the_situation
    the_situation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6309

Betfair

Thinking about signing up on there over Matchbook (better financial state) because I need an exchange, but the prices are HORRIBLE. What is so good about this book besides the fact that it's an exchange? The prices you get are WORSE than Pinny, 5Dimes and almost as bad as some 20 cent books and you have to pay a commission fee on top?

You can't even bet NBA spreads, only ML's?

Can someone enlighten me as to what im missing here or is it just an exchange meant for European sports? (no doubt they have a lot of soccer options)

protein
    protein's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 751

Just follow some major markets for a while and You´ll get the point what´s it about Betfair.

Jontheman
    Jontheman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4073

Not sure how you work that out or what the hell you're looking at. Just did a random test of the first match on Betfair's NBA list compared to Pinny:

Detroit +162 at Pinny
    Detroit 2.68 (+168) at Betfair before commission.

Detroit+4.5 -108 Pinny
    Detroit+4.5 1.98 (-102) at Betfair before commssion

Not saying its exceptional, but it's in the same ballpark, especially if you're betting sufficient volume to reduce your commission. If you're line-shopping then sometimes it will be better than Pinny on one side.

Betfair currently offering Match odds, also handicaps and totals on full match, 1st half and 1st quarter on the match above, and every other NBA match. It's not hard to find....

Are you sure you're not looking at tomorrow's matches? Betfair puts up the moneyline much earlier than its other markets, as it can't know what spread/total to put up until a market has formed (it has no odds compilers so it can't be first up with a handicap as it has no clue what it should be - it's not in the business of setting lines remember)

Perhaps you should actually look round the site properly before you criticise it. And yes, as an exchange based in the UK that does not accept US customers, it's pretty obviously going to be focused on UK and Europe markets. Remember that NBA and NHL are obscure niche sports that happen in the middle of the night in Europe. Soccer and Horse-racing are the big 2 in terms of volume.
    Last edited by Jontheman; 02-14-11 at 03:40 PM.

fido007
    fido007's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

after you start betting you get discount based on points earned from winning wagers.these discounts can take the 5% down to 2% fairly quickly depending on how many wagers you win and your volume

the sink
    the sink's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by fido007 View Post
    after you start betting you get discount based on points earned from winning wagers.these discounts can take the 5% down to 2% fairly quickly depending on how many wagers you win and your volume
    lol, ye very easy to get down to 2% commision at betfair...

Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20489

I'm a keen price shopper and have accounts with Betfair, Pinnacle and several others.
    The fact that my turnover is much greater at Betfair than any other shop proves that their prices (at least for what I bet on) are at least as good as the best in the market.
    But you need to know how to use an exchange. Don't just look at the price currently on offer. Ask for the price you want.
    If you are only into US sports however you will find that Matchbook is the better option. For everything else Betfair wins out.

LMAOFISH
    LMAOFISH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

Betfair is for soccer, not american sports.

Hareeba!

Quote Originally Posted by LMAOFISH View Post
    and racing, and tennis, and golf, and cricket, and AFL, and NRL, and rugby, and F1 and and and and and .....

and even LIVE US sports

the_situation

Thanks for the replies...I haven't deposited any money in yet so maybe im not seeing the updated lines? (It says you must deposit for latest lines so idk)

And just to confirm you can't bet any NBA spreads?

I just looked at the UEFA Soccer TO Qualify lines and they were horrible compared to Pinny and 5Dimes so that's what I was refering to..maybe ill deposit and give them a try though.

the_situation

Quote Originally Posted by Hareeba! View Post
    I'm a keen price shopper and have accounts with Betfair, Pinnacle and several others.
    The fact that my turnover is much greater at Betfair than any other shop proves that their prices (at least for what I bet on) are at least as good as the best in the market.
    But you need to know how to use an exchange. Don't just look at the price currently on offer. Ask for the price you want.
    If you are only into US sports however you will find that Matchbook is the better option. For everything else Betfair wins out.

Santo
    Santo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

You can bet NBA spreads.

Stacocakes
    Stacocakes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 538

Betfair is a must have if you can play there. Deposit and withdrawls are processed fast and it has live betting on every game for all sports. Some games have better liquidity then others but they all have better liquidity then matchbook's ingame's. Definately a must have if you like to bet in-play

the_situation

Quote Originally Posted by Santo View Post
    You can bet NBA spreads.
    You sure? I can only see ML's.

Another question for anyone who plays there...is it possible to change Decimal odds to American Odds?

Stacocakes

Not 100% but I do believe that you cannot change the decimal odds to american. Takes some getting used to but after a bit decimal odds will be easy to convert in your head

kostasgr
    kostasgr's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think the prices are not so bad as you say...
    They offer spread at nba...

protein

What I meant was that if timing is correct You can find very good prices at Betfair. There is certain patterns when markets move at Betfair and different markets move little differently. Don´t just judge Betfair by brief look.

Art Vandeleigh
    Art Vandeleigh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

There are many many good things about Betfair, a few bad as well. The good dwarfs the bad though.

the_situation

Thanks guys. Most likely gonna make a deposit tomorrow. Can anyone confirm 100% they have NBA spreads because I don't see them?

the sink
    the sink's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by the_situation View Post
    Thanks guys. Most likely gonna make a deposit tomorrow. Can anyone confirm 100% they have NBA spreads because I don't see them?
    They do not have spreads yet, they will be up later(hours)
    1spread for each game, betfair is not really good for nba spreads but great for moneyline

Hareeba!

Thanks for the replies...I haven't deposited any money in yet so maybe im not seeing the updated lines? (It says you must deposit for latest lines so idk)

And just to confirm you can't bet any NBA spreads?

I just looked at the UEFA Soccer TO Qualify lines and they were horrible compared to Pinny and 5Dimes so that's what I was refering to..maybe ill deposit and give them a try though.
    of course you can bet NBA spreads

if you don't like the odds on offer and have the time, ask for a few cents better than Pinnacle (and allow for comm.) and you have an excellent chance of getting matched

the_situation

Quote Originally Posted by Hareeba! View Post
    of course you can bet NBA spreads

if you don't like the odds on offer and have the time, ask for a few cents better than Pinnacle (and allow for comm.) and you have an excellent chance of getting matched
    thanks, its just when i check i never see them up.

Hareeba!

thanks, its just when i check i never see them up.
    yeah they aren't the fastest to put them up but they will be there in due course

davidchong
    davidchong's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 697

betfair the best for soccer

jimbo747
    jimbo747's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Betfair are excellent for outsiders. If you want to bet on favs, look at coral, will hill, If you want the draw look at stan james/betpack.

Stacocakes

Yes Betfair has the ml,spread and total for all NBA games. When the game goes live the spread stays the same but the price of it changes.Kinda like how matchbook is.

Stacocakes

Another great bet is outright markets at betfair. If you look at the outrights for golf,tennis...sports like those, the outright prices you can get on particular players is way more then the regular books offer.

Sawyer
    Sawyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6650

Quote Originally Posted by LMAOFISH View Post
    MAny times, I found much better hockey odds in Betfair, even higher then Pinnacle. (Hockey comission is %2)

Picked Minnesota at +111 & +115 today when it was +107 at Pinnacle.
    When Minny is -104 @ Pinnacle, it was +102 at Betfair. (After %2 comission, it makes +100)

Also good for bases..but not really good for basketball spread bets. Only ML.

Hareeba!

Quote Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
    (Hockey comission is %2)

Commission on this market

5% Market Base Rate (minus your discount)

protein

Sawyer is BS on the rookies. Base rate NHL is 5%.

King_Suckerman
    King_Suckerman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12903

Quote Originally Posted by protein View Post
    Sawyer is BS on the rookies. Base rate NHL is 5%.
    Yeah, hilarious.