MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

How long will U.S. Open be delayed?

Any idea on when the U.S. Open will actually happen? It was supposed to start Monday. However, hurricane Irene is supposed to make landfall there around Monday I think. There could be some major problems with so much shit shutting down like power plants and alike. Arthur Ashe Kids Day has already been cancelled. Anyone got any info? No way this thing happens Monday.

gators0708
    gators0708's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14372

Weather in Flushing NY on Monday is perfect! Question is wheather or not there will be damage to the Billy Jean King tennis center

High of 80 low of 64 and sunny

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Difficult to predict. They think they know when the storm will be in the area, but hurricanes over land do weird things. If the forecasts hold, the weather will be clear as said on Monday - but I am imagining some of the courts will not be playable right away due to water or damage. That to me is the big question mark. How much water gets dumped here? The show courts are pretty much in low lying areas as they are set-up, so a lot of water could mean a lot of trouble clearing them. And if the storm stalls any ... who knows. Wait and see.

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.

I guess it's maybe gonna hit during A.M. Sunday. If it hits during high tide (looks like it) it's gonna flood that much more. A lot of New York is gonna be shut down too. They are even shutting down the entire New York city subway system.

noober
    noober's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5901

thanks for the info

EaglesPhan36

The tough thing is that from what I read they are basically shutting the facility down tomorrow night after qualis are done and won't re-open until Monday. That means they'll have to get crews in there early on Monday or late on Sunday to assess the damage and availability. I think they are hopeful of starting on Monday, but I am guessing that we'll see a combination of some unavailable courts and later start times ... if they are able to start as scheduled it would be a minor miracle and good for us tennis bettors! Of course the later they start, the more we get that late night tennis ... gotta tell you after experiencing it in person finally, late night in NY at the Open is f-ing superb!

gators0708
    gators0708's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14372

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    The tough thing is that from what I read they are basically shutting the facility down tomorrow night after qualis are done and won't re-open until Monday. That means they'll have to get crews in there early on Monday or late on Sunday to assess the damage and availability. I think they are hopeful of starting on Monday, but I am guessing that we'll see a combination of some unavailable
    courts and later start times ... if they
    are able to start as scheduled it would
    be a minor miracle and good for us
    tennis bettors! Of course the later they
    start, the more we get that late night
    tennis ... gotta tell you after
    experiencing it in person finally, late
    night in NY at the Open is f-ing
    superb!
    Iv been to a BCS championship game and a final 4 and have been to a night match at the open.. Nothing better then those 10 pm starts in NYC!

iMxth3xbossx5000
    iMxth3xbossx5000's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 228

I'm right in the middle of this fukkin bullshit to.

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.

Irene is dying down. Looking better!

EaglesPhan36

Water is still going to be the issue + some possible wind damage. The good thing is it appears that the storm is moving faster than expected so that it could be past the area by Sunday night which would give them time to get in and assess the situation ahead of a Monday start. We'll definitely see some play on Monday, just have to see whether it's a full slate or not based on the court conditions.

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.

I think we are looking good now. Irene didn't seem to hit too hard. I think we could very well start on time and have shit go pretty muchly as scheduled.

JNic
    JNic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 290

It's been announced that they start at normal time

EaglesPhan36

Yeah NY dodged it. Good news for us tennis fans! 11am ET start I believe for the first matches.

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.

All courts good to use?

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

EP, no. They just announced first matches are being pushed to 1 PM.

It will begin tomorrow, but two hours later.

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.

The matches are not being pushed back. They are saying that the matches will begin as close to 11 AM as possible. The first match at Arthur Ashe stadium will be at 1 PM.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

why is the first match at arthur ashe relevant, though? I don't see why they'd announce it.