite apparent that he's a young wanker which is to be expected given that a large percentage of youngsters coming through now were coming through when hewitt was big. That's not to say he won't change and grow into a more mature person but it's the state of affairs right now champ.

BTW you're at a gambling forum, not the I love Bernie fan site.

Let me guess you were to same person saying lleyton hewitt was a national inspiration when he was acting like an absolute chop on court when he used to win also?

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9193

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyglobes View Post

Absolute jokes
    Said similar words to my mother before the tourney.

He may not be cute and likeable like Rafter or Cash, but he's got more talent than either of them showed this early and I'm not going to write him off over that personality before he's even 20 years old.

@Spooger... I'm guessing you might be still close to 19 too to think he's even close to mentally mature yet. He really still is a 'kid'. And a naive one. You can see it constantly in his demeanor and thinking.

He may end up being the biggest jerk on tour, but there is an equally good chance he will end up being a public darling too. There is still a couple of years needed for him to sort of which way it might go.

LovetoSpooge

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    Said similar words to my mother before the tourney.

He may not be cute and likeable like Rafter or Cash, but he's got more talent than either of them showed this early and I'm not going to write him off over that personality before he's even 20 years old.

@Spooger... I'm guessing you might be still close to 19 too to think he's even close to mentally mature yet. He really still is a 'kid'. And a naive one. You can see it constantly in his demeanor and thinking.

He may end up being the biggest jerk on tour, but there is an equally good chance he will end up being a public darling too. There is still a couple of years needed for him to sort of which way it might go.
    I'm 26, that being said even in my early teens, while I certainly wasn't playing Australian opens, I was well aware of sportsmanship. I think he's got great potential as a player and has come a long way in the last year or so, I'm not questioning that he has maturing to do I'm stating the current events. What he did in the dolgo match was a clear angle shoot and I'd challenge you to disagree. I'm sure the pressure he's feeling is immense and he wants to win but it was a dick move at the time and he could've said my bad in the interview but chose not too.

I know As Australians it's in our nation to turn the cheek on people and give them the benefit of the doubt if they're good at sport but what he did in that game doesn't fly in professional sport. So that, combined with his interviews, the opinion of a couple of guys I know who used to play on the tour and my experience with tennis brats lead to believe at this stage of his life he is a wanker with alot of growing up to do.

It's not rare and really is part of the culture: Rich country clubs breed alot of pretentious douchebags, Tennis Parents breed alot of arrogant wankers.

I came into this tournament wanting him to do well, my opinion hasn't really changed as 1) I'm not too bothered that he's a wanker and 2) he's not going to beat rafa/fed/djok so it's inconsequential.

Sport_Fish
    Sport_Fish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2039

Don`t overthink...Federer in straight sets.

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by LovetoSpooge View Post
    I'm 26, that being said even in my early teens, while I certainly wasn't playing Australian opens, I was well aware of sportsmanship. I think he's got great potential as a player and has come a long way in the last year or so, I'm not questioning that he has maturing to do I'm stating the current events. What he did in the dolgo match was a clear angle shoot and I'd challenge you to disagree. I'm sure the pressure he's feeling is immense and he wants to win but it was a dick move at the time and he could've said my bad in the interview but chose not too.

I know As Australians it's in our nation to turn the cheek on people and give them the benefit of the doubt if they're good at sport but what he did in that game doesn't fly in professional sport. So that, combined with his interviews, the opinion of a couple of guys I know who used to play on the tour and my experience with tennis brats lead to believe at this stage of his life he is a wanker with alot of growing up to do.

It's not rare and really is part of the culture: Rich country clubs breed alot of pretentious douchebags, Tennis Parents breed alot of arrogant wankers.

I came into this tournament wanting him to do well, my opinion hasn't really changed as 1) I'm not too bothered that he's a wanker and 2) he's not going to beat rafa/fed/djok so it's inconsequential.

Agree with bolded stuff.

Re him taking advantage of the Umpire missing his challenge signal. Yeah that sucks. Is not good sportsmanship. But again, don't write him off over that mistake yet. Crowd willing him on, millions watching, grand slam, he must win at all costs. He either did not have time in that split second to make a considered judgement, or he is a win at all costs and bugger the sportsmanship type of guy.

He won't get much love from the home crowd (outside the media) if it turns out the 2nd option is the case long term.

On a similar theme... did you see the crowd unmercifully boo Berdych after he refused to shake Almagros hand after the match? Need to find a youtube of it if you missed it.

Tomic could do with watching a reply of that post match interview a few times to remind himself what not to do next time an issue like the one with Dolgo comes up. And how Aussies react to poor sports generally.

LovetoSpooge

On a similar theme... did you see the crowd unmercifully boo Berdych after he refused to shake Almagros hand after the match? Need to find a youtube of it if you missed it.
    Missed it but dying to see it on youtube I heard berdych was pretty fired up in the post game interview too so want to catch that.

Also are you saying rich country clubs don't breed pretentious douchebags?

Optional

Missed it but dying to see it on youtube I heard berdych was pretty fired up in the post game interview too so want to catch that. Also are you saying rich country clubs don't breed pretentious douchebags?
    LOL.. nope, I wouldn't know about rich kids an country clubs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kst8B0v_FMA <--- 4 minutes non-stop and getting louder until he left the court!

hawley
    hawley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

How can you not like Federer?

Rustyglobes
    Rustyglobes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 886

I don't even need to add anything more to the conversation as Optional has said it all for me. There are plenty of examples in professional sport of people not being honest in order to win but does that make them a "wanker" or does it make them succumb to the intense media and public scrutiny that they are expected to win.

As for your lleyton comment, your clutching at very narrow straws to try and justify your argument that Tomic should be mature enough and know how to act in every situation on the professional circuit. A) I have never mentioned Hewitt and B) if anyone has little credibility on these forums its you especially after the day that you started a thread calling Derrek Rose a rubbish point guard.

LovetoSpooge

lol even after getting spanked Tomic manages to get a few backhanded snipes in against other players in his press conference.

LovetoSpooge

LOL.. nope, I wouldn't know about rich kids an country clubs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kst8B0v_FMA <--- 4 minutes non-stop and getting louder until he left the court!
    lol need a transcript to figure out what they were saying in the interview. Pretty ridiculous though was a legitimate point and he missed the reflex volley Almagro apologises straight away politely. It's not like tennis balls actually do any damage (I've had guys serving 180 hit me from half court) sure it might sting for like 10 seconds but it's a tennis ball not a cricket ball. Piss weak.

Optional

lol even after getting spanked Tomic manages to get a few backhanded snipes in against other players in his press conference.
    I find it difficult to trust people that won't look you in the eye at all when they speak.

I've noticed a few times he looks at people when they speak to him, but immediately looks down or away when answering. Could easily be more of a symptom of an Agassi style father than a dishonest character though.

innn
    innn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6470

unbelievable, watta pussy -pardon ladies, lived to see this a tennis player with years of athleticism and body building efforts being knocked down by a tennis ball
    fokking hilarious

"there's plenty of space"
    passionate lebensraum has got him as well