Rich Marshall
    Rich Marshall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

BetOnline.AG Account Compromised

Hey all-- I recognize that I'm on a new account and y'all have no reason to believe anything I say, but I've nowhere else to turn and figured y'all could provide some insight if possible.

I discovered last week that someone logged onto my betonline account and moved all of my money into pokerroom and dumped chips.
    I logged on about 30 minutes after this happened and noticed my money gone, and checked transactions. I followed the trail into the poker room and even had to install the appropriate plugins to gain access for the first time as I had never been in the poker room. I saw what happened and opened a support ticket and an investigation was started right away.
    I received the following response 5 days later:
    Just to inform you that after the verification department review all your log in on your account, they inform that no other access was made on your account only from your same IP address, it is recommended that you change your email address on the account.
    A) Does anyone have any idea how this could be possible? My computer did not leave my side during the contested time period. For what it's worth, I live in an apartment building, but my wifi is password protected.
    B) Am I shit out of luck?

KS1986
    KS1986's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9576

If it's a clear case of chip dumping they should be able to tell form HH. They could get the funds back from the other account if that's the case. I'd keep pressing them. Good Luck

Rich Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by KS1986 View Post
    If it's a clear case of chip dumping they should be able to tell form HH. They could get the funds back from the other account if that's the case. I'd keep pressing them. Good Luck
    unfortunately, it wasn't an obviously clear chip dump; they joined a full 6 max table and lost 120 BB over about 50 hands with several all ins--- but they played some hands to the river, presumably to cover up the dump? I can no longer gain access to the hand history though as I immediately had them block the poker room.

My only thought is that I logged on for the first time via mobile at the super market earlier in the day to place a bet and that was somehow compromised? Hopefully I can get a log of IPs/logins and if there was a mobile login in the time in question, that was certainly narrow it down.
    Last edited by Rich Marshall; 12-02-17 at 09:45 AM.

4nic8ing
    4nic8ing's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

Two of these type of complaints in one week. Best of luck to the OP but these usually end with "it is the responsibility of the bettor to product his login info".

SBR Forum
    SBR Forum's Avatar Administrator
    Betpoints: 993413

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Marshall View Post

My only thought is that I logged on for the first time via mobile at the super market earlier in the day to place a bet and that was somehow compromised? Hopefully I can get a log of IPs/logins and if there was a mobile login in the time in question, that was certainly narrow it down.
    Hi Rich,

Welcome to SBR Forum.

It is possible for any of your browsing activity to be intercepted when performing web transactions from public hotspots. If for example your account was accessed and dumped chips to one account-holder who was unverified or had red flags associated with his own account, it is a scenario which has seen players receive refunds if the original funds were not yet cashed out. But from what you've described, it sounds like the poker activity would not fall under the category of obvious chip dumping with the intent of cashing out, but rather just gambling.

We are happy to ask BetOnline if they can share any specifics regarding your account log-ins if you would like. If so, we'd need your player ID.

Rich Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by SBR Forum View Post
    Hi Rich,

Welcome to SBR Forum.

It is possible for any of your browsing activity to be intercepted when performing web transactions from public hotspots. If for example your account was accessed and dumped chips to one account-holder who was unverified or had red flags associated with his own account, it is a scenario which has seen players receive refunds if the original funds were not yet cashed out. But from what you've described, it sounds like the poker activity would not fall under the category of obvious chip dumping with the intent of cashing out, but rather just gambling.

We are happy to ask BetOnline if they can share any specifics regarding your account log-ins if you would like. If so, we'd need your player ID.
    thanks for the reply--- when logged on via mobile, i specifically turned the wifi off and used my data. unsure how easy that is to intercept.

In the mean time, I've moved back to nitrogen where 2fa is available and of course, always turned on. The only reason I even moved over was because I was sick of being an idiot and misplacing decimals on my btc bets.

littlekona
    littlekona's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5828

chip dumping and collusion along those lines is easy for the rooms to pick up..can you share the hands on to the forum?

blackbart
    blackbart's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20649

exact same thing happened to me yesterday
    i used public wifi
    seems like a pattern $ grab?

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9225

Quote Originally Posted by blackbart View Post
    exact same thing happened to me yesterday
    i used public wifi
    seems like a pattern $ grab?
    At which book Blackbart?

And where was the wifi place?

Rich Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by littlekona View Post
    chip dumping and collusion along those lines is easy for the rooms to pick up..can you share the hands on to the forum?
    Unfortunately I can no longer access them as I immediately had the book block the poker room on my account. They've agreed to do a more in depth review of the account after I asked for IP history, though.

Rich Marshall

Update: Just a brief note to inform we've reinstated the previous balance of $480 and permanently closed the Poker account. I'm certain we don't need to remind you to please keep your password secure. We also recommend setting your account up to always require the password when logging in. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Had to convince them to open up separate investigations, but money back!
    Points Awarded:

Optional gave Rich Marshall 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Marshall View Post
    Update: Just a brief note to inform we've reinstated the previous balance of $480 and permanently closed the Poker account. I'm certain we don't need to remind you to please keep your password secure. We also recommend setting your account up to always require the password when logging in. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Had to convince them to open up separate investigations, but money back!
    Great news

Rich Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    Great news
    i'm definitely happy---wish they had 2fa though!

ChocMilk23
    Day to Day
    ChocMilk23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

Hold up. I have Betonline. How can i make it so i dont have to enter my password everytime LOL?!?!

Rich Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by ChocMilk23 View Post
    Hold up. I have Betonline. How can i make it so i dont have to enter my password everytime LOL?!?!
    no clue ha

blackbart

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    At which book Blackbart?

And where was the wifi place?
    betonline, holiday inn

Waterstpub87
    Slan go foill
    Waterstpub87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7236

betonline, holiday inn
    Hotel wifi, especially at chains, is really unsecure. I don't use it. I make my phone into a hotspot and use that.
    Points Awarded:

KVB gave Waterstpub87 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Good News Marshall.

Optional

betonline, holiday inn
    May as well send in your account ID as well and see if anything can be done too.

blackbart

while its possible i was hacked, much more likely its a bol security issue, and hopefully they realize this.