noober
    noober's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5901

sportingbet withdrawal tax

Recenly, Sportingbet introduced 3.5% withdrawal tax if you use skrill. When i deposited it says there are no taxes on withdrawals with skrill. Given that, do I have the right to argue they have to process my withdrawal without tax? Thanks.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9137

Quote Originally Posted by noober View Post
    Recenly, Sportingbet introduced 3.5% withdrawal tax if you use skrill. When i deposited it says there are no taxes on withdrawals with skrill. Given that, do I have the right to argue they have to process my withdrawal without tax? Thanks.
    I can't see the Euro version of sportingbet rules from here but I assume they include a clause that says that you accept the terms plus revisions of them. So technically they might be able to charge the fee still but it is unfair still I think.

Biggest trouble with trying to rely on your rights here is that even if they agree to not charge the 3.5% because you don't agree to the change in terms, they will probably close your account at the same time. You don't agree with the terms any more after all... if you see what I mean.

I think your best chance is to write a friendly email, hopefully to the finance dept instead of CS if you can find it, just asking them to be fair and not charge it this one time as the deposit was made prior to the new fee coming in.

noober

Account is already so limited that its unusable.

Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20489

A few thoughts about this:

I find it unacceptable that any business can simply introduce new conditions without proper and adequate notification to customers.
    There are a couple of bookies I encounter frequently which just put up a message on logging in that their T+Cs have been updated and that by continuing to bet you are deemed to have accepted them. Sure, they will have a link to their full T+Cs but it is quite unreasonable for them to expect someone who's just logged in to make a bet to have to read everything first. That imho amounts to forcing a customer to accept the conditions under duress and should thus be legally unenforceable.
    Contrast that to my bank which will put up a notice weeks in advance of any pending changes and spells out the details of what's changing rather than only a link to their full T+Cs.

Now, as I understand it Skrill would charge the merchant a fee when a customer makes a deposit to their account, not on a withdrawal?
    So why is Sportingbet charging a fee on withdrawal?
    Skrill's fee would have been a percentage of the deposit made.
    If the punter has won and is withdrawing more than he deposited then Sportingbet is making an unjustifiable profit on the fees.
    If their T+Cs didn't include any fees when the deposit was made it is utterly unconscionable to now apply a fee on withdrawal.

noober

I forgot to mention that they have a deposit fee of 3.5% as well.

Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20489

Quote Originally Posted by noober View Post
    I forgot to mention that they have a deposit fee of 3.5% as well.
    So you pay 3.5% on depositing and then another 3.5% on withdrawals?
    Is the withdrawal fee paid on your total withdrawal or just the amount of your initial deposit?
    Either way this is just robbery and nobody in their right mind would be playing at a bookie imposing such fees.

noober

The withdrawal fee is on the total amount. So, if you depposit 1k you would pay 35 bucks. If you make them into 2k and decide to withdraw all you would pay another 70 bucks.

JayZ
    JayZ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5247

Sportingbet doesn't charge any deposit / withdrawal fees on any method to UK customers at present but does include this in its terms:
    Sportingbet may charge a flat fee or a percentage on any deposit or refund transaction. Any charge will be clearly indicated when the transaction is made and the customer will have the option of rejecting the transaction and choose another cheaper or zero fee option.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

fees going to sink players and books alike in future

dealer wins
    dealer wins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11819

Agreed, it costs banks, EWallets etc next to nothing to move money about but they charge bookies stupid fees.

And no player wants to pay a fee to deposit money to gamble with so charging them is suicide IMO.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

The books that charge high fees will eventually be forced out of the game