BChrisB
    BChrisB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

suggestions on an offshore bank account

I'm not looking for anything other than a regular savings with a Check Card.

I'm looking at all these banks online so I'd thought I'd ask which is:

Best Bank?
    Best Country to do it in?

Absolutelyonfire
    Absolutelyonfire's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 474

Best offshore bank is Bank of Bermuda in Bermuda of course....minimum opening balance is 100K though !!

other offshore bank i would recommend is Fairbairn Private Bank in Isle of Man.

Their website is http://www.fairbairnpb.com

Chopsticks
    Chopsticks's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't know how much you are looking to deposit, but if it is not really much then maybe look at citadelebank. They are in Latvia or something I think so maybe not the jurisdiction of your choice, but it is an option if you are only looking to start with a few hundred.

Eagle1958
    Eagle1958's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Why would you want an offshore bank account?

BChrisB

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle1958 View Post
    Why would you want an offshore bank account?
    Technically, one isn't needed as of now. However, I don't know where the future is leading so it would be nice to have one open where I can slowly make a few deposits with my winnings and just have that account there just in case. I just want a simple regular savings with a VC check card it'd be nice to fall back on, just in case. Furthermore, I find it harder to deposit in poker sites than sports books with my VC, so I would love to have that VC that will work at any gambling site I use.

betchi
    betchi's Avatar Become A Pro!

sounds interesting let us know what u choose might want to get into that

Automat
    Automat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 171

u may wanna take a look at talkgold fourm
    the people there give sound advice

BET THE HOOK
    BET THE HOOK's Avatar Become A Pro!

I checked into this as well and they have a ton of paperwork and want a large deposit and a letter of referral from your local bank.

Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20513

I would expect that a bank in any safe jurisdiction would probably adhere to US policy in regard to US citizens operating accounts with them and you may find that you really are no better off for jumping through all the hoops to set it up.

scott235
    scott235's Avatar Become A Pro!

Eventually I think that this is what it's coming to for bettors from the states... the offshore books are in a great position to facilitate this, but they haven't yet, surprising

BChrisB

Quote Originally Posted by BET THE HOOK View Post
    I checked into this as well and they have a ton of paperwork and want a large deposit and a letter of referral from your local bank.
    Yes, this is what I'm running into. Large deposits, commercial accounts, etc, etc.

BChrisB

Quote Originally Posted by Hareeba! View Post
    I would expect that a bank in any safe jurisdiction would probably adhere to US policy in regard to US citizens operating accounts with them and you may find that you really are no better off for jumping through all the hoops to set it up.
    Now the reason I know the following is because I'm currently looking into this stuff so I'm not by any means and expert or an authority.

They don't have to adhere to US banking laws however:

Technically speaking, under international banking laws any government has certain rights to offshore accounts held in their currency. For example, the US Department of Treasury does have certain rights to look into accounts offshore held in US Dollars, same as the British Govermnet with Pounds, and so on.

However, this is absolutely nothing to be concerned about, this banking law is in place for major illegal activity like arms smuggling, drugs, offshore money laundering, etc, etc.

username474
    username474's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

It is getting harder and harder for a U.S. resident or citizen to open an account without actually traveling to the desired jurisdiction. You can open a HSBC offshore account from any branch within the U.S., it will cost you 200$ but is very pain free. Other then that I would recommend traveling to H.K. all you need is a passport and a copy of a utility bill to get an account at any bank that you would like.