Yjacket22``
    Yjacket22``'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2295

API for Playing at Fairlay

I am new to betting exchanges but have been playing at Fairlay for a few weeks now. It is definitely different from playing at a traditional book but I like it. Would like to now learn how to set up and use an API. Would someone please tell me how to get started?

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9216

Quote Originally Posted by Yjacket22`` View Post
    I am new to betting exchanges but have been playing at Fairlay for a few weeks now. It is definitely different from playing at a traditional book but I like it. Would like to now learn how to set up and use an API. Would someone please tell me how to get started?
    They offer lots of documentation and example code to build on to get started

https://fairlay.com/api/

Have you done any coding before? If not it will be tougher learning Python as you go, but is a good way to learn it.

Otherwise you will need to employ a coder and tell them what you want. freelancer.com an easy place to start finding one.

trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry
    trytrytry's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 273425

with an API what exactly are you hoping to do at that exchange. automatically with no typing set offers and accept offers? Or just monitor prices? or set up new markets?

what are examples of what all an API or different codes can do?

Yjacket22``

Quote Originally Posted by trytrytry View Post
    with an API what exactly are you hoping to do at that exchange. automatically with no typing set offers and accept offers? Or just monitor prices? or set up new markets?

what are examples of what all an API or different codes can do?

I would like to know what all I could do with an API at Fairlay?? I just figured it must be a good tool to have around. After taking Optional's advice and looking at the website on API's it may be a little over my head though. I'm not an I T professional or anything close. Maybe that's the question I should have led off with. So, can anyone tell me how an API at Fairlay might benefit me?

PharaohUB
    PharaohUB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11464

I am interested in learning, but I'm a bit busy right now on some other projects. I want to learn how to be one of these market makers and maybe retire young, but part of me also thinks it would hard to make money as market maker or everyone would do it. Maybe I will open a book someday who knows. I'm interested but I already have a pretty good job and not sure it's worth risking legal trouble, but sure would be fun .

Let me know if you find out any more I am interested.

euronet
    euronet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2309

I would like to know what all I could do with an API at Fairlay?? I just figured it must be a good tool to have around. After taking Optional's advice and looking at the website on API's it may be a little over my head though. I'm not an I T professional or anything close. Maybe that's the question I should have led off with. So, can anyone tell me how an API at Fairlay might benefit me?
    Via Api you can do everything you can do via web site (webbrowser). Via API you act as regular user/bettor, you are working with your real money.
    You can make some alerts, for example if some odds drop to X value, then send sms, telegram, or similar.
    Anyway if you are not experienced IT developer, be aware that you can make error in code and lose your balance... I suggest if you want to start work with API, in first place use only read/get methods. For example to get events and current prices...
    I didn't find that FairLay offers demo API account.

And of course FairLay isn't only who have api. (betifar, pinnacle, matchbook, asianodds ...etc)

Optional

It's really only limited by your imagination. People use it many ways.

You might want a script to keep adjusting your offers to be best in market at all times until it reaches a certain risk amount or odds level.

You might want to do something similar but use it try and bet both sides of markets to "green out" for a guaranteed small profit each time.

You could create a script to do things like look for empty markets and post offers on them automatically, to catch recreational bettors just wanting to bet and not caring about odds.

You might have a strategy to look for matches in the last 5 mins where one team is being offered at 1.02 (-5000) or less and either take on all comers at those odds or bet against them... whatever your model suggests in that situation.

You might just monitor odds movement and use the information to trigger bets elsewhere.

You might just hate the fairlay interface and want to create your own 1 click quick bet interface.

Learning the scripting/programming is a lot easier than most people imagine. But learning enough to be sure you have everything right can take some time and effort. You don't need to be especially smart though. There is LOADS of tutorials and help forums available.

And if you are going to do it, it really is much much better to try to learn the basics yourself rather than pay someone from the word go. But paying someone isn't that expensive either. Plenty of competent 3rd world coders want jobs at 5 bucks an hour or less.

Yjacket22``

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    It's really only limited by your imagination. People use it many ways.

You might want a script to keep adjusting your offers to be best in market at all times until it reaches a certain risk amount or odds level.

You might want to do something similar but use it try and bet both sides of markets to "green out" for a guaranteed small profit each time.

You could create a script to do things like look for empty markets and post offers on them automatically, to catch recreational bettors just wanting to bet and not caring about odds.

You might have a strategy to look for matches in the last 5 mins where one team is being offered at 1.02 (-5000) or less and either take on all comers at those odds or bet against them... whatever your model suggests in that situation.

You might just monitor odds movement and use the information to trigger bets elsewhere.

You might just hate the fairlay interface and want to create your own 1 click quick bet interface.

Learning the scripting/programming is a lot easier than most people imagine. But learning enough to be sure you have everything right can take some time and effort. You don't need to be especially smart though. There is LOADS of tutorials and help forums available.

And if you are going to do it, it really is much much better to try to learn the basics yourself rather than pay someone from the word go. But paying someone isn't that expensive either. Plenty of competent 3rd world coders want jobs at 5 bucks an hour or less.
    I'm ready now to start learning to use an API at fairlay. I feel it would save me some time and work with all the counter offers I create. So, if you could direct me to any tutorials/forums I'd appreciate it. Would like to start with the most basic and work up. Thanks.

Optional

You can get example code to get started here;

https://github.com/Fairlay/FairlayPublicAPI
    https://github.com/Fairlay/FairlayPythonClient

I thought Fairlay and a couple of the bitcoin forums have active forums with people helping each other with API issues but searching around right now can't find them.

Everything you will need to know is actually on that Fairlay API page, it's just not presented in a way thats great for beginers.

Please let us know how you progress.

The Public API is just for taking data off the site. If you want to place/cancel orders you need to use the private API.

danshan11
    I am good at coin flips, I really am!
    danshan11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2888

Hey Optional I create my own lines are you saying I could post up my lines on fairlay before anyone else and take action without a margin at the line I like assuming bettor volume is high enough and people would take my action? Can you explain to me how it would work
    say I like an MLB team on the 16th and there are no lines out yet, would that be possible and how would it work, like fee wise do you know, thanks for any response???

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by danshan11 View Post
    Hey Optional I create my own lines are you saying I could post up my lines on fairlay before anyone else and take action without a margin at the line I like assuming bettor volume is high enough and people would take my action? Can you explain to me how it would work
    say I like an MLB team on the 16th and there are no lines out yet, would that be possible and how would it work, like fee wise do you know, thanks for any response???
    I haven't looked into it to know the fees. It won't be huge though. They want users.

You can do what you want, monitor for new empty markets and post up offers as soon as thy are added.

But the duel problem with that as a sole strategy is others will do the same if there is anybody actually taking early lines at bad prices. And if nobody is doing it then it probably means they tried and didnt get enough takers to bother.

Also, I think you need to wait for Fairlay to add the markets and I believe they use the Pinnacle API to add markets when they pop up on Pinnacle . So if you are thinking of posting super early, I'm not sure you can do it.

I'd email Fairlay with your idea and seee what they say.
    Points Awarded:

danshan11 gave Optional 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

littlekona
    littlekona's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5792

if someone did a good API or better offering for USA horses on Fairlay that would get good action as the current USA guy is awful closes markets 10 minutes before races and is hit or miss...there is one guy who has API tied into matchbook and betfair for UK horse races which is excellent plenty of liquidity and closes right at post times but takes 20 mins to grade races. the fairlay site has info on this API stuff under the info tab which is way over my head....https://fairlay.com/api/

danshan11

I haven't looked into it to know the fees. It won't be huge though. They want users.

You can do what you want, monitor for new empty markets and post up offers as soon as thy are added.

But the duel problem with that as a sole strategy is others will do the same if there is anybody actually taking early lines at bad prices. And if nobody is doing it then it probably means they tried and didnt get enough takers to bother.

Also, I think you need to wait for Fairlay to add the markets and I believe they use the Pinnacle API to add markets when they pop up on Pinnacle . So if you are thinking of posting super early, I'm not sure you can do it.

I'd email Fairlay with your idea and seee what they say.
    they were clueless and did not even understand what I meant. I told them I wanted to post lines before anyone else came out and take action for those lines and they were like " I dont think that is possible"

littlekona

they were clueless and did not even understand what I meant. I told them I wanted to post lines before anyone else came out and take action for those lines and they were like " I dont think that is possible"
    Thats cause you are clueless lol...post lines before anyone else came out...haha thats clasic

danshan11

Quote Originally Posted by littlekona View Post
    Thats cause you are clueless lol...post lines before anyone else came out...haha thats clasic
    I think you must be confused because your response is from a confused person or someone who does not understand how betting works. If you would like some clarification, I am more than willing to do so for you.

danshan11

the problem is what you said Optional
    A they might not be able to take action since they dont post that game until they get fed the api
    B there probably is not enough early action for it to be worth doing it
    I will send them a longer email and try to break it down like a 2 year old, usually those kinds of explanations help people like me, you know the "slow" people, LOL

but either way thanks a ton for the responses!

danshan11

can anyone chime in on whether you can put up a line before pinnacle does on fairlay, would be good info if someone knows, fairlay upfront staff does not seem to know

Optional

can anyone chime in on whether you can put up a line before pinnacle does on fairlay, would be good info if someone knows, fairlay upfront staff does not seem to know
    Have you signed up for a Developer key? There might be more info or a direct contact for API support in that area.

There is a Create Market call in the private API docs here: https://fairlay.com/api/#create-market-11 so it sounds like you may be able to add some things.

You need to do a bit more digging yourself. And find an API support person as regular CS sound like they don't know.

Optional

BTW, no book who offers an API will give hand holding help to code for it. There is too much risk for them being blamed for bad coding if they do that.

danshan11

Have you signed up for a Developer key? There might be more info or a direct contact for API support in that area.

There is a Create Market call in the private API docs here: https://fairlay.com/api/#create-market-11 so it sounds like you may be able to add some things.

You need to do a bit more digging yourself. And find an API support person as regular CS sound like they don't know.
    you can create a market and technically post a line BUT the catch is it wont be in the baseball or sports section it can only be in the "other" and people wont find it

danshan11

from them
    Ognjen-Support: As I have already told you, at the moment all our focus is on improving our technical aspects.

Ognjen-Support: So I am not sure how much can we help you at the moment but I am sure that we can once again go through your request from the current point of view.

Optional

you can create a market and technically post a line BUT the catch is it wont be in the baseball or sports section it can only be in the "other" and people wont find it
    Ah, that makes sense. They dont want to end up with duplicate markets.

from them
    Ognjen-Support: As I have already told you, at the moment all our focus is on improving our technical aspects.

Ognjen-Support: So I am not sure how much can we help you at the moment but I am sure that we can once again go through your request from the current point of view.
    What does that mean?

danshan11

Ah, that makes sense. They dont want to end up with duplicate markets.

What does that mean?
    I will translate it for you, quit asking and we are not trying to improve our product or be the first one to release lines for anything. PLease ask again with another email and wait 3 more months for me not to respond again.

littlekona

I will translate it for you, quit asking and we are not trying to improve our product or be the first one to release lines for anything. PLease ask again with another email and wait 3 more months for me not to respond again.
    Why should they waste time on this? It’s a loser idea from a small time newbie who can’t even research it himself when much info is available on this right on the site plus simple google search....there is a reason why overnite lines are not offered or limited on certain sports sharps would crush you....sorry

btw there are duplicate markets as there are 2 market makers on horses who offer same UK tracks...one is excellent other not so much...they list track name differently

danshan11

littlekona you are probably right, thanks for the heads up!

Barrakuda
    Barrakuda's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7305

"Duplicate markets?" As in, two? That's the entire concept of an exchange: have many market makers competing. Fairlay is headed nowhere but down. Check the volume on any major game. It's been five years, and still nothing going on.

littlekona

Quote Originally Posted by Barrakuda View Post
    "Duplicate markets?" As in, two? That's the entire concept of an exchange: have many market makers competing. Fairlay is headed nowhere but down. Check the volume on any major game. It's been five years, and still nothing going on.
    it is down a bit in last 24 hours 38 BTC matched. but that may just be due to the fact that major sport is in slow season esp mid week. With soccer heating up and NFL coming it will get big BTC matched...I have never had issues with liquidity and feel the site has gotten much better as they are actively looking to improve

danshan11

Quote Originally Posted by Barrakuda View Post
    they have rotation numbers for sports just like a book, so they allow you to lay or back different odds and amounts but the event is set in stone, I assume they pull the rotation from pinnacle since they dont have rotations up until pinny posts. The volume seems good at least for me I mean on a MLB side they had last night about .7btc a side you could jump on so that is what 3 4 grand roughly, that is near most books limits on a mlb side. I am talking specifically sports for horses I have no idea what volume should be, how rotation works and limits.

danshan11

Quote Originally Posted by littlekona View Post
    Why should they waste time on this? It’s a loser idea from a small time newbie who can’t even research it himself when much info is available on this right on the site plus simple google search....there is a reason why overnite lines are not offered or limited on certain sports sharps would crush you....sorry

btw there are duplicate markets as there are 2 market makers on horses who offer same UK tracks...one is excellent other not so much...they list track name differently
    you are very rude for no apparent reason, I took the high road last night but today decided to call you out because those comments were unnecessary, anytime you want to put your money where your mouth is on lines, I will put my lines up against your lines anytime and I KNOW FOR A FACT I will be closer with no doubt, dont bitch moan and piss put your money and your lines where your mouth is!

danshan11

me and little snowkona put up a btc address do a dime each line and post up MLB lines and the one closer to the closing line wins the btc and will send btc to the others btc address, we can do a dime a line, by dime in btc talk I mean .1 per line posted

danshan11

oh I think I got some head way going here! Fairlay has given me a key for the WNBA and they say I dont know if its fact but will also have NBA key. So I can create rotation markets before they come out on BOL. I will start working on the API now and update if I get any live lines up. If I can make WNbA work with the API, they say I can have a key for MLB but they want to see me do WNBA first since I have a track record with WNBA!, I am excited, I will start working on putting my old API skills to work now and update if I get anywhere!

Optional

Sounds like you are on your way now Danshan.

danshan11

yeah working on the api now! I hope it works out will keep the thread posted

jbayko
    jbayko's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1259

yeah working on the api now! I hope it works out will keep the thread posted
    Have you been successful in creating a new market through the website UI outside of the API? I dabbled with one but I couldn’t figure out how to get it to appear to the public in any of the categories.

Don’t worry. I won’t be competing with you. My intent is to create some ad hoc props and futures in politics and entertainment since the selection is lacking on that site. Therefore, it would be easier for me to just create them manually.

littlekona

you are very rude for no apparent reason, I took the high road last night but today decided to call you out because those comments were unnecessary, anytime you want to put your money where your mouth is on lines, I will put my lines up against your lines anytime and I KNOW FOR A FACT I will be closer with no doubt, dont bitch moan and piss put your money and your lines where your mouth is!
    may be little harsh don't take it personal but its true why should Fairlay help a small timer who has a not so bright idea that will not add value to site and has no clue how the technology works? They are very busy as site is growing. I think jbayko with his market ideas do add value as they are unique. Your idea you would get crushed by sharps as there is reason why over nites are limited in many markets...I do applaud you for trying to learn though as it is fascinating technology

1234 ... Last