pokerplayer22
    pokerplayer22's Avatar Become A Pro!

Line moves

If I call in to make a wager over the phone and get quoted one line, then tell the rep who I want to play, should they then be allowed to move the line? Just curious as to everyones thoughts. I have had this issue prob 5 times in the past 2 weeks, all with the same book, and every line has moved against me.

Winner_13
    Winner_13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1087

what book ?

C.S.
    C.S.'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1921

Are you just chasing the screen?

Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20489

Quote Originally Posted by pokerplayer22 View Post
    If I call in to make a wager over the phone and get quoted one line, then tell the rep who I want to play, should they then be allowed to move the line? Just curious as to everyones thoughts. I have had this issue prob 5 times in the past 2 weeks, all with the same book, and every line has moved against me.
    If you are responding immediately to his call then no, they shouldn't be allowed to. But sadly these guys all seem to be allowed to make their own rules and there's frig all one can do about it except tell em where to go and find another bookie.

C.S.

If you are responding immediately to his call then no, they shouldn't be allowed to. But sadly these guys all seem to be allowed to make their own rules and there's frig all one can do about it except tell em where to go and find another bookie.
    And by your logic if he gets quoted a bad line but says he wants it... they should honor it as well?

Hareeba!

Quote Originally Posted by C.S. View Post
    And by your logic if he gets quoted a bad line but says he wants it... they should honor it as well?
    no
    but if they quote 5 bad lines in a week ???

pokerplayer22

The site is the always problematic BetPhoenix. Today I called in and got quoted Texas -127. I told them I wanted to risk 254 to win 200 and then he told me the line changed to -129. It was the only game I asked for a line on on that call so the timeframe was less than 5 seconds from the time he quoted me the line to when I tried to put in my play. Its only $4 but its just the point and its very frusterating. It is literally the 5th or 6th time this has happened in the last 2 weeks.

.....And no smart ass comments about the dumb play...

C.S.

no
    but if they quote 5 bad lines in a week ???
    Well... you have a point. And if pokerplayer22's -27 to -29 is true, that's bullshit for pennies. I was talking about chasing half-point steam on donbest and complaining about being shut out. But that doesn't seem to be the case here.

pokerplayer22

Quote Originally Posted by C.S. View Post
    Well... you have a point. And if pokerplayer22's -27 to -29 is true, that's bullshit for pennies. I was talking about chasing half-point steam on donbest and complaining about being shut out. But that doesn't seem to be the case here.
    Thats definately not what I am talking about here...This just seems so senseless and dishonest and all over a couple bucks.

DukeJohn
    DukeJohn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 254

The site is the always problematic BetPhoenix. Today I called in and got quoted Texas -127. I told them I wanted to risk 254 to win 200 and then he told me the line changed to -129. It was the only game I asked for a line on on that call so the timeframe was less than 5 seconds from the time he quoted me the line to when I tried to put in my play. Its only $4 but its just the point and its very frusterating. It is literally the 5th or 6th time this has happened in the last 2 weeks.

Interesting...

I went to http://odds.sbrforum.com/#/odds/base...oney-line.html and selected the game and then selected line history and then BetPhoenix and the following showed:

MONEYLINES
    05/05 01:52 -130 / +120
    05/05 10:01 -131 / +121
    05/05 11:36 -126 / +116
    05/05 14:19 -128 / +118
    05/05 14:32 -130 / +120

So, I would suggest you start a history of this and check the lines. If your line is not showing up, then talk to a CS rep at Bet Phoenix and see if they will help you to get to the bottom of this. I know it is a pain, but sometimes you have to jump through hoops to get a job done. I know I have had problems with BP in the past but they were fixed eventually.

BoL,

pokerplayer22

Thanks for the info Duke...I will look into it. Today I called in my play at about 2:15 (cst). I just always thought that when a rep quoted you a line on the phone, that in the 4 seconds that it takes you to actually make the play and confirm with your password, they werent supposed to change the line on you. Because it changes against me every time, that is why I am thinking it is a bit more than a coincidence.

Hareeba!

Thanks for the info Duke...I will look into it. Today I called in my play at about 2:15 (cst). I just always thought that when a rep quoted you a line on the phone, that in the 4 seconds that it takes you to actually make the play and confirm with your password, they werent supposed to change the line on you. Because it changes against me every time, that is why I am thinking it is a bit more than a coincidence.
    why are you 'phoning them in rather than playing them online?
    that way they can't shaft you (oh well maybe not as obviously)

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

If they quoted -127, and you immediately said you wanted it (meaning less than 15 seconds), it is a foul to change the line on you.

I would ask for a manger and insist they give you the original number. If your bet lost, you have a legitimate gripe for the extra $4 you lost.

pokerplayer22

Quote Originally Posted by Hareeba! View Post
    why are you 'phoning them in rather than playing them online?
    that way they can't shaft you (oh well maybe not as obviously)
    For the most part, I do make my plays online but today i was at lunch and wasnt in front of my computer at the time.

hawkeyes24
    hawkeyes24's Avatar Become A Pro!

I just had this exact same thing happen to me 15 minutes ago. I called in for a line. I told them who i wanted and for how much. They then moved the baseball line 6 cents against me. I ended up putting the play in anyway and then asked to be transferred to a manager. I talked to some guy named Phil and I have to say, he was the biggest loudmouth a-hole i've ever dealt with at any book. He told me that if I didnt like their policies, that i should withdraw my money and play elsewhere and then hung up the phone on me.

Up until today, I had never had any problems with betphoenix but who is this loudmouth Phil? He cant be good for business.

skrtelfan
    skrtelfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3337

The BetPhoenix lines on sbrodds are for the reduced juice feed, and the regular feed is generally a cent worse on each side around -130ish, so if this player isn't on the reduced juice feed, the move of

05/05 11:36 -126 / +116
    05/05 14:19 -128 / +118

Was probably -127/+115 to -129/+117 on the regular juice feed.

From what I've read about this guy Phil, it sounds like he's trying to become the next Tony.

sharpcat
    sharpcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Next time they pull this crap on you reverse your bet

pokerplayer22

Hawkeyes....My experience with Phil in the past is the same...He's a cocky ass who thinks his shit dont stink....

On the other note...I've thought about trying to use these bs line movements to my advantage but its kind of hard because when i get quoted a line, its only after I give them my wager that they tell me the line change. I am going to try it though and we'll see what happens. Its just so ridiculous that they try this crap and all over a couple dollars.

skrtelfan
    skrtelfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3337

It's possible they're just clueless and don't realize the line should be locked in for 10-15 seconds after they quote it to you. The way to tell whether this is simple clueless vs where they're engaging in any malfeasance is if anyone's ever had a line move advantageously in the middle of a call. (I've never called in a bet to BP so I have no idea.) Has anyone reading this thread ever called BP and had the line move in their favor during the call?

big joe 1212
    big joe 1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5365

mg63
    mg63's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 882

If I call in to make a wager over the phone and get quoted one line, then tell the rep who I want to play, should they then be allowed to move the line?
    no
    good books dont cheat