Gingervitis
    Gingervitis's Avatar Become A Pro!

Betting Exchanges

Aside from Matchbook, are there any other exchanges available to US customers?

Gingervitis
    Gingervitis's Avatar Become A Pro!

Any other US gamblers on here use exchanges?

I've been a big fan of Matchbook for awhile now but it seems to be a ghost town of late. I'd love to open a Betfair account, but restricted. Any other suggestions?

sdtrader
    Update your status
    sdtrader's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40577

Betmaker is another option I've heard of, but I don't think their liquidity is any better than Matchbook though.

BranchDavidian
    BranchDavidian's Avatar Become A Pro!

Betmaker is not an exchange. It is the same book as Bookmaker, which has excellent "liquidity". There seems to be a lot of confusion about Betmaker and exchanges. I just came from the thread immediately above this one and found the same wrong info there. It seems like people are confusing Betmaker with Betfair.

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss
    sideloaded's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by BranchDavidian View Post
    Betmaker is not an exchange. It is the same book as Bookmaker, which has excellent "liquidity". There seems to be a lot of confusion about Betmaker and exchanges. I just came from the thread immediately above this one and found the same wrong info there. It seems like people are confusing Betmaker with Betfair.
    But betmaker is a betting exchange.

horja1
    Grrrrrr
    horja1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Betfair does not allow US citizens?

Chopsticks
    Chopsticks's Avatar Become A Pro!

You can try 2x2bets.com. They are a turnkey operation of GBE but the company specifically behind 2x2bets is based out of Costa Rica. You will not be able to sign up through betdaq or betmate (both GBE), but you can try 2x2bets. I know someone from Turkey plays there despite GBE does not really allow them. Worth a try anyway. Probably not a lot of funding methods for you though since you can't use moneybookers, Web$ etc.

jackkkk2009
    jackkkk2009's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3882

So far, only matchbook is the best exchange for US players.

thespeculator
    thespeculator's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13168

there is one called betliner, i am pretty sure us players can use it , also parlaymakers has an exchange, never used either though, matchbook is good enough for me

Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20357

Quote Originally Posted by horja1 View Post
    Betfair does not allow US citizens?
    true
    they'd love to but Uncle Sam is the spoilsport

BranchDavidian
    BranchDavidian's Avatar Become A Pro!

My apologies fellas. Seems I have been guilty of providing false info. Betmaker merged with bookmaker a few years back. But at some later date, separated from bookmaker to become an exchange. Please forgive me for my ignorance!

Johnnythunder
    Johnnythunder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 803

matchbook is the best for us players but we need a new one and pronto

mtneer1212
    mtneer1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3369

Matchbook is really your only option.

loyd
    loyd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1758

Quote Originally Posted by mtneer1212 View Post
    Matchbook is really your only option.
    what about WSEX? are they out of business? their site is still running.

dbDan
    dbDan's Avatar Become A Pro!

its hard for me to understand why exchanges are not taking over.

Hareeba!

Quote Originally Posted by loyd View Post
    what about WSEX? are they out of business? their site is still running.
    yes but are they paying?

Hareeba!

Quote Originally Posted by dbDan View Post
    its hard for me to understand why exchanges are not taking over.
    well Betfair's done a pretty darn good job of it

unfortunately for Americans though they can't use Betfair and things have been made far too difficult for most of them to be bothered with trying to use Matchbook, even if they are aware that there is even such a thing as a betting exchange

it will all change one day but don't hold your breath waiting to see it

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9208

Betfair seemed way too hard to get my head around properly for probably the first half a dozen times I looked at it.

It's not just learning how it works, but learning to think differently about your betting too. I think that's what slows down the growth most.

Hareeba!

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    Betfair seemed way too hard to get my head around properly for probably the first half a dozen times I looked at it.

It's not just learning how it works, but learning to think differently about your betting too. I think that's what slows down the growth most.
    Betfair's growth has been phenomenal, so that sort of makes your statement a bit hard to reconcile with reality. It really ain't rocket science.

Optional

Personally I think Betfair could be multiples of the size it is, even without US bettors, if not for the initial shock factor at how different it is.

Most gamblers want to get on, place a bet instantly, when they have the urge, and move on. Out of all my Australian friends that gamble regularly less than a quarter use Betfair at all... and only a couple of us actually prefer it over the TAB.

*Edit: and without the hype and a legal name like Betfair, Matchbook must have even more trouble signing up casual bettors... who after all are the supposed to be he majority of losers we want to play against.
    Last edited by Optional; 01-30-11 at 02:18 AM.

Hareeba!

Most gamblers want to get on, place a bet instantly, when they have the urge, and move on. Out of all my Australian friends that gamble regularly less than a quarter use Betfair at all... and only a couple of us actually prefer it over the TAB.
    do these guys actually bet on line?

are they at all serious about their betting?

Optional

Not as serious as many SBR members. But I'm thinking of 10 or 15 people who have a punt at least weekly.

I guess you need to experience how good the TAB or Centrebet is to understand it at all.

But you're right in that they leave money on the table most times.

Hareeba!

Not as serious as many SBR members. But I'm thinking of 10 or 15 people who have a punt at least weekly.

I guess you need to experience how good the TAB or Centrebet is to understand it at all.

But you're right in that they leave money on the table most times.
    I've experienced Centrebet alright and their gutless limiting and outright banning me from racing products.

And TAB's generally poor odds (but nonetheless a very useful book to have and they will take a decent wager) but if you're talking racing then they are a waste of time other than for exotics.

A punt at least weekly doesn't really constitute serious betting in most cases. If and when they grow up they will surely learn that Betfair is an essential.

VTranX
    VTranX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 314

bump

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by Hareeba! View Post
    I've experienced Centrebet alright and their gutless limiting and outright banning me from racing products.

And TAB's generally poor odds (but nonetheless a very useful book to have and they will take a decent wager) but if you're talking racing then they are a waste of time other than for exotics.

A punt at least weekly doesn't really constitute serious betting in most cases. If and when they grow up they will surely learn that Betfair is an essential.
    LOL, I'll tell my dear old Mum she needs to grow up a little then.

Not arguing that Betfair isn't essential if you can use it and you're serious. Just that as regulars we probably forget how different it looked at first.

If Matchbook could come up with an interface that mimicked regular books I suspect they could draw in more US players. Particularly the casual ones.

allang84
    allang84's Avatar Become A Pro!

betfair is good but does anyone realise that you are charged between 2% and 5% commision on all winning bets and if you are a long term winner then you also have to pay a premium charge too wich isnt cheap, this makes betfairs prices only slightly better than the better books.

also the uk government is looking into taxing long term winners on betfair as just now most of them dont pay tax. betting is tax free in the uk but u are acting as the bookmaker when using betfair.

I used betfair for years but one day u would log into ur account and there was £500 missing that had gone to the premium charge.

americans like it nice and simple placing a bet, and being paid, thats why matchbook and others arent big business in the states.

Optional

Is the premium charge a UK only thing?

allang84

Is the premium charge a UK only thing?
    no i think its everyone, not worth the hassle in my opinion, pure greed on betfairs behalf!!!

they say it 1 or 2% of betfair users paying it but i think it may be more,

the Americans arent really missing much apart from you can bet inplay!!

zebras99
    zebras99's Avatar Become A Pro!

Right now, I use betdaq which charges only 2.5% for the next few months. Really good experience.

allang84

Quote Originally Posted by zebras99 View Post
    Right now, I use betdaq which charges only 2.5% for the next few months. Really good experience.
    in my opinion betdaq is miles better than betfair, may not have the liquidity or amount of in-play games but at least you dont get treated like crap, betfair are total robbers!!!!

potless
    potless's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 162

If and when they grow up they will surely learn that Betfair is an essential.
    Unless you are trading in-play then really they aren't essential. You seem to have a great deal of difficulty understanding this but perhaps as you gain more experience and grow up a little the penny will finally drop.

Hareeba!

Quote Originally Posted by allang84 View Post
    betfair is good but does anyone realise that you are charged between 2% and 5% commision on all winning bets and if you are a long term winner then you also have to pay a premium charge too wich isnt cheap, this makes betfairs prices only slightly better than the better books.

also the uk government is looking into taxing long term winners on betfair as just now most of them dont pay tax. betting is tax free in the uk but u are acting as the bookmaker when using betfair.

I used betfair for years but one day u would log into ur account and there was £500 missing that had gone to the premium charge.

americans like it nice and simple placing a bet, and being paid, thats why matchbook and others arent big business in the states.
    Yes the Premium Charge stinks but only very few are hit with it - mostly traders - regular punters really need not fear it. And it's not as though it just hits you out of the blue - you are told when it will start to apply and nobody forces you to keep betting there after that. But you really still need to do the maths to work out your net odds when using Betfair.

The biggest reason why Matchbook or another exchange aimed at the US isn't big is the extreme difficulty placed in the way of US punters using any offshore books and the fact that probably only a minority of them even know that betting exchanges exist. Given equal opportunity a Betfair type exchange would be just as popular with Americans as it has proved with the rest of the world.

Hareeba!

Quote Originally Posted by potless View Post
    Unless you are trading in-play then really they aren't essential. You seem to have a great deal of difficulty understanding this but perhaps as you gain more experience and grow up a little the penny will finally drop.
    After a decade of using them I think I know damned well how essential they are to me.

Clearly you are the one who needs to learn the truth about how valuable Betfair is and/or how to use it.

The simple fact is that I only place a bet there when it is the best price available to me and that accounts for a very high proportion of my overall turnover. And yes I can use Pinnacle and all the other leading books outside of Europe.

Nowhere else can I post an offer on most sports for better than is available anywhere else and get matched at least as often as not, or lay a horse to lose.

In play trading online is something i would like to do there but can't so really that is not what makes it essential to me.

potless
    potless's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 162

After a decade of using them I think I know damned well how essential they are to me.
    Essential to you is quite different to being essential for everyone.
    Clearly you are the one who needs to learn the truth about how valuable Betfair is and/or how to use it.
    Oh dear - bf has some uses but we appear to place very different values on their simple offerings
    The simple fact is that I only place a bet there when it is the best price available to me and that accounts for a very high proportion of my overall turnover. And yes I can use Pinnacle and all the other leading books outside of Europe.
    Maybe this is your problem - you just aren't very good at finding the best prices. I suppose bf may be an option for those who just aren't able get the best prices elsewhere.
    Nowhere else can I post an offer on most sports for better than is available anywhere else and get matched at least as often as not, or lay a horse to lose.
    Back to your problem at not being good at finding decent prices I guess but there are several other exchanges which do just the same as bf at less comms normally.
    Essential to you is quite different to being essential for everyone. In play trading online is something i would like to do there but can't so really that is not what makes it essential to me.
    In-play is bf's biggest advantage over it's competitors and you don't use that how odd.
    Anyway best of luck dodging the pc.

Hareeba!

Quote:

Essential to you is quite different to being essential for everyone.

I'm not really different to the majority of punters. You are the one out of step with the majority.

Oh dear - bf has some uses but we appear to place very different values on their simple offerings

Not sure what that is supposed to mean

Maybe this is your problem - you just aren't very good at finding the best prices. I suppose bf may be an option for those who just aren't able get the best prices elsewhere.

Oh really? So where can you regularly obtain better prices than at Betfair, Pinnacle, SBO, 188, and (for US sports) Matchbook?
    I do okay obtaining best prices. The reason why I've limited at something like 25+ crappy books.

Back to your problem at not being good at finding decent prices I guess but there are several other exchanges which do just the same as bf at less comms normally.

Yes there are a few other exchanges but the liquidity is so much lower that the chance of getting matched for as much as I want is greatly diminished and those I've looked at don't have anywhere near the coverage offered by Betfair.

In-play is bf's biggest advantage over it's competitors and you don't use that how odd.

Not really so odd. I don't use it for the same reason that Americans don't use Betfair, Pinnacle and Moneybookers .. how odd of them!

Anyway best of luck dodging the pc.

Luck won't play a part in that

12 Last