Clesportsfan
    Clesportsfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

Bovada scammed me!

I joined Bovada a week ago and don't have much experience with sports betting, but I have watched football for many years. For Thursday night's game between the Steelers and Patriots, I put $10 on Ben Roethlisberger to be an "Anytime Touchdown Scorer". I assumed that a passing touchdown would count for this. My assumption was confirmed when I in fact won the bet after he scored only 1 touchdown in the game, which was by passing.

After this positive reinforcement, I was excited to wager more money for the Sunday games. I placed $100 each on Andrew Luck and Aaron Rodgers to be "Anytime Touchdown Scorers". Additionally, I put $10 on Russell Wilson for the same thing. Also, I put $10 on Jay Cutler and $10 on Aaron Rodgers to be the "First Touchdown Scorer" in the GB vs CHI game, and another $15 on Peyton Manning and $15 on Joe Flacco for the "First Touchdown Scorer" in the DEN vs BAL game. This way, if the first TD was passing, I would win in each game. When Aaron Rodgers scored the first TD, I was excited because I thought I won both bets I placed for him. But I was shocked to see that I lost both bets. I also should have won the Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson bets.

I called Bovada customer service and they told me a "touchdown scorer" was a player that actually crossed the end zone, and that a passing touchdown did not meet the criteria. I have watched football for many years, and I know quarterbacks score touchdowns. Additionally, they don't have THEIR definition of a touchdown scorer anywhere on their website. I called Bovada 3 times on Sunday and heard 4 different definitions of touchdown scorer. I also referenced that I won the bet on Thursday with a passing touchdown. They explained to me that the Thursday bet was settled incorrectly, and I never should have won it. It was at this point when I asked for all the money that I risked on Sunday to be returned and they refused. They also promised me that since they made the mistake, that they wouldn't resettle the bet that I won on Thursday. However, a few hours later the Thursday bet was resettled and I lost everything that I won.

I explained to them that I only placed the bets on Sunday because THEY taught me that a touchdown PASS met the criteria for a win. Obviously, if I thought that these quarterbacks needed a rushing touchdown, I never would have wagered so much money. I only wanted them to refund the money I RISKED, but they said it was not possible once the bet was made (but they changed the Thursday bet to benefit them). On Sunday morning, I had around $250 in my account. By the end of the night I had $-36. Yes, that's a negative sign before the 36. They conned me into believing a passing TD was legit, and stole all my money from me. They only offered bonus money in return which is pointless to me and it wasn't even the full amount that I risked. I just wanted to share this scam with anyone that will listen!

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9194

I think most of us have had an experience or two where we thought rules would work a certain way but they didn't when we started out betting.

Buffalo Nickle
    Buffalo Nickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 878

Oh boy. That's the school of hard knocks. Aye, yay, yay.

I'd say the bonus offer was pretty generous.

Clesportsfan

The bonus offer was pretty generous? Would you be ok with a company misleading you, stealing your real money, and then giving you back Monopoly money?

Buffalo Nickle

It was your fault. Not theirs. The winning bet was a trick from the Gambling Gods. They are bastards and will get you every time.

They were willing to meet you half way. For all they knew, you were a scammer.

Clesportsfan

Did you even read what I wrote? How is this my fault exactly? I'll wait for your brilliant response. Or are you being sarcastic? I can't tell online.

Buffalo Nickle

Yes. You made some idiot bets and lost. You were going to lose your money anyway. You just got it over with.

So now stop gambling!!!

But if you must continue try to just bet a few games. And pray to the Gambling Gods for forgiveness and perhaps they will be merciful. Wait for a really good game and then put it all down and get even. That's called Martingale betting and it works sometimes,

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9194

Settle down Clesportsfan, Buffalo is just trying to explain how it is. Not have a go at you.

It was just bad luck the wrong grading confused you and I feel your pain but you weren't scammed and any good will offer to help ease your pain is good of them.

It really is your own fault. We need to read the rules and understand them for bets we make.

Clesportsfan

"Idiot bets" lol. Thanks for your brilliant response that I was expecting. You clearly either work for Bovada, you didn't read what I wrote, or you're an idiot. Or a combination of those. Get lost.

Buffalo Nickle

They didn't win did they?

Clesportsfan

What "rules"?? As I said in my post, they didn't have a "rule" for touchdown scorer on their website. All I had to go on was the win that I had on Thursday. And how is it not reasonable to get the money that I risked based on false information refunded? They scammed me plain and simple. You must work for Bovada too.

Clesportsfan

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Nickle View Post
    They didn't win did they?
    No, they didn't. That's why I only asked for the money I wagered to be refunded.

Buffalo Nickle

I deposited $500 with Bovada based on false information they gave me. I'm not a big fan of theirs. But mistakes happen. Like I said, they were pretty generous. Anybody else would have told you to get lost.

Clesportsfan

I deposited $500 with Bovada based on false information they gave me. I'm not a big fan of theirs. But mistakes happen. Like I said, they were pretty generous. Anybody else would have told you to get lost.
    You should learn the difference between mistake and scam. They have the power to make things right, but don't. I guess I expect more out of businesses that I interact with than you do.

Buffalo Nickle

Quote Originally Posted by Clesportsfan View Post
    You should learn the difference between mistake and scam. They have the power to make things right, but don't. I guess I expect more out of businesses that I interact with than you do.
    No, you need to learn the difference. You have not been scammed. You made some stupid bets. Why did you think Bovada was just going to give you money on these bets?

Clesportsfan

No, you need to learn the difference. You have not been scammed. You made some stupid bets. Why did you think Bovada was just going to give you money on these bets?
    Again you prove that you didn't read what I wrote. I didn't want the payout, I wanted what I risked based on bad information THAT THEY GAVE ME. If you thought a TD pass won a bet, wouldn't you bet on Andrew Luck and Aaron Rodgers to score?? Are all posters here like you? I'm new so I have no idea.

Buffalo Nickle

I think they could have done that. But lets be realistic. That's probably not going to happen. They met you half way. You made a newbie mistake. Trust me it is not going to be your last.

No, all posters are not like me. I'm a nice guy. You don't want to know what other people are like.

Clesportsfan

I think they could have done that. But lets be realistic. That's probably not going to happen. They met you half way. You made a newbie mistake. Trust me it is not going to be your last.
    Again, I expect more out of businesses that I interact with than you do. They mislead me, scammed me, and refused to own up to it. They definitely didn't meet me halfway. Please stop spewing nonsense.

Buffalo Nickle

You are doomed. Do not gamble any more.

Clesportsfan

You are doomed. Do not gamble any more.
    I don't plan on it with Bovada. Thanks for your brilliant responses. Now go away.

Buffalo Nickle

This is the best $250 you will ever lose. Now just stop.

InTheRed
    InTheRed's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17680

Quote Originally Posted by Clesportsfan View Post
    Again you prove that you didn't read what I wrote. I didn't want the payout, I wanted what I risked based on bad information THAT THEY GAVE ME. If you thought a TD pass won a bet, wouldn't you bet on Andrew Luck and Aaron Rodgers to score?? Are all posters here like you? I'm new so I have no idea.
    They didn't give you bad information. What you should be complaining about is that they gave you no information.

Even before I started betting, even when I was a wee little boy, I knew that a TD scorer was the person with the ball over the goaline. I also know that Jerry Rice holds the record for touchdowns scored. He has 208. Peyton Manning had 55 passing TDs just in 2013 alone.

These are simple statistical terms someone should know before getting into the world of sports gambling.

Further, did you not find it strange that Rodgers' odds for "Any TD scorer" was sooooo good for a guy who throws on average 2 TD PASSES a game, but averages only .18 rushing TDs a game.

You were not scammed. Did they make a grading mistake? Sure. But to not know what the definition of a TD scorer is, you would have lost your money within the month anyways.

The most unrealistic thing about this entire thread is that he was able to get onto bovada's website and make 8 bets.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

what was the vig on these bets?

Clesportsfan

Quote Originally Posted by InTheRed View Post
    They didn't give you bad information. What you should be complaining about is that they gave you no information.

Even before I started betting, even when I was a wee little boy, I knew that a TD scorer was the person with the ball over the goaline. I also know that Jerry Rice holds the record for touchdowns scored. He has 208. Peyton Manning had 55 passing TDs just in 2013 alone.

These are simple statistical terms someone should know before getting into the world of sports gambling.

Further, did you not find it strange that Rodgers' odds for "Any TD scorer" was sooooo good for a guy who throws on average 2 TD PASSES a game, but averages only .18 rushing TDs a game.

You were not scammed. Did they make a grading mistake? Sure. But to not know what the definition of a TD scorer is, you would have lost your money within the month anyways.

The most unrealistic thing about this entire thread is that he was able to get onto bovada's website and make 8 bets.
    I DID know what a TD scorer was. I won money on Roethlisberger's ONLY TD, which was passing. So they did give me this information. If I lost that $10 on Thursday, I wouldn't have made any more bets. How would I have lost my money within the month? How is this not making sense? The odds are irrelevant. The only reasonable thing they could have done is refund me the risked money. Period.

Clesportsfan

Quote Originally Posted by Ghenghis Kahn View Post
    what was the vig on these bets?
    I don't remember exactly, but they were good. But again, that is irrelevant.

Buffalo Nickle

It's only going to get worse from here. I recommend exiting stage left.

I recommend 5 Dimes. Ask for Tony and tell him your story and tell him you expect better!

Fitz030808
    Fitz030808's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16504

The vig is relevant. That should've been your first sign that something wasn't right. If something looks too good to be true, it usually is so I would take buffalo nickels advice. At the very least listen to Optional. Know what you're betting before you bet it.

Clesportsfan

Quote Originally Posted by Fitz030808 View Post
    The vig is relevant. That should've been your first sign that something wasn't right. If something looks too good to be true, it usually is so I would take buffalo nickels advice. At the very least listen to Optional. Know what you're betting before you bet it.
    I did know what I was betting. A passing touchdown won me money. Why would that require further research? How was I supposed to know they made a mistake with my Thursday night win? Again, the only reasonable thing they could have done is refund me the risked money.

InTheRed

You DIDN'T know what a TD scorer was until you incorrectly won the bet. You then said that you if you lost the $10 on Thurs, you wouldn't have made the other bets. Therefore you did not know what it was until after the bet. You didn't know a standard statistic definition prior to placing a bet on that statistic.

The odds are not irrelevant. The fact that there were good, as you noted, shows that most likely it was "too good to be true" and another sign that you didn't know what the statistic was nor what you were actually betting on.

Just because you are uninformed before placing the bet does not mean that they scammed you. It also doesn't mean that they need to do a single thing to "make it right". If you went to a Blackjack table and were dealt two face cards and you hit it, and the dealer says absolutely nothing and you bust. And then you complain that you didn't know the rules. Do you think you're getting your bet back?

"Buyers Beware".

SharpAngles
    SharpAngles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1638

Rule 1A of betting: don't be a hamburger.

OP fails

Clesportsfan

You DIDN'T know what a TD scorer was until you incorrectly lost the bet. You then said that you if you lost the $10 on Thurs, you wouldn't have made the other bets. Therefore you did not know what it was until after the bet. You didn't know a standard statistic definition prior to placing a bet on that statistic.

The odds are not irrelevant. The fact that there were good, as you noted, shows that most likely it was "too good to be true" and another sign that you didn't know what the statistic was nor what you were actually betting on.

Just because you are uninformed before placing the bet does not mean that they scammed you. It also doesn't mean that they need to do a single thing to "make it right". If you went to a Blackjack table and were dealt two face cards and you hit it, and the dealer says absolutely nothing and you bust. And then you complain that you didn't know the rules. Do you think you're getting your bet back?

"Buyers Beware".
    Bovada does NOT define what a touchdown scorer is on their site. When I called, they gave me 4 different definitions (one person even said a touchdown can be carried OR passed). If they have rules and regulations they should make it known.

Bad analogy. The rules of blackjack are well documented, but if I hit on two face cards and WIN on my first time playing blackjack, then they change their minds after I wager even more money, yea it's their fault.

Clesportsfan

Quote Originally Posted by SharpAngles View Post
    Rule 1A of betting: don't be a hamburger.

OP fails
    Another great response. Thanks!

InTheRed

But Bovada doesn't need to define what is it. It is a football term wildly known. It is a statistic that is kept. Jerry Rice is the all time leader. It was a very big deal when he broke it.

Does Bovada have to define what a Touchdown is? Or a turnover? No because these are wildly known football terms and statistics.

You however never heard of the term before.

Clesportsfan

But Bovada doesn't need to define what is it. It is a football term wildly known. It is a statistic that is kept. Jerry Rice is the all time leader. It was a very big deal when he broke it.

Does Bovada have to define what a Touchdown is? Or a turnover? No because these are wildly known football terms and statistics.

You however never heard of the term before.
    Lol. So quarterbacks don't score touchdowns now? Tom Brady is going to the Hall of Fame for scoring 14 TDs (rushing) in his career? Wow, that's really impressive. You must work for Bovada too.

Jerm3462
    FREE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Jerm3462's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8126

Dude. You made a mistake. You learned a lesson . .

Getting "good" odds for Aaron Rogers throwing a TD pass should have been a sign you didn't understand the wager. We've all done similar things on props..

Breathe in. Breathe out . Move on

12 Last