EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

EP36/Tevari's WHACK OUR BALLS Competition: Win betpoints Weekly or Die Tryin'

Tevari & myself have been working up a competition to try and promote activity in the tennis forum year-round and not just for the drop-ins for the Grand Slam. This is going to be a "Beat The Prick" type of format where your goal will be to top Tevari/EP36's selections for the week.

Rules, Format and Prize Info coming this afternoon.
    The way we'd like to play this for the non Grand Slams is to start with the Round of 16 for the tournaments in a given week to cut down on the # of matches that will be handicapped and available to pick from. We feel this makes things more interesting for the week and helps you get a feel for the form of the players for a round or two before having to make your picks.

All WTA & ATP tournaments will be available for your picks each week. No Challenger or ITF. Only spreads [+/- games] and totals will be available as selections.

As a service to gain interest for the remainder of the season, this first week's competion which will begin with the Round of 16 matches in Sydney, Hobart and Auckland on Tuesday and will not carry an entry fee.

Going forward from that though we will require a minimal entry fee that will be used for future prize payouts and of course if Tevari & myself are fortunate enough to beat you guys/gals every once in a while ... some points into our SBR accounts for our troubles.

So come on in and try to WHACK OUR BALLS!

tevari
    purveyor of fuzzy green balls
    tevari's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 542

We are trying for a good amount of participation. Any questions post here or PM EP or myself. Cheers!

tevari

Bump

Yezzir
    Yezzir's Avatar Become A Pro!

Top idea. Look forward to it.

EaglesPhan36

And yes the Round of 16 starts in some of the tournaments today, but to give a little time for people to sign up for this. We will start with tomorrow's slate of matches. Rules coming up here in a bit.

BobW
    BobW's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 89

I'm in!

caboman
    UNLV baby!!!
    caboman's Avatar Become A Pro!

I am in too!

Diesel79
    Diesel79's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14862

Nice, Im in

EaglesPhan36

"WHACK OUR BALLS" RULES & FORMAT

Each week, you will be required to make a set number of picks per day. Not counting Grand Slams, whenever the ATP/WTA tournaments for the week enter the Round of 16, the contest will start. A post will be made notifying you when you need to make picks. Once the Round of 16 begins, you will need to make four picks each day unless otherwise noted. Of these four picks, ONE per day must be signified as your "Best Bet" by putting "BB" next to it when you post your picks. All picks will be "to win one unit" if betting on a line of -101 or higher and lines of +100 and higher will be "risking one unit.". The Best Bet will be double the bet size.

Your picks can come from any ATP or WTA match taking place during a given week. No Challenger or ITF matches allowed.

An entry fee will be set each week in a weekly thread for the contest. Contestants must be paid in full with their fee by the end of the final match of the week to be eligible for the full prizes available. If you are not paid for the week, you will not be eligible to win.

**Note: There will be separate rules posted during Grand Slam Events.**

Your picks may only be SPREADS [+/- games] & TOTALS [Over-Under]. NO MONEY LINES.

Your picks must be made based on lines found at PINNACLE SPORTS only.
    http://www.pinnaclesports.com

All matches must be complete for wagers to stand. In the event of a retirement, you will be given the opportunity to make up that pick either on the same day or the next.

When making your selections, your picks must be posted before the scheduled start time for the match you are playing. Any pick posted after a match has begun will result in your picks being DQ'ed for the day. We would suggest that you post all your picks for the day at the same time to avoid running into any problems.

Picks should be posted in the following format:
    January 9th
    1. (BB) Montanes -2.5 [-111]
    2. Montanes-Starace Over 22.5 [-102]
    3. Rochus +3.5 [+102]
    4. Rochus-Kamke Over 21.5 [+103]
    You will be responsible for posting the price listed @ Pinnacle Sports when you make your selections. That does mean there will be some variation in the price even among people who may have the same pick. That is part of the fun. Anyone found to be using an obvious BAD price that was not posted at Pinnacle Sports will be DQ'ed from the competition for the week and any points given toward the prize pot will be kept.

Upon completion of the final day of picks, anyone who has beaten Tevari/EP36 with a better winning percentage/record & the number of units gained for the week will be declared a winner of a percentage of the prize pot. YOU MUST BEAT THEIR SCORE. If you finish with an identical record/win % and the same amount of units, you do not win that week.

You may choose any of the plays that EP36/Tevari choose for your plays, but remember - you have to beat our score!

Anyone who does not pick the required amount of selections for the week will not be eligible to win points no matter what your record was. In other words, if you were required to make 20 picks and you made 18, you are not eligible for prizes.

The prize pool for each week will be announced after all the contestants have been registered for the week and their entry fees paid.
    ======================================== ==========

An overall tally will be kept for the records and units won for anyone participating in the contest over the duration of the tennis season. Anyone who participates in 80% of the season [approximately 30 weeks out of 38 I believe] will be eligible for a year-ending contest to take place during the ATP World Tour Finals. The Top 8 finishers from the "regular season" will be eligible for this contest.

Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 01-10-12 at 11:32 AM.

EaglesPhan36

Please note that this thread will be the place for questions and bullshit talk each week - NOT THE ONE TO MAKE YOUR WEEKLY PICKS IN.

Either Tevari or myself will create a thread each week for the Weekly Contest to avoid having to scroll through hundreds of pages to see picks, etc. as the season rolls on.

Please post any questions here. Shortly, will create a thread for this week's contest. Remember, this contest begins Tuesday, January 10th with all ATP-WTA matches eligible.

Yezzir
    Yezzir's Avatar Become A Pro!

Top work. Looking forward to this, a whole year to look forward to aswell.

BobW
    BobW's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 89

Looking good EP! How much is the entry fee do you think?

And about that Best Bet (BB), how much does that bet counts?
    Last edited by BobW; 01-09-12 at 05:35 PM.

EaglesPhan36

Thanks for the question as I did miss it. Best Bet will be 2x the normal bet. Every bet is "to win one unit". Will update that in rules. Entry fee will be higher for Grand Slams, but most weeks I am guessing 10 points.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Why not make people just post screenshots from Pinny so you know the line is legit?

And, so dog picks will be to win one unit too? a +125 bet will be 0.8 to win 1 unit?

EaglesPhan36

Another good point. No any line that winds up plus money on a total or spread will be "risking one unit" - so for that example, risking one unit to win 1.25. Thanks for bringing these to my attention. Now reflected in the rules.

Screen shots will just be a lot of work and I think will turn a lot of people off. It's somewhat of the honors system. If it doesn't work, then we'll adjust.

moses millsap

Screenshots take 1 minute max, imo. CTRL + Print Screen, paste (CTRL + V) into Paint, save as jpeg, voila

Ok, thanks for the clarification, so base units.

tevari

I doubt anyone will post bogus lines. They will be checked, however.

EaglesPhan36

Quote Originally Posted by moses millsap View Post
    Screenshots take 1 minute max, imo. CTRL + Print Screen, paste (CTRL + V) into Paint, save as jpeg, voila Ok, thanks for the clarification, so base units.
    Well I mean 75% of the people might not mind, but we're trying to make this easy and fun or as close as possible. Most of the guys/gals I know in this forum seem pretty up and up, so the trust factor for me is pretty high to start. Hopefully I don't regret that.

EaglesPhan36

Added this in:

All matches must be complete for wagers to stand. In the event of a retirement, you will be given the opportunity to make up that pick either on the same day or the next.

With spreads and totals obviously the matches need to be completed for action to stand.

EaglesPhan36

Just a reminder that today is the first day to make picks. Weekly thread open in the forum.

EaglesPhan36

Just wanted to start this up in here for discussion since it started in a different thread. For guys who have already played and other who might think about it ...

Do you want the scoring changed to if you beat the # of units EP/Tevari get for the week you win and/or... or do you want win/loss record factored in also? I'm leaving it up to popular vote because this contest is supposed to be to get the most people interested as possible. Please add your opinion.

moses millsap

Think it should be # of units like BTP.

EaglesPhan36

After thinking about it, I think I may just whack the whole idea of having season standings. From the 1st couple weeks here, it seems pretty apparent that there are a few guys who will play every week, but that the field is going to vary mostly. Making it just a weekly competition seems like a better option to allow for more participation. Also considering settling for just making it X amount of picks per week instead of daily. I like the daily set-up personally as I feel it is more of a challenge, but I'm leaving that up to anyone who wants to give some input on that.

Will implement these changes after the Australian Open.

EaglesPhan36

Going to announce some changes today to this after talking w/tevari and taking your input.