EGrecu
    EGrecu's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1155

Are there any tax experts here as it relates to crypto?

If I receive crypto and buy giftcards with it, is it a taxable event?

At that point, I'm not cashing it - I'm basically sending it to an outside wallet

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11802

Claim your profits and pay your taxes if you are up big. Just that simple. Can sleep better at night. Not the end of the world.

IRS is so busy right now they won't even audit you if you are small time peanuts.

EGrecu
    EGrecu's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1155

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    Claim your profits and pay your taxes if you are up big. Just that simple. Can sleep better at night. Not the end of the world.

IRS is so busy right now they won't even audit you if you are small time peanuts.

i'm not small time peanuts. I make about 250K at my job and I'm up huge gambling

Tanko
    Slow roll
    Tanko's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24774

I'm not an expert but I've done a little research on the topic. I use BTC below to be the same as any crypto.

My assumption is you are approaching this to stay within the law. There are a number of things you can do to not pay taxes and possibly not be in trouble (if not audited), but they are not legal.

If you receive BTC as a gift (up to ~$16k limits go up each year so check), the initial receipt is not taxable. If you sit on the BTC in your wallet, it is not taxable until you sell it. Once you sell it, you are required to report any gains or losses on the BTC (capital gains/losses on your taxes). The amount of tax you have to pay on gains varies with your income level and how long you held the BTC (long-term = > 1 yr or short-term < 1 yr). There might be other factors that impact the tax amount you would owe or not owe (e.g. was used to pay for higher education, etc...).

If you are paid BTC for a job or a contest, you have to report the initial amount as income on your taxes. Then you still are dealing with the capital gains/losses (mentioned above) for any value change in the BTC once you sell it.

Also realize, quite a few places (Coinbase for example) are now required to report any BTC transactions (total for the year) to the IRS. Just a heads up.

I'm confident there will be others who are more educated on the topic that will chime in.

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7799

Just keep gambling til you lose it

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13164

Lol this fukkin guy

You make 250k go pay a fukkin EA or some shit.

biggie12
    biggie12's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1204

Why do you continue to embarrass yourself guy?

johnnyvegas13
    johnnyvegas13's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 192

U gotta keep saying I’m a millionaire no I’m not

say it over and over

that’s how the experts do it haha

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9590

Turbo Tax and H&R Block tax software are great options and should put most accountants out of business. They are $50 or less and walk you thru every tax option.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13164

Do they represent you in the event of an audit?

OldBill
    OldBill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5228

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post

only if done in person not if done by you online but i never have trouble doing taxes my own after i write of costs i might only pay taxes on $2000 dunno how to record receipts online so i have to go in person to hr block or other

but might not have to as long as earn no more than $1350 a month which is ok cause i caollect SSD but i be done working by july investments coming in probably by end of 2022 like $10,000 a month

I be so happy to be from working for corparte happy to pay taxes get house redone top to bottom

every room even bathroom possibly cost about $75,000 insurance will not cover it all and i want every wall sealed with hard foam to stop mice coming in when others are doing work that cost about $3000

get new aplliances too oven fridge are way to old and get kitchen done right no it's not cheaper selling house as is n getting new one and pay who knows what monthly i already checked that out house is only worth about $120 K new one will cost over $250K moratge with interest rate say 6.5% about $2500 a month then higher insurance rate right now only about $140 a month

NEW rate will be $295 a month better to put out like $25,000 cash and insurance cover the rest

contractor get it done in two weeks which is my newphew he got whole new kitchen done even new fridge n freezer no out of pocket cost

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Grecu please seek a tax expert not a sbr clown

lonegambler23
    Org Mafia
    lonegambler23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13520

Quote Originally Posted by EGrecu View Post

At that point, I'm not cashing it - I'm basically sending it to an outside wallet
    remember this guy has half a million in his gambling accts

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by lonegambler23 View Post
    remember this guy has half a million in his gambling accts
    Oh is that the same clown? Right, a half million sitting in a BOL account and afraid to cash out. LOL. Broke clown show.

thomorino
    thomorino's Avatar Become A Pro!

Of course its taxable. The athletes receiving their pay in bitcoin obviously still pay taxes.

Now if you hold crypto for 12 months or more and have a gain that gain is taxed at capital gains rates, which are much lower in most cases than ordinary income rates.

lonegambler23
    Org Mafia
    lonegambler23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13520

Oh is that the same clown? Right, a half million sitting in a BOL account and afraid to cash out. LOL. Broke clown show.
    yet needs giftcards LMFAOOOOO

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

It must be story telling time again, all gather near..

jjgold

You got to get an expert that specializes in bitcoin and taxes

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    JJ you're broke to ya bald jack ass! Neither of you clowns even file for taxes.

clockwise1965
    clockwise1965's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18366

It must be story telling time again, all gather near..

No shit.. Bullshit thread.

OldBill
    OldBill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5228

hey get donalds tax guys look he only paid $750 for millions income

raiders72001
    raiders72001's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15306

i'm not small time peanuts. I make about 250K at my job and I'm up huge gambling
    Ask your CPA. If something's done wrong, then it's the accountant's fault.

BeatTheJerk
    BeatTheJerk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

Jesus Christ you should put your life on YouTube to supplement your millions.

raiders72001

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    this. If you are making a substantial amount of money, pay for an accountant. Everyone making $250k is paying.

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7799

OldBill my lord…

Just kept typing away

stake1
    stake1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2438

Quote Originally Posted by raiders72001 View Post
    this. If you are making a substantial amount of money, pay for an accountant. Everyone making $250k is paying.
    nothing to mess around with. crypto gains are income, so having a Cpa is critical

dustyy
    dustyy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6823

Quote Originally Posted by raiders72001 View Post
    Ask your CPA. If something's done wrong, then it's the accountant's fault.
    CPA compiles information given to them. They will advise you but unless they do a complete audit, you are on your own.

Arky
    Arky's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19134

As others have said, go find a CPA who knows crypto and pay him whatever he wants.

Keep notes of all your transactions in which you made capital gains.

I found a guy and he's with a reputable company. We spent two 2-hour sessions trying to make my crypto holdings work with a crypto tax software - Koinly.io We kept running into obvious bugs. After the 2nd session, he concluded that we should just go with my notes and he will calculate from that. I think he's going to get me in kinda cheap....

It's peace of mind that should an audit occur, I have someone in my corner who understands my situation. Like Jibby says, the IRS is swamped and way behind. They are not getting all the reinforcements they wanted. Audits are unlikely. If you have gotten crypto tax forms, the CPA will know how to deal with those.

If you are making bank, get a crypto CPA to cover you - it will be worth it.
    Last edited by Arky; 03-31-22 at 03:35 PM.

jjgold

Gamblers cheap and cut corners this will not turn out well

chico2663
    chico2663's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6713

If you received anything from coin base you must report. Didn’t 7 yrs ago and got a letter from I.r.s. I have 23,000 in gains from this yr that I have to pay on. I funded my s.e.p 7000 to take it down. I have been audited 3 times through the yrs and won every case but it is a pain in the ass.

chico2663

Wrong been doing my own and others since 1982.

chico2663

Quote Originally Posted by OldBill View Post
    only if done in person not if done by you online but i never have trouble doing taxes my own after i write of costs i might only pay taxes on $2000 dunno how to record receipts online so i have to go in person to hr block or other

but might not have to as long as earn no more than $1350 a month which is ok cause i caollect SSD but i be done working by july investments coming in probably by end of 2022 like $10,000 a month

I be so happy to be from working for corparte happy to pay taxes get house redone top to bottom

every room even bathroom possibly cost about $75,000 insurance will not cover it all and i want every wall sealed with hard foam to stop mice coming in when others are doing work that cost about $3000

get new aplliances too oven fridge are way to old and get kitchen done right no it's not cheaper selling house as is n getting new one and pay who knows what monthly i already checked that out house is only worth about $120 K new one will cost over $250K moratge with interest rate say 6.5% about $2500 a month then higher insurance rate right now only about $140 a month

NEW rate will be $295 a month better to put out like $25,000 cash and insurance cover the rest

contractor get it done in two weeks which is my newphew he got whole new kitchen done even new fridge n freezer no out of pocket cost
    Before this yr the most you could make was just under 900 .Biden raised it to I think 1250. Now if on S s di if you make more than 900 a month than you could do it on 7 times in a rolling 72 month period. If you went over and not report that you are working they can kick you off s.s. For the rest of your life. I know a lady it happened to.

raiders72001

Quote Originally Posted by dustyy View Post
    CPA compiles information given to them. They will advise you but unless they do a complete audit, you are on your own.
    A CPA can always represent you if wanted.

Fishhead
    Fishhead's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11769

Grecu please seek a tax expert not a sbr clown

mjsuax13
    mjsuax13's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 1005

Then you should have zero problem hiring an accountant. Jesus, go clean the snow off those used cars.

12 Last