demens
    Square -910
    demens's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

Will you get banned for Live hedging?

Seems like there is a good opportunity to make money there. Not too much but its almost guaranteed. Taking the underdog ML in basketball then hunting for a good number during live bet for the favorite to edge and win no matter which bet hits.

Will the books get rid of you if you keep doing this successfully?

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

not normal books, no. If you can pull that off, more power to you. It isn't that easy.

demens
    Square -910
    demens's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

Quote Originally Posted by yisman View Post
    not normal books, no. If you can pull that off, more power to you. It isn't that easy.
    Have you tried it before? What make it tough?

The way i see it, NBA games are up and down like crazy, game of runs. Even when a fav ends up winning by 20 there is usually a point i the game where the dog is up. Its rare a team leads from start to finish. More often then not you can get more favorable odds on a favorite live then before the game.

It might not be very profitable at the end of the day cause of limits, but it should be profitable.

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

Interesting. Would love to hear more from folks who have tried this. Is it profitable in the long run?

yisman

Quote Originally Posted by demens View Post
    Have you tried it before?
    Yes

What make it tough?
    Because games don't always go the way you expect them to.

If you think you can make money this way, go for it. No book I know of would stop you.

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

This is a tactic best utilised on an exchange.
    Paying -110 on both sides at a traditional book leaves you with very little scope for profit.

JuicedUp
    JuicedUp's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6148

I've done this many times. Never had a problem.

OneLossParlayGuy
    OneLossParlayGuy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1464

Quote Originally Posted by demens View Post
    Have you tried it before? What make it tough?

The way i see it, NBA games are up and down like crazy, game of runs. Even when a fav ends up winning by 20 there is usually a point i the game where the dog is up. Its rare a team leads from start to finish. More often then not you can get more favorable odds on a favorite live then before the game.

It might not be very profitable at the end of the day cause of limits, but it should be profitable.
    depends on how often you would get a live betting option. Im sure books dont keep up with random NBA games like you think they do.

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

It makes sense to me though. You make your original play, which you think you can win, then if the opportunity arises when you can hedge for a profit....... ? If not, take your win... or loss. But why not try to hedge for profits?

cobra_king
    cobra_king's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 36669

Yes you can do it.
    And no it`s not that simple.
    The first time you lock that favorite in at the end of the first quarter at what you think is going to be a number you can hedge later on and then proceed to watch them continue to trail for the rest of the game and never giving yourself a chance to get out. Or when you buy the dog before the game or early on expecting them to make that proverbial run that you allow you to hedge out and they get blown out. It will happen far more than you think.

donnyguru
    Rust Never Sleeps
    donnyguru's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8759

Books would have no problem with this, there is nothing unscrupulous about it. A decent amount of the time, you would be cutting their losses.

JOHON8
    gambling fallacy
    JOHON8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 338

Quote Originally Posted by cobra_king View Post
    Yes you can do it.
    And no it`s not that simple.
    The first time you lock that favorite in at the end of the first quarter at what you think is going to be a number you can hedge later on and then proceed to watch them continue to trail for the rest of the game and never giving yourself a chance to get out. Or when you buy the dog before the game or early on expecting them to make that proverbial run that you allow you to hedge out and they get blown out. It will happen far more than you think.
    Read this post.

Hedging is all about having a strategy and getting your timing right. You can take a dog, but most of the time they odds will rise not fall during the game. Even if they do fall and you bet against them to hedge, it won't be by much unless they look like they are actually going to win.

Mikail
    Fader of GOY'S
    Mikail's Avatar Become A Pro!

I do it all the time if I am offered live betting. If I like the dog I'll put a bet on the ML before the game. Now I hope they have a good lead early in the game. If so I get the fav at +even and guarantee profit. It doesn't always work out that way though. To simply answer your question about will books allow this? I have never had a problem yet!

the_situation
    the_situation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6309

of course you wouldn't get banned by any decent book...it's not as easy as it sounds

1) games don't always go how u think they do
    2) i find often when i livebet, i pass up a good line waiting to see if it gets even better and by then my chance to get the best possible line is gone or i change my mind (if the team i wanted to bet on goes down a lot)

anyways, the best type of site to use this on is an exchange

yisman

Quote Originally Posted by donnyguru View Post
    Books would have no problem with this, there is nothing unscrupulous about it. A decent amount of the time, you would be cutting their losses.
    Books have no problem with it because unless they're hanging a bad number, your chances of beating them at live betting are no greater than your chances of beating them in normal straight bets.

Especially at DSI, for example, where they use 30 cent lines for in game betting.

BET THE HOOK
    BET THE HOOK's Avatar Become A Pro!

Bingo yisman.

andywend
    andywend's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

When the spread in a game is small (say 4 points or less) I like to bet the favorite on the moneyline and take the dog plus the points.

If the favorite wins but doesn't cover, you win both bets.

The cost of doing this is not the same from game to game and it only makes sense to do it under certain circumstances. As is always the case, you want to do this at an exchange where you won't get clipped by 2 "vigs".

wrongturn
    Update your status
    wrongturn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3726

Most games you will have chance to hedge, but only come up with a small profit. In the few games that you never have chances to get out, you lose big. So they kind of even out, before counting the juice.

kkkkk
    kkkkk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16072

tennis betting is much better not to mention that there are much more surprising scores in tennis. just go and bet tennis live and u will see.

batigol
    batigol's Avatar Become A Pro!

very hard , but it is possible

meckis
    meckis's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8089

It looks like easy money but it isn`t

Stefan
    Stefan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 109092

It's not that easy. If it would be that easy, everbody whould use this strategy.

Another sport market which a lot of changes in play are women tennis matches.

NBA inplay betting at Betfair doesn't make sense, because most of the time there's no money in the markets. Women tennis is the better choice.

stikymess
    stikymess's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 63

Quote Originally Posted by yisman View Post
    Books have no problem with it because unless they're hanging a bad number, your chances of beating them at live betting are no greater than your chances of beating them in normal straight bets. Especially at DSI, for example, where they use 30 cent lines for in game betting.
    Spot on, dealing with an inflated line -30 is/would be murder.

LGBoots
    LGBoots's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

Doing this book juice will kill you long term

Only way to this is with an exchange with decent liquidity like Betfair or Betdaq (daq ok for big soccer matches)

FreeFall
    FreeFall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2391

Quote Originally Posted by andywend View Post
    When the spread in a game is small (say 4 points or less) I like to bet the favorite on the moneyline and take the dog plus the points.

If the favorite wins but doesn't cover, you win both bets.

The cost of doing this is not the same from game to game and it only makes sense to do it under certain circumstances. As is always the case, you want to do this at an exchange where you won't get clipped by 2 "vigs".
    Your losing the juice and losing long term

HedgeHog
    HedgeHog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17021

Most Books welcome any and all action (except steam) you give them even if it is on opposite sides.

lukahh
    lukahh's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
    Most games you will have chance to hedge, but only come up with a small profit. In the few games that you never have chances to get out, you lose big. So they kind of even out, before counting the juice.
    good point.
    you will hedge in the profit most of the time - but not much.
    there will be occaisions when dog is down from the very start and odds just go from bad to worse. one such instance will eat profit from 5 succesful bets.

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm kind of surprised that more people have not had positive results with this strategy. In the NBA in particular, where there are often substantial momentum swings throughout the game, this can work out very nicely at times. If you attempt it too often you'll lose everything because the majority of games will not offer the opportunity you're looking for. With that in mind, it comes back to your handicapping ability to determine which teams are most prone to big swings.

I can't really speak to using this on anything other than the NBA. The fairly frequent availability of large MLs and volatility in scoring in NBA probably makes it the most viable sport to attempt it, and I've had good success in a very limited number of games. That being said, small sample size, and most games were events where there was a definitive slant in the pregame line towards the public favourite in a relatively meaningless game.
    Last edited by suicidekings; 07-24-11 at 02:48 PM.

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

i thinki might give it a shot--------------------------------------------seems like a good opportunity

Maniac
    Maniac's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8815

Quote Originally Posted by suicidekings View Post
    I'm kind of surprised that more people have not had positive results with this strategy. In the NBA in particular, where there are often substantial momentum swings throughout the game, this can work out very nicely at times. If you attempt it too often you'll lose everything because the majority of games will not offer the opportunity you're looking for. With that in mind, it comes back to your handicapping ability to determine which teams are most prone to big swings.

I can't really speak to using this on anything other than the NBA. The fairly frequent availability of large MLs and volatility in scoring in NBA probably makes it the most viable sport to attempt it, and I've had good success in a very limited number of games. That being said, small sample size, and most games were events where there was a definitive slant in the pregame line towards the public favourite in a relatively meaningless game.
    The momentum does shift substantially in NBA, but the difficulty comes in being able to spot the change in momentum before the guy trading that game for the book does - most firms have a standard 5 seconds delay on in-play betting, so even if you do see that the momentum is shifting one way or another, chances are that a lot of the time the line would change within this 5 seconds and your bet wouldnt go through.

TryingMyBest
    TryingMyBest's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 954

Quote Originally Posted by DiggityDaggityDo View Post
    It makes sense to me though. You make your original play, which you think you can win, then if the opportunity arises when you can hedge for a profit....... ? If not, take your win... or loss. But why not try to hedge for profits?
    Hedging in general is one of the biggest mistakes that people make. If you are in a position to hedge, that means your original bet is in a better position to cash than when you made it, and there will almost always be more equity in your original wager in the long run. When gambling, people tend to get obsessed with making "something". See taking the even money option in BJ when a dealer shows an A

yisman

Quote Originally Posted by suicidekings View Post
    I'm kind of surprised that more people have not had positive results with this strategy. In the NBA in particular, where there are often substantial momentum swings throughout the game, this can work out very nicely at times.

Sure it can. Other times you get buried chasing as the line on your side gets worse and worse. You hammer the Bulls +8.5, only to see the Bulls continue to tank the game.

Good luck beating the in play lines, which are typically juiced more than regular lines. Bodog and DSI use 30 cent lines for in play baseball, for example. Pinnacle and 5 Dimes use 20 cent lines, I believe.

There will be times when you nail it, but books are more than happy to see you try live hedging, because they'll beat you long term at this, and also because hedging is -EV.

v1y
    v1y's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1633

Every live hedge I've ever made has cost me money. Original bet would have won every time.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21653

You're going to end up with small wins and big losses. And are you going to cover immediately at the first chance or wait until you think it makes sense. It's easy to plan to cover, but then when it's in play you don't want to give up what might look like a good play.

As to the original question, I don't see any issue with playing both sides like this at the same book. Would never even have considered it an issue.

OSUCOWBOYS
    OSUCOWBOYS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 570

Huge hold to outrun. Better off throwing darts on Scottrade for $7 a whip.

12 Last