thespeculator
    thespeculator's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13168

i have pinnacle account do i need to bother with betfair

with all of betfair's document requirements should i even bother with them, does anyone know if you can still bet a small amount before they ask for your i.d. or does everything have to be in first

With a pinnacle and matchbook account i am thinking it isn't worth the hassle, since i bet on u.s sports.
    but BetFair does have great in play options,
    any feedback

korbal29
    korbal29's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 65

you have the best books cant go wrong

Keith Richard
    alive and well
    Keith Richard's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4723

Damn I just hate these Europeans.

thespeculator

what i meant to say is that with pinnacle , do i really need to have a betfair account also, outside of the in play options does betfair have any advantage over pinny
    thanks

nenad
    nenad's Avatar Become A Pro!

betfair have some better odds than pinny and you can lay on betfair on pinnay cant.

thespeculator

Quote Originally Posted by nenad View Post
    betfair have some better odds than pinny and you can lay on betfair on pinnay cant.
    yes, that is one feature no one can match, i think i will go ahead and start at betfair
    thanks

HeeeHAWWWW
    HeeeHAWWWW's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

Quote Originally Posted by thespeculator View Post
    what i meant to say is that with pinnacle , do i really need to have a betfair account also, outside of the in play options does betfair have any advantage over pinny
    thanks

Occasionally they'll have better odds - generally pinnacle are better once you factor in commission, but not always.

Also occasionally have lines out earlier, so worth having (except for US sports of course, no liquidity there).

thespeculator

the boston celtics , (against the pacers) had an offer of around 18k, that is pretty high IMO,

HeeHawww, do you know if baseball gets good action, say in the 3k range

nenad
    nenad's Avatar Become A Pro!

one week ago was offer of 100k on clipers

thespeculator

Quote Originally Posted by nenad View Post
    one week ago was offer of 100k on clipers
    got your PM, thanks
    from what i can see the liquidity on U.S sports in very good,
    how is it on baseball

HeeeHAWWWW
    HeeeHAWWWW's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

Ahh ok, better than I remember then.

It's not like they're going to stiff you. Might as well have an account.

thespeculator

Quote Originally Posted by HeeeHAWWWW View Post
    Ahh ok, better than I remember then.

It's not like they're going to stiff you. Might as well have an account.
    i decided to go for it , thanks for feedback everyone

Ruifgalmeida
    Ruifgalmeida's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5324

if you bet more that 500€ on american sports you are not going to always find the bets matched, pinny always better prices because of the comission

Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20513

Both Pinnacle and Betfair are absolute essentials in my mind

But that can depend on what you're betting on

If US sports only don't bother with Betfair - Matchbook is a better option

But if you are betting on racing, soccer, tennis, cricket, rugby, golf etc you simply must have Betfair

And then of course you are able to lay on Betfair too

ID verification is necessary with any reputable books and really no big deal if you are genuine

Stumpage
    Update your status
    Stumpage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13676

the boston celtics , (against the pacers) had an offer of around 18k, that is pretty high IMO,

HeeHawww, do you know if baseball gets good action, say in the 3k range
    Spec, baseball gets much more action than one would expect. Significantly more, actually. Obviously not one of the major trading sports, but there is more than enough trading on most games to keep your interest (Much more than 3K).

*I'll add that there are certain matches that usually generate a great deal of liquidity. The Sunday night ESPN tilts, and any game involving either the RedSox or Yankees in my experience. Plus, naturally, any game that is being offered live on Pinnacle generates a lot of interest from the arb-hunters over at BetFair.
    Last edited by Stumpage; 03-15-10 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Further clarification.....
    Points Awarded:

JoshW gave Stumpage 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

thespeculator

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpage View Post
    Spec, baseball gets much more action than one would expect. Significantly more, actually. Obviously not one of the major trading sports, but there is more than enough trading on most games to keep your interest (Much more than 3K).

*I'll add that there are certain matches that usually generate a great deal of liquidity. The Sunday night ESPN tilts, and any game involving either the RedSox or Yankees in my experience. Plus, naturally, any game that is being offered live on Pinnacle generates a lot of interest from the arb-hunters over at BetFair.
    baseball is my main game , looking forward to the season

thespeculator

Quote Originally Posted by Hareeba! View Post
    Both Pinnacle and Betfair are absolute essentials in my mind

But that can depend on what you're betting on

If US sports only don't bother with Betfair - Matchbook is a better option

But if you are betting on racing, soccer, tennis, cricket, rugby, golf etc you simply must have Betfair

And then of course you are able to lay on Betfair too

ID verification is necessary with any reputable books and really no big deal if you are genuine
    i have nothing to hide for ID , they just want everything certified, but you are right , no big deal

Stumpage
    Update your status
    Stumpage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13676

baseball is my main game , looking forward to the season
    Then if you have Pinny and BF, you're more than likely in for a good season...Good luck Spec...

Dunder
    Dunder's Avatar Become A Pro!

For US Sports, I would not even have Betfair in my Top 5 unless you intend to trade/scalp.

As Hareeba mentioned it is a must if you want to bet on global sports.

thespeculator

according to betfair's website if you are an international customer you are betting against betfair directly, it says the betfair international is a traditional bookmaker

Santo
    Santo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

It's just legalese, Betfair technically match both sides themselves, but makes no difference to the actual operation.

thespeculator

Quote Originally Posted by Santo View Post
    It's just legalese, Betfair technically match both sides themselves, but makes no difference to the actual operation.
    i see, thanks for the info

the2112
    the2112's Avatar Become A Pro!

betfair

i think one the most important issues is that you can lay on betfair and the enourmus volume on it.
    my profits come 90 % from the lay side (meaning an outcome will not happen ) as they game is carrying on i than basically hedge my bets as they update every second severl times. you trade bid and ask - like on a stock exchange with no limits on size - how often you wana trade and nobody ever limits you.
    as with commision you only pay if you win ! i can trade on event 1000 times scalping in and out and at the end only pay if made a profit !!! i use limit orders, fill or kill and many many more. most times the book they offer is 99.99 % when closer to event volume is severl millions on 1 league soccer and uk horses every day !
    there are severl independant companies with amazing software - realtime charting, ladder trading, running stop losses etc - you can run bots and write your own software that trades for you when certain levels are hit etc.
    i used to be an option trader at the cboe - however the market became to difficult to exploit. now i make my living from betfair and using some bookies who take ages to adjust their lines. besides that living in uk now and not paying taxes on ALL gambling winnigs (are tax free by govermant) is a nice top up.

i am neither for nor against them just stating facts of my experience

minet123
    Is JJ a Higher Power ?
    minet123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3753

you must have both along with matchbook

necro
    Update your status
    necro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 108

As mentioned above, open an account with them, you will like it

thespeculator

can someone please help with how the lay betting works, in an event like baseball where you have know ties why would you bet not to win.
    Is it basically that you are picking this certain team not win, at the odds offered, during yesterdays, baseball game (astros -giants), giants were up 5-0, any the offer was laying 6 on the astros, so if you bet against the astros for $10 would you win 60 or would you wager 60 to win 10
    a little confused

the2112

can someone please help with how the lay betting works, in an event like baseball where you have know ties why would you bet not to win.
    Is it basically that you are picking this certain team not win, at the odds offered, during yesterdays, baseball game (astros -giants), giants were up 5-0, any the offer was laying 6 on the astros, so if you bet against the astros for $10 would you win 60 or would you wager 60 to win 10
    a little confused
    ok. you lay at 5 means if you wager 10 your liability is 4 (5-1)eg 40. so its basicaly the oposite to backing. you take the other side of the trade. you become the bookmaker !. now the key to this is that you try to lock in a higher back price and lay it off lower guarnteeing you profit. or you lay off first - prices go up and you lay them of. it becomes intersting eg in multi outcome situations, goals scored , horses run etc. once back and layed you have a guranteed profit and than you can green up which means you distribute your winnings across the whole field of outcomes. eg soccer . i lay 0:3 not to happen. i risk 500 to make 50. but i dont really risk the 500 cause if they start to score i than get out of the trade by closing it and move or roll over to the next result 0:4, or totals scored, or next goal etc. i literally have 20-30 options depending on time of the game and prices. i can back higher odds to lock a price in and than start laying against with little higher amounts. great for tournaments. backing the otsider and than overlaying him on every game until either he loses and you made your $ or he wins the tournament which is fine - you backed him at high quotes at beginnig already. now volume on wimbeldon final was around 80 million. you goal is to break even in the worst case. if the game runs normam you will usually make $. so these tournaments give you enough to trade 1000s at a pop without beeing limited plus commisions drop considerally as you get rebates at the exchange. ..i basically have many many options to manage my risk while the game is on . as well as the quotes move in a very clear line in soccer as you only play 90 mins so quotes have to go in line with the time. there is software out there that complety calculates what happens at which event so you need to be proactive in managing you risk ahead. or it becomes a gamble. also with horses you can trade during the race. eg you lay of all 10 horses so only 1 can win ! and during the race you start to back the top 3 meaning you cut your risk off. or you do it the other way round . you back and than lay lower . so you make $ even when beeing completely wrong. THATS the key ! i never bet on the outcome , but manage the risk as going along. now start with someting slow moving like a soccer game but not horses - they run you over. hope this makes some kind of sense - just google some more - you will learn quickly. exchanges set the market these days as the lines are not controlled by individual bookmakers risk exposure . so they always move first and than bookies later. and they can move a few points and than snap back while the bookmakers line hasnt moved at all. so this is also where they profit is. you back a slow bookmaker and than trade on the exchange against his quote. he has no idea what you are doing . you can happily loose you money there as well as you take it out at exchange (dep. on com %). the free market sets the price these days made up of 1000000 s of people not 2 books trying to balance their shit.
    Points Awarded:

thespeculator gave the2112 5 SBR Point(s) for this post.

subs gave the2112 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

thespeculator

thanks, figured it out

the2112

wow i just reread what i wrote... sorry if little bit all over the place but was late too...