Patrick McIrish
    Patrick McIrish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

BOOKMAKER is the best book on the planet....

Only Spiro even comes close. First up with lines, let's you bet a bit, let's you win as much as you can cart out of the place, as reliable as they come. Mickey runs the place now perhaps better than when Cigar was in the place. They did me a solid today for absolutely no reason other than I asked. No customer service? Try again boys.

And pardon the good words, I know this is mostly for bitching and whining, just wanted to drop in some praise for one of the oldest and most reliable books there is. Why gamble with all these new start up joints when you have places like Bookmaker and Greek around? Don't think I will. Thanks for listening, over and out.
    Points Awarded:

Frogger gave Patrick McIrish 5 SBR Point(s) for this post.

tofuman
    tofuman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 457

sure if you want bad lines.. save yourself some money and goto Matchbook

minet123
    Is JJ a Higher Power ?
    minet123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3753

Mickey runs a solid shop but pay the poor ticas more than $10 a day

Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20489

is this an Irish joke?

he's obviously not on the same planet as those who play at Pinnacle, Betfair, SBO and Matchbook

Patrick McIrish

Matchbook is a must out, however you can't always do what you need to do by just playing there. Also some of the other books mentioned are not accesible to those of us stuck in the good old USA. Obviously for baseball there are better options with their 20 cent lines, they like to take off for the summer like most oldtime bookies, overall though they're the best book out there in my humble opinion. Come football season if you aren't in this place you must be a rookie, absolutely a must have book for anyone that's even a halfway serious player. Okay if you disagree, it wouldn't be any fun if we all thought the same way.

Patrick McIrish

Quote Originally Posted by minet123 View Post

Really? I didn't know anything about that. What's the average pay for ticas in the industry? Overall though I think Mickey is one of the most underrated folks out there. If people had any idea what he does in a day it would astound most of us, he makes the place run like clockwork. No easy task. Frankly when he first took over I wasn't a fan, he certainly earned my respect through the years.

Kaabee
    Kaabee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

i would play there but not with those baseball lines

Patrick McIrish

Quote Originally Posted by Kaabee View Post
    i would play there but not with those baseball lines

Fair enough, can't knock you for that. Overall though as an American if I hit a 10 team parlay for 200k tomorrow I would pick Bookmaker to win it at. I'd never lose a bit of sleep either worrying about the cabbage. Good night men, time to hit the rack.

NY Playa
    NY Playa's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm likely to play there as WSEX....

MJFtheGenius
    MJFtheGenius's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1176

DSI which is in the BetCris family too basicly the same thing as Bookmaker except better baseball lines

I use DSI and 5 dimes for baseball

heyman
    heyman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McIrish View Post
    Matchbook is a must out, however you can't always do what you need to do by just playing there. Also some of the other books mentioned are not accesible to those of us stuck in the good old USA. Obviously for baseball there are better options with their 20 cent lines, they like to take off for the summer like most oldtime bookies, overall though they're the best book out there in my humble opinion. Come football season if you aren't in this place you must be a rookie, absolutely a must have book for anyone that's even a halfway serious player. Okay if you disagree, it wouldn't be any fun if we all thought the same way.
    the best book on the planet wouldn't 'take off' a major sport

abcc8048
    abcc8048's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

match book is absolutely designed for US player and follow US player taste pretty well. But dont know why this book doesnt have that major sport

Hareeba!

Quote Originally Posted by abcc8048 View Post
    match book is absolutely designed for US player and follow US player taste pretty well. But dont know why this book doesnt have that major sport
    Actually Matchbook has a major advantage over Betfair in that the US style odds are more efficient for a betting exchange than decimal odds as they convert precisely and far more easily from bet to lay.

Betfair have attempted to address the issue by automatically listing an offer on the other side (except in their Asian handicap and Australian markets) at the nearest equivalent odds but in the process they are skimming the margin when a punter doesn't realise he'd be better off laying or betting on the other side of the market.
    Points Awarded:

The General gave Hareeba! 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

eightballer41
    eightballer41's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by MJFtheGenius View Post
    DSI which is in the BetCris family too basicly the same thing as Bookmaker except better baseball lines

I use DSI and 5 dimes for baseball
    Really? I know that DSI is part of the same parent company that bookmaker is and so I never bothered to check their lines . (I know, bad on my part) Might be time to set up another account though....

abcc8048

Quote Originally Posted by Hareeba! View Post
    Actually Matchbook has a major advantage over Betfair in that the US style odds are more efficient for a betting exchange than decimal odds as they convert precisely and far more easily from bet to lay.

Betfair have attempted to address the issue by automatically listing an offer on the other side (except in their Asian handicap and Australian markets) at the nearest equivalent odds but in the process they are skimming the margin when a punter doesn't realise he'd be better off laying or betting on the other side of the market.
    actually i meaned bookmaker
    but when mentioned match book , i partially agree with you. honestly, whatever us odds or decimal odds, they are all the same thing.the only difference is which one is what we get used to. Refer to betfair, when using decimal odds, its also efficient to convert odds whatever from lay to lose odds or others at the same time precisely.

Dr.Gonzo
    Dr.Gonzo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3192

That's not a disadvantage it's great.

You know how much $ I've matched when the alternative back or lay was better odds for the sucker.

creed
    creed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1050

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McIrish View Post
    Only Spiro even comes close. First up with lines, let's you bet a bit, let's you win as much as you can cart out of the place, as reliable as they come. Mickey runs the place now perhaps better than when Cigar was in the place. They did me a solid today for absolutely no reason other than I asked. No customer service? Try again boys.

And pardon the good words, I know this is mostly for bitching and whining, just wanted to drop in some praise for one of the oldest and most reliable books there is. Why gamble with all these new start up joints when you have places like Bookmaker and Greek around? Don't think I will. Thanks for listening, over and out.
    Who is Cigar ?

Hareeba!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gonzo View Post
    That's not a disadvantage it's great.

You know how much $ I've matched when the alternative back or lay was better odds for the sucker.
    From the punter's point of view I totally agree with you, thought it's not as good as it once was.

But I was referring to Betfair's relative disadvantage, notwithstanding their skimming of the margins, in making it easier for punters to work with and accept exchange betting.

When (and I hope it's when and not if ) Betfair gets to operate in the US market they will have to go with US style odds. Not sure how they'll make it work because it would be nigh on impossible to get their millions of Pommie clients to accept a change in odds format. I guess they just earn a whole heap more from their skimming rort.

Sportslover
    Sportslover's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 320

I play mostly Soccer bets these days and Bookmaker's lines just don't come anywhere near close to those offered at Pinnacle for Soccer. I'm far better off using Pinnacle. I know that Bookmaker is solid and I respect them a lot but I just prefer to get the better odds at an equally solid, reliable, pro-friendly book.

jackkkk2009
    jackkkk2009's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3882

Bookmaker's lines come out the earliest. But sometimes it runs slow

abcc8048

From the punter's point of view I totally agree with you, thought it's not as good as it once was.

But I was referring to Betfair's relative disadvantage, notwithstanding their skimming of the margins, in making it easier for punters to work with and accept exchange betting.

When (and I hope it's when and not if ) Betfair gets to operate in the US market they will have to go with US style odds. Not sure how they'll make it work because it would be nigh on impossible to get their millions of Pommie clients to accept a change in odds format. I guess they just earn a whole heap more from their skimming rort.
    I actually understand what your meaning is, its true that betfair's back&lay format does implicitly skim the margin comparing with matchbook's yes&no format. But u shud know that the skimmed margin would not be gotten by betfair since betfair only take away winners' commission. By the way, why did u say betfair's issue except their asian handicap and Austrian market? Arent they all follow the same patten back& lay, are they?

Euphoria38
    Euphoria38's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

BetCRIS has a solid setup and reputation. Props.

mtneer1212
    mtneer1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3369

Bookmaker is as solid as they come as far as funds security go, but they are weak in three areas:

1. 20 cent baseball lines. Blah.
    2. Horrible Teaser odds. Blah.
    3. Sales/Customer Service miscommunication...... On at LEAST two occasions, I have had Sales call me and make me a deposit/reload offer, then I go and make the deposit, and when I call back, the terms have changed. Either I am promised a 30% reload, and then when I call back, it becomes 20%, or they promise me free squares or entries into something, and it never materializes. I call CS, and they act like I am on crack when I say 30% was promised. It aggravates me to no end.

Doug
    Doug's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1298

Reliable but I require reduced vig, free transfers and a free check option. I wouldn't use them at all now.

treece
    treece's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 198

Thread title is funny. Should be Bookmaker is far from being the best book on the planet.

Fishhead
    Fishhead's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11769

McFiddle, please post more.......I like the thoughts and insight son.

BOOKMAKER is currently ranked #6 in the prestigious -FH- ratings of offshore books for U.S. clients..............solid shop indeed.

I have no problem with you ranking them #1, they certainly have the means to be #1 with certain punters, you being one of them.

betyuda
    betyuda's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree. the odds are not always the best, but they really are safe. its hard enough to find enough safe books i think

Patrick McIrish

Thanks guys, appreciate all the opinions, pro and con. Like everyone else I have my own ideas of what I look for with my post-up money, safety is very high on the list. After taking a loss of approximate annual salary for most when Aces Gold went down last decade I rate safety of funds very high on my personal rating scale when I do post up monies. I also like the fact you don't have to look over your shoulder and sweat every time you get on a nice winning streak. If you asked board vets and other long term industry people what shop you'd rather have a mid 6 figure balance with I guarantee you that Bookmaker is going to be right at the top of the list. Not that I have a 6 figure balance, hell I don't have two nickels to rub together, but if I ever get hot I know I'm in the right place.

Patrick McIrish

Quote Originally Posted by betyuda View Post
    I agree. the odds are not always the best, but they really are safe. its hard enough to find enough safe books i think

Sharp post.

RogueScholar
    Chairman Of The Board
    RogueScholar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 135

Quote Originally Posted by mtneer1212 View Post
    Bookmaker is as solid as they come as far as funds security go, but they are weak in three areas:

1. 20 cent baseball lines. Blah.
    2. Horrible Teaser odds. Blah.
    3. Sales/Customer Service miscommunication...... On at LEAST two occasions, I have had Sales call me and make me a deposit/reload offer, then I go and make the deposit, and when I call back, the terms have changed. Either I am promised a 30% reload, and then when I call back, it becomes 20%, or they promise me free squares or entries into something, and it never materializes. I call CS, and they act like I am on crack when I say 30% was promised. It aggravates me to no end.
    I just wanted to chime in that I also had the misfortune of getting the bait and switch bonus calls from Bookmaker. When I was a rec. gambler and posting up every couple months with them, twice I got the 30% bonus magically becoming 20% upon the completion of the transaction. Since I didn't have any recording of the phone calls I was basically S.O.L. when they acted like I was making it all up.

Now, the second time it happened I ran into Lou in the SBR Chat room and when I related the story he instantly offered to go to bat for me. It was without question the most positive experience I've had with an SBR employee. (I was tempted to say the only positive experience, but then I remembered a couple interactions with VegasDave that were very pleasant and professional as well. It's sad that in over three years of posting here they've only had two employees that have any sense of professionalism and decency in my experience.)

I didn't take Lou up on his offer because I was pretty much fed-up with them at that point and I transferred all of my CRIS action to DSI shortly thereafter. In conclusion, it was nice to know that SBR does still offer tangible services to real gamblers and not just the points whores as we see today. Thanks again, Lou.

tomcowley
    tomcowley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6786

I would have agreed with you 6 months ago until they pulled two rounds of completely mickey-mouse moves, including voiding bets because I caught them on stale numbers (not even steam) that were "too good" (bets would have lost, LOL thanks for the free money you incompetent chickenshit penetrates), having the manager lie to me blatantly several different ways, and putting me on $100s. Just.. lol. Not that you shouldn't have an account there, but deep down, they're slimeball cockbags like everybody else, except they have deeper pockets.

Hareeba!

Quote Originally Posted by abcc8048 View Post
    I actually understand what your meaning is, its true that betfair's back&lay format does implicitly skim the margin comparing with matchbook's yes&no format. But u shud know that the skimmed margin would not be gotten by betfair since betfair only take away winners' commission. By the way, why did u say betfair's issue except their asian handicap and Austrian market? Arent they all follow the same patten back& lay, are they?
    Betfair DOES profit from skimiming the difference between the back and lay odds.

My reference to the Asian hcp and Australian markets simply referred to the fact that they do not automatically enter a back or lay offer to match the one a punter puts up in those markets. But yes the format is the same.

Jumbo_Elliott
    Jumbo_Elliott's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
    McFiddle, please post more.......I like the thoughts and insight son. BOOKMAKER is currently ranked #6 in the prestigious -FH- ratings of offshore books for U.S. clients..............solid shop indeed. I have no problem with you ranking them #1, they certainly have the means to be #1 with certain punters, you being one of them.
    Could you please elaborate. What are the "FH" ratings?

Frogger
    Frogger's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by minet123 View Post
    Think you should know they would be making $5 a day without their current job though.

(in reality, online it says average salary for tico is $10k/year so I think we're a bit off, but I think everyone gets the point)