Ramvil85
    Ramvil85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

Pinnacle cancels winning bet after the match

On February 2, 2019, I have placed 500euro bet on Aris -21.5, Greek basketball. The bet was in pending condition all the time before game and after the game. Only then I have received the message from Pinnacle taht this bet is cancelled. The reason: suspicious betting activity. Briefly speaking, Pinnacle are saying this game was fixed. It turns out they can easily void any bet if you win, reasoning it might have been fixed. I have discussion with the bookmaker since then. How I imagine this situation is that governing bodies shoudl proceed wit hthe investigation and officially confirm the match was fixed. Find the guilty ones and declare the result voided. Nothing of it happened. Pinnacle cancelled my bet by one-sided decision. Without any proof. I am not defendoing match fixers, but if the game was really fixed why isn't there official announcement? No trial for criminals? Pinna have good reputation and I am not sure how to proceed in this situation.

SBE
    SBE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3888

Yes, from time to time - they are doing this. I lost (due to very similar practice) some 1 500 EUR about 2 years ago. It was some tennis match,

Dolgopolov vs some player from South America (I do not remember his name now). I played (probably) against Dolgopolov at Pinnacle and

LAYed it then at Betfair. First, Dolgopolov was the favourite, but during the day, it has dramatically changed (the odds were turning 180 degrees, "the

underdog" became the favourite).

Betfair normally graded it (as LOST), but Pinnacle, after some 4-5 days waiting (the bet was pending for that 5 days long) they deemed it as

"cancelled" ...due to "suspicious betting activity". No complaints helped..I lost that 1 500 EUR.

Yes, you do not like arbers, I know (because most of you here - you are experts :-) ).

Sorry for my English. For sure - you have understood what I meant. Thank you.

But, despite all that - Pinnacle is still the best around. If I lost 1 500 due to such match once in two years - it is not "a tragedy" at all...

Pinocchio
    Pinocchio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8101

What the heck is "suspicious betting activity"? What a joke. Doesn't even have to actually be fixed, it appears.

fire777
    fire777's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 854

Today I bet Horsens - Silkeborg (club friendly) on pinnacle horsens has + 0.5 A start of the second half, when horsens was losing, pinnacle cancels the bet because the fields have changed because the game has become Silkeborg vs Horsens. Pinnacle in this case gave me a gift, because I canceled a losing bet, but I do not like it, because I would have preferred that the cancellation before the start of the game.

HeeeHAWWWW
    HeeeHAWWWW's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

Quote Originally Posted by SBE View Post
    Dolgopolov vs some player from South America (I do not remember his name now). I played (probably) against Dolgopolov at Pinnacle and
    Monteiro. Total tank.

Sawyer
    Sawyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6650

Pinnacle rarely void bets but sometimes they do, yes.
    Last edited by Sawyer; 02-04-19 at 12:30 PM.

SBE

Quote Originally Posted by HeeeHAWWWW View Post
    Monteiro. Total tank.

Thank you. I have just found it and submitted (the censor will maybe post it soon; as all my posts are reviewed first, because I am dangerous - I use to write the truth only :-) )

pretentiousGuy
    pretentiousGuy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1573

Happened in esports several times. More likely to occur when you bet on obscure shit. Matches can also be voided to your benefit.

I saw Aris closed at 1.01.

Sorry, OP, but they need to do this to protect themselves or they would have to do away with these small markets completely. These small markets are where the bulk of matchfixing occurs. That's not to say it was necessarily fixed in this case, but it's probable.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9181

Quote Originally Posted by Ramvil85 View Post
    On February 2, 2019, I have placed 500euro bet on Aris -21.5, Greek basketball. The bet was in pending condition all the time before game and after the game. Only then I have received the message from Pinnacle taht this bet is cancelled. The reason: suspicious betting activity. Briefly speaking, Pinnacle are saying this game was fixed. It turns out they can easily void any bet if you win, reasoning it might have been fixed. I have discussion with the bookmaker since then. How I imagine this situation is that governing bodies shoudl proceed wit hthe investigation and officially confirm the match was fixed. Find the guilty ones and declare the result voided. Nothing of it happened. Pinnacle cancelled my bet by one-sided decision. Without any proof. I am not defendoing match fixers, but if the game was really fixed why isn't there official announcement? No trial for criminals? Pinna have good reputation and I am not sure how to proceed in this situation.
    It is frustrating when it happens but it is good for us all if betting that is obviously related to a fix is cancelled as often as possible.

But it happens at Pinnacle a lot less than at UK and Euro books.

I'd guess Pinny does it at least 100 times less often then Bet365 would.

Limited
    Limited's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4567

Experienced once in 10 years or so was in my favour, so probably next time it will cost me, but that's life. Pinnacle still one of the best bookies.

Ramvil85

It doesnt make any difference, fact is they cancel winning bets by one sided decision. I am sure that if I wont take any actions they will cancel every bet which is not in favour for their company.

Are we going to ignore the fact that they decided it is a fix game without any investigation outside Pinnacle? That is absurd.

infotimbo
    infotimbo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9878

Are we going to ignore the fact that they decided it is a fix game without any investigation outside Pinnacle?
    what makes you think so? I'd guess, same as every other bookie, they get notified by Betradar (or a similar company) if there's suspect activity. No idea what it exactly looks like, but I don't think Pinnacle reacts to it by cancelling all wagers unless it's a high level warning.

And the date those companies have on offer, is basically all "investigation" you'll get anyway.

Sawyer
    Sawyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6650

By the way, I had Panionios +20 @ Pinnacle and Aris -18½ in another bookmaker and Betfair for that game. Pinnacle voided the loser bet Panionios+20 as well. So it means they didn't void only the winner, they voided the loser bets as well. Betfair and other soft bookmaker where I bet Aris -18.5 and Pani+20½ didn't void, they settled all bets.
    Last edited by Sawyer; 02-05-19 at 02:49 AM.

Zagadka
    Zagadka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Quote Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
    By the way, I had Panionios +20 @ Pinnacle and Aris -18½ in another bookmaker and Betfair for that game. Pinnacle voided the loser bet Panionios+20 as well. So it means they didn't void only the winner, they voided the loser bets as well. Betfair and other soft bookmaker where I bet Aris -18.5 and Pani+20½ didn't void, they settled all bets.
    Well, wouldnt it be too bold for them to cancel only winning bets? Of course they canceled all wagers. But what makes me mad in this situation, that they have waited till the game was over. It is easy to decide whether you want to void all bets or grade them after the game. I am sure they would have graded them if Aris couldnt cover the hc. It is so unacceptable....Never heard of a bookie complaining about failed fix...
    Last edited by Zagadka; 02-05-19 at 03:37 AM.

Optional

It doesnt make any difference, fact is they cancel winning bets by one sided decision. I am sure that if I wont take any actions they will cancel every bet which is not in favour for their company.

Are we going to ignore the fact that they decided it is a fix game without any investigation outside Pinnacle? That is absurd.

It sounds like you only have one option if you are so sure they will do that.

Find a new bookmaker.

Weird how in decades of business they have not done this to anyone else though!

You must be a very special person to get so much unfair attention on your betting activity there. When no one else does.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagadka View Post

Well, wouldnt it be too bold for them to cancel only winning bets? Of course they canceled all wagers. But what makes me mad in this situation, that they have waited till the game was over. It is easy to decide whether you want to void all bets or grade them after the game. I am sure they would have graded them if Aris couldnt cover the hc. It is so unacceptable....Never heard of a bookie complaining about failed fix...
    There should be some time limit to act on fixing evidence you think?

I think it's fine to act whenever they have the evidence of fixers trying to steal from the rest of us. Whether the match is over or not.

You sound like you would like match fixers to have a better chance to be paid. Why is that

grekos
    grekos's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13316

They only won 79/56 and it was fixed?

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by grekos View Post
    They only won 79/56 and it was fixed?
    I don't know the details, but Pinnacle would have probably acted based on the betting activity.

I'd guess it must have been very obviously showing the fix was known for them to cancel.

They really do not do it so often that it should concern us.

Obviously it stings if affected as an innocent bettor, but it is good for us overall.

SBE

Same here, as for "my match" (Dolgopolov vs Monteiro) the match was still pending and Pinnacle was waiting how the match ends.

The tennis match (Dolgopolov vs Monteiro), that time, they removed it from their offer some 2 hours before the match really started. And never returned it back - before the start of the match as well as no LIVE betting for this match.

I am 100 % sure, they had to know about "the abnormal betting activity" before they removed it (2 hours before its beginning) and could make a decision - as to cancel it ! But they DID NOT !!!!! And this is the point I found it as UNFAIR.

If they cancelled it immediatelly (as they noticed the abnormal betting on it) - it would be OK (I could also "do something" with my opposite bet at Betfair in this case - and "close it", though with a small loss...)

But they were waiting about 3-4 more days !!! The bet was still pending and after that - they cancelled it !!!

Very, really very unfair.

Ramvil85

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    It sounds like you only have one option if you are so sure they will do that.

Find a new bookmaker.

Weird how in decades of business they have not done this to anyone else though!

You must be a very special person to get so much unfair attention on your betting activity there. When no one else does.

There should be some time limit to act on fixing evidence you think?

I think it's fine to act whenever they have the evidence of fixers trying to steal from the rest of us. Whether the match is over or not.

You sound like you would like match fixers to have a better chance to be paid. Why is that
    The problem is that they havent provided any evidence at all. They just did that because they have suspicions, not proofs.

I wouldnt write here if they would show proofs and official investigation results of fixed match.

pretentiousGuy
    pretentiousGuy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1573

How I imagine this situation is that governing bodies shoudl proceed wit hthe investigation and officially confirm the match was fixed. Find the guilty ones and declare the result voided.
    JUST CATCH THEM, BRO!

Superama
    Superama's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2293

They also voided bets on Dennis Novak vs Dragos Dima at Sibiu Challenger in 2018 due to strange betting activities. That all tournament was fishy af.

Igor_1965
    200 Independence Avenue
    Igor_1965's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 66

Quote Originally Posted by fire777 View Post
    Today I bet Horsens - Silkeborg (club friendly) on pinnacle horsens has + 0.5 A start of the second half, when horsens was losing, pinnacle cancels the bet because the fields have changed because the game has become Silkeborg vs Horsens. Pinnacle in this case gave me a gift, because I canceled a losing bet, but I do not like it, because I would have preferred that the cancellation before the start of the game.
    This is important, thanks for posting. Anybody else had money returned (not lost) after betting on a match with suspicious activity - please speak up.

cashin81
    hvob
    cashin81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2402

There was a greek cup soccer game a few weeks ago. With a minute to go another goal was priced at -110 at 365 and others.

so they know when its fixed, but if the odds are somewhat right, then its ok? if you get good odds, then its not ok?

Zagadka
    Zagadka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Evidence. That is the key word here as I understood. Pinnacle have no evidence, just their guessings.

- Boss, we have way too much action on this one.
    - Good! Just wait till the end. If won, cancel.

HeeeHAWWWW
    HeeeHAWWWW's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

Quote Originally Posted by Zagadka View Post
    Evidence. That is the key word here as I understood. Pinnacle have no evidence, just their guessings.
    From what I heard the Dolgopolov one was pretty solid.

It's a tricky situation tbh. There's a need for some deterrent - if they pay out everything regardless, the fixers run rampant.

infotimbo
    infotimbo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9878

I wouldnt write here if they would show proofs and official investigation results of fixed match.
    how is that supposed to work?! These kind of investigations usually take a year or so, so the only way to do that is by not settling any bets for months, just in case.

lonnie55
    lonnie55's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12267

The problem is that bookies don't void any fixed match but only specific matches. No idea which criterion they have. It can not be P/L only. Famous match-fixers Ante Sapina and his accomplice Marijo Cvrtak fixed so many matches, not only at the big stage but even undercapitalized markets like club friendlies where a fix can be easily identified as such (sudden live drops to 1.20 or lower followed by obvious mistakes by the defenders/goalies or refs) and where they did serious harm to the bookies for sure. I read books about these guys and many interviews and I did not find one word about an event where a bookie voided their bets (they played at Samvo broker, up to 6 figures per match). A remarkable statement was that only every third match-fixing attempt did work. So obviously they had more worries about the fix would actually work than about a bookie voiding their bets afterwards.

Maybe times has changed since then. On the one hand I can understand that the bookie doesn't want to compromise himself by revealing the details of the fix. If he did the match-fixers would know what they have to do or not to do to avoid that the bets get voided next time. So the bookie understandably wants to protect himself against the match-fixers. On the other hand it's totally understandable that the >99,9% of innocent bettors demand a reasonable explanation for the bookie's call that the match was fixed.

Anyway, in this special case I can see big pre-market drops. Have there been sports-related reasons like injuries at the opponent's side or were the pre moves totally irrational?
    Last edited by lonnie55; 02-07-19 at 08:48 AM.

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by lonnie55 View Post
    The problem is that bookies don't void any fixed match but only specific matches. No idea which criterion they have. It can not be P/L only. Famous match-fixers Ante Sapina and his accomplice Marijo Cvrtak fixed so many matches, not only at the big stage but even undercapitalized markets like club friendlies where a fix can be easily identified as such (sudden live drops to 1.20 or lower followed by obvious mistakes by the defenders/goalies or refs) and where they did serious harm to the bookies for sure. I read books about these guys and many interviews and I did not find one word about an event where a bookie voided their bets (they played at Samvo broker, up to 6 figures per match). A remarkable statement was that only every third match-fixing attempt did work. So obviously they had more worries about the fix would actually work than about a bookie voiding their bets afterwards.

Maybe times has changed since then. On the one hand I can understand that the bookie doesn't want to compromise himself by revealing the details of the fix. If he did the match-fixers would know what they have to do or not to do to avoid that the bets get voided next time. So the bookie understandably wants to protect himself against the match-fixers. On the other hand it's totally understandable that the >99,9% of innocent bettors demand a reasonable explanation for the bookie's call that the match was fixed.

Anyway, in this special case I can see big pre-market drops. Have there been sports-related reasons like injuries at the opponent's side or were the pre moves totally irrational?
    Good post. I have to agree that if books are not actually punishing the fixers through voiding, then there is too much impact on regular bettors with the current system. But also don't have a real solution to suggest either.