SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Is Betfair in the wrong here?

Earlier today there was a tennis match between John Isner and Jessie Levine. All major scoreboards including the official ATP Tennis website, CBS, and Betfair's own live game scorer incorrectly had Isner leading the match comfortably.

Thus, as you can imagine, a ton of money was wagered in-game on Isner even as he was at the edge of defeat, and at ridiculous odds. Again it's not as if this was just a lone error with Betfair, all the major scoreboards had this one utterly wrong, as if they were all scraping off each other.

Betfair's position is to NOT void any live wagering made on this match, as they don't feel responsible for the live updates errors that misled their customers.

Wheell
    Wheell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1022

betfair's own scorer having the score wrong could be an issue, but I presume they have a standard disclaimer. I think they are making the correct decision.

InTheHole
    InTheHole's Avatar Become A Pro!

You're going to hate me (I could understand why) but I'm on their side. In no way are they affiliated with these services whether they have a feed their scores or not. It would be nice if they voided those wagers (since everyone had the wrong information) however what type of precidence would that set?

InTheHole
    InTheHole's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheell View Post
    betfair's own scorer having the score wrong could be an issue, but I presume they have a standard disclaimer. I think they are making the correct decision.

Alot of books just use a feed from a major scoreboard site.

SBR Lou

Quote Originally Posted by Wheell View Post
    Right, I'm sure there's a disclaimer but I can understand the customers being pissed off. This is the same book which is very big on monitoring tennis betting irregularities, reporting those to tennis officials, even going so far as voiding a match they deemed there being a potential fix on etc.

It might be a stretch correlating the two, but bets were made which would have never been made as a result of the huge error broadcast by their very own scoring updates, as well as others. So even if one were double or triple checking the major scoring updates, Betfairs, CBS, ATP etc they'd still have made the wrong in-game bets.

Wheell
    Wheell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1022

Quote Originally Posted by crazyl View Post
    Right, I'm sure there's a disclaimer but I can understand the customers being pissed off. This is the same book which is very big on monitoring tennis betting irregularities, reporting those to tennis officials, even going so far as voiding a match they deemed there being a potential fix on etc.

It might be a stretch correlating the two, but bets were made which would have never been made as a result of the huge error broadcast by their very own scoring updates, as well as others. So even if one were double or triple checking the major scoring updates, Betfairs, CBS, ATP etc they'd still have made the wrong in-game bets.
    What you are saying is true but unimportant. It is not Betfair's problem if the score is wrong anywhere else, and again, presuming they have the standard disclaimer the score can be wrong on their site as well.

Yes people made bad bets on inaccurate information. Personally I just wish I was at the match with an IPhone and a large bankroll at Betfair. I would have made close to a million pounds. The interesting thing is what if I were the guy at the match with the IPhone... and I bribed the guy doing to scoring on the website? I actually know one of the people that works for IBM at the grand slams. It would be an interesting situation.

AgainstAllOdds
    From the Villas to world #1
    AgainstAllOdds's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think the bigger questions is did you cash in one it? I would think if you were getting the hugh odds on the winning player and he won, there would be no complaints. But then maybe this action would be considered taking a shot?

Either way I personally think a player is responsible for knowing exactly what the score is and then betting accordingly. Even if the book has it incorrectly. (I know I say this and I would hate to be on the other side, But Im speaking the truth.)

fingas
    fingas's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

from my experience the bookies use a feed from the scores.

And a faster one, i believe since they pay for it, not like the live feed atp gives to everyone on their pages.

Last year i also had bet on an obscure girl tournament and my bet was a losing one, although betfair payed me as a winning bet. Some hours later they corrected like it should be.

The principal problem of this is why do the bookies offer matches LIVE when only a scoreboard is the information they all got.
    Betfair as an exchange shouldn't care about this but a bookie should since are they who offer odds.

But what amazes me even more is the fact that so many US tournaments (the ones called mikey mouse tournaments) have so less information like a decent livescoreboard.
    Sometimes even the schedule of the matches is hard to find.

As a big nation with all the technology associated, this is something that should to be improved.
    Here in europe, some challengers have greater sites that some of those ATP tournaments.

fingas
    fingas's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

I'd like to point out that also some ATP tournaments have "obscures" livescores, with many mistakes. saw some of these in the French tournaments, don't like to suppose but i think those in charge of the scoreboard could do some gambling between points putting mistaken points in the scoreboard and then corrected them.

this during a whole match, doing scalp bets could make good money for those crookers.

gurke
    gurke's Avatar Become A Pro!

Earlier today there was a tennis match between John Isner and Jessie Levine. All major scoreboards including the official ATP Tennis website, CBS, and Betfair's own live game scorer incorrectly had Isner leading the match comfortably.

Thus, as you can imagine, a ton of money was wagered in-game on Isner even as he was at the edge of defeat, and at ridiculous odds. Again it's not as if this was just a lone error with Betfair, all the major scoreboards had this one utterly wrong, as if they were all scraping off each other.

Betfair's position is to NOT void any live wagering made on this match, as they don't feel responsible for the live updates errors that misled their customers.
    Question:Have you lost money on these game ???

Santo
    Santo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

I noticed this whilst it was in progress, there were plenty of indications on the market that something was wrong (you could get 1.27 when Isner would ordinarily have been 1.01, get 1.03 after the match was supposedly over), but unfortunately I sat on my hands rather than get involved.

SBR Lou

Quote Originally Posted by gurke View Post
    Question:Have you lost money on these game ???
    No, I'm unable to play at Betfair.

I did have the wrong side in general, but that had nothing to do with the live wagering so it had no impact on me.

4nic8ing
    4nic8ing's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

I believe it is the players responsibility when wagering. Sure it sucks that majority of score services had this wrong but buyer beware when wagering on live events and your not actually watching them live.

Art Vandeleigh
    Art Vandeleigh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

I don't fully understand how this can be. DId it just jump from the correct score to some wildly different incorrect score? Wouldn't someone involved in live betting do a double take if an immediate huge turnaround took place?

Or was the match being reported incorrectly right from the start and stayed that way the entire match?

Santo

Their names were the wrong way around on the scoreboards (simply inverted).

Art Vandeleigh
    Art Vandeleigh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

Quote Originally Posted by Santo View Post
    Their names were the wrong way around on the scoreboards (simply inverted).
    Thanks for the info Santo.

I think a jury of 12 reasonable gamblers (huh?) would order Betfair to void this mess, but I imagine a few folks emptied their accounts immediately after the winnings were credited.

Santo

I think Betfair made the right decision, according to established rules and past precedent (this isn't the first time a scoreboard has given the wrong score, and it's never been voided previously)

sportwetten
    sportwetten's Avatar Become A Pro!

If you are a UK registered customer you are betting through the UK exchange, which means that your bets are being matched by other Betfair customers. In this case, although Betfair knows who is on each side of every bet matched, you never know who you are betting against, as it may be a number of people matching your one bet. If you are registered with Betfair from outside the UK you are betting directly against Betfair rather than other Betfair customers.

So, they did know the correct score and they didn't close markt or they were wrong here and then corrected outcome to their winning.
    Last edited by sportwetten; 07-10-08 at 06:25 AM.

noyb
    noyb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6821

Quote Originally Posted by sportwetten View Post
    If you are registered with Betfair from outside the UK you are betting directly against Betfair rather than other Betfair customers.
    maybe you should first learn to understand a little bit better how betfair actually works before posting nonsense.

4Eigner
    4Eigner's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by sportwetten View Post
    So, they did know the correct score and they didn't close markt or they were wrong here and then corrected outcome to their winning.

Betfair is "Nr.1 Exchange" , has been awarded by the Queen and is having a million customers (not all of them happy, just like you). You say this is a fraud company?

no way! Thanks for 2 min laughing.

reg.
    4E

Santo

What the poster says is technically correct, for places where they're not licensed technically you place your bet against betfair, and betfair place the bet against the other person, but in reality you're still matching against each other, it's just licensing stuff.

noyb
    noyb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6821

Quote Originally Posted by Santo View Post
    What the poster says is technically correct, for places where they're not licensed technically you place your bet against betfair, and betfair place the bet against the other person, but in reality you're still matching against each other, it's just licensing stuff.
    with that being said, i don't get the relevance of this little licensing detail the poster was trying to make in relation to the subject discussed in this thread.

Santo

I would guess he read the "You are matching against Betfair" bit and assumed they were bookmaking (and thus potentially cheating), it's not very clear in the T&C if you don't know the details of their operation.

We can of course safely say that's not the case.

SBR Lou

Santo, totally irrelevant but weren't you a bit disappointed about Ivanovic's performance at Wimbledon? I know you're more into the industry threads etc so I never got a chance to comment on that to you. She sure let me down as I backed her against Zheng.

Santo

I think I said to you in a PM pre-tournament that I thought the bookies had her priced about right, and that carried forth to the matches, so betting wise no, I was quite pleased with the Williams final, gave me a nice profit... did terribly on the H2H's though.

I didn't actually get to see any of her matches, so don't know how she performed, she clashed against something I had bet / was trading (I heard badly through those I discuss with), but Ivanovic blows hot and cold, so it wasn't a great surprise. She has so much power, that if she's on form she's a match for anyone in the world, but if she's off everything goes long/wide.