thehun
    thehun's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

Racebets stealing deposit and closing my account

I had an account which was verified since 2013, and I recently logged in and made a small deposit but noticed I couldn't place any bets. After getting in touch with support I am told that since I am logging in with an IP of another country I can't play (I moved recently) and they ask me for verification documents.

I sent a utility bill and they tell me that it's not valid and ask for another different one. As I don't have any other documents to show and TBH couldn't even be bothered to lose half a day of work to get some other papers for such a small amount I just told them to reimburse my deposit as I never got to place a bet. The lady I was talking with replied that it's not possible so I asked to speak with a manager. She told me she would forward our correspondence to the manager and she got back in touch with me saying this:

Hi XXXXX,
    Hope you are well.
    We would like to inform you that we cannot proceed with your recent withdrawal request. Kindly note that your document copies have unfortunately, not passed our security verification checks and as a consequence and in relation with our terms and conditions, in such circumstances, we have closed your account.
    We wish you all the best going forward.
    Best regards,
    Laura Raphael

Can they do this? Can they get away with a confiscation of a deposit so easily? What can I do? It's not a big amount but it still pisses me off that they allow themselves such smugness.

moojoo
    moojoo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 229

They must reimburse your deposit.

thehun

Quote Originally Posted by moojoo View Post
    They must reimburse your deposit.
    I see it that way too. It would be different if there were any winnings in dispute but in this case I don't believe they have the right and I told them so but they just chose to ignore everything and confiscate my money.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9204

Unfortunately they are definitely allowed to do this. Their license says that you must pass KYC in order for them to pay you anything. Even your own deposit back.

If you cant be bothered obtaining the required documents, then you have no case.

Pinocchio
    Pinocchio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8101

That is theft, plain and simple. Since most victims are not lawyers, they generally just agree to lose their money this way...

thehun

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    Unfortunately they are definitely allowed to do this. Their license says that you must pass KYC in order for them to pay you anything. Even your own deposit back.

If you cant be bothered obtaining the required documents, then you have no case.
    So basically their terms say that they have a free pass to steal people's money as they please, they only need to reject documents indefinitely without any given reason. Is that even legal?

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by thehun View Post

So basically their terms say that they have a free pass to steal people's money as they please, they only need to reject documents indefinitely without any given reason. Is that even legal?
    No, their terms say they must identify the person to meet anti-money laundering laws.

If you think you can just say I cant be bothered supplying suitable documents, then its you throwing your money away, not them stealing it.

Is this your first time being asked for KYC docs?

thehun

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    No, their terms say they must identify the person to meet anti-money laundering laws.

If you think you can just say I cant be bothered supplying suitable documents, then its you throwing your money away, not them stealing it.

Is this your first time being asked for KYC docs?
    I sent my documents TWICE. The first time when I opened the account back in 2013 and now again, but for some reason they didn't like them.

I'm not going to lose half a day of work to run after some other papers for a measly 20€ deposit, especially when there is absolutely no guarantee that they will be accepted either. What pisses me off is not the 20€ in itself but the fact that they can get away with such thievery.

This has nothing to do with AML as there is no way I would be laundering anything if the deposit is reimbursed to the same place it came from. I had a similar issue with Coral in the past asking for extra docs but they were legit and told me that if I didn't comply they would give me my original deposit back (just not the winnings). However you look at it this is just plain thievery, as they are actually profiting from it.

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by thehun View Post

I sent my documents TWICE. The first time when I opened the account back in 2013 and now again, but for some reason they didn't like them.

I'm not going to lose half a day of work to run after some other papers for a measly 20€ deposit, especially when there is absolutely no guarantee that they will be accepted either. What pisses me off is not the 20€ in itself but the fact that they can get away with such thievery.

This has nothing to do with AML as there is no way I would be laundering anything if the deposit is reimbursed to the same place it came from. I had a similar issue with Coral in the past asking for extra docs but they were legit and told me that if I didn't comply they would give me my original deposit back (just not the winnings). However you look at it this is just plain thievery, as they are actually profiting from it.
    You can cry fowl as much as you want but if you play with any site licensed in the UK they have strict laws abut KYC.

Which have changed since 2013. And have quite specific document requirements.

It's fine if you find it too onerous to bother with for £20 but it really is not thievery and the book does not profit from it as they must remit the funds to the UKGC.