Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20483

Bet365 engaged in misleading and deceptive conduct

11 September 2015

The Federal Court has found that Bet365’s Australian and UK companies engaged in misleading and deceptive conduct when offering free bets to new customers, in proceedings brought by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission. Bet365 is one of the worlds’ largest online betting providers.
    His Honour Justice Beach stated “the ACCC has made out its case against Hillside Australia and Hillside UK in relation to the promotion and advertising during the period 18 March 2013 to 13 January 2014 of the “$200 FREE BETS FOR NEW CUSTOMERS” offer. Their relevant conduct was misleading or deceptive or likely to mislead or deceive and also involved the making of false representations. For the reasons already given, new customers who had not previously used such types of services were drawn into this web of deception. But other customers who had used such types of services before may have been similarly enticed.”
    The Federal Court found against both the Australian Bet365 company, Hillside (Australia New Media) and its UK sister company Hillside (Shared Services).
    “This judgment makes it clear that companies cannot use the word ‘free’ in offers to consumers where any conditions that seek to neutralise the ‘free’ nature of the offer are not clearly identified. Inducements like free bets run the risk of signing up new and inexperienced gamblers based on a deceptive claim,” ACCC Chairman Rod Sims said.
    “The free bet offer was directed at new customers, which included inexperienced gamblers and young people. The ACCC will take action where it thinks consumers are being misled, especially in emerging markets where there are potentially vulnerable consumers.”
    Some of the conditions the ACCC was concerned about included a condition where customers had to gamble their deposit and bonus three times before being able to withdraw any winnings. As a result, a customer who makes an initial deposit of $200 and receives $200 must then gamble $1200 before being able to withdraw any money.
    “Compliance with the Australian Consumer Law is essential for all companies that sell to Australian consumers, regardless of geographic location. Bet365 in the UK provided essential support to the Australian company including finance, customer service, and the Bet365 website,” Mr Sims said.
    The ACCC did not succeed in its allegations that representations made by the companies offering Deposit Bonus with qualifications were misleading or in relation to Free Bet representations made for a short period of time in January 2014 where the terms and conditions applying to the offer were displayed in full on the opening page. The ACCC also did not succeed in its allegations of involvement of Bet365 Group Limited, the ultimate holding company of Hillside (Australia New Media) and Hillside (Shared Services) Limited.
    The free bet claims came to the attention of the ACCC as part of a coordinated sweep of ‘free’ representations on websites targeting Australian consumers. This initiative was part of a larger global effort through the International Consumer Protection and Enforcement Network.
    There will be a further trial in relation to penalty.

Release number:
    MR 175/15

Media enquiries:
    Media team - 1300 138 917

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

People suing cuz of rollover.

Lost all their money.

cutter341975
    This year I'm screaming WHO DAT!!
    cutter341975's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 125

Well..git their hot azzes!

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9225

Quote Originally Posted by MoMoneyMoVaughn View Post
    People suing cuz of rollover.

Lost all their money.
    No one is suing.

Govt Dept enforcing consumer laws.

Not really sure how this helps gamblers 2 years after the event though. Sounds a bit like Bet365 just needed to disclose the rollover better. Not sure why they would even argue the point unless the ACCC did not approach them until after the event.

Wish these watchdogs were bit more on the ball in real time.

Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20483

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    No one is suing.

Govt Dept enforcing consumer laws.

Not really sure how this helps gamblers 2 years after the event though. Sounds a bit like Bet365 just needed to disclose the rollover better. Not sure why they would even argue the point unless the ACCC did not approach them until after the event.

Wish these watchdogs were bit more on the ball in real time.
    Quite correct!

What I don't understand is why, when twice I contacted the ACCC (and other consumer bodies) and was fobbed off by them all saying they don't have any jurisdiction in the gambling arena!

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

bet365 one of best recreational books in the world

I do not think they care about some silly report

Grivas_Digeni
    Mini Horses FTW
    Grivas_Digeni's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23436

Enforcing...this??? lol

I wonder if Australians are allowed to bet real money on fantasy football. Now THAT is something everyone needs to be protected from, not a free wager from a reputable bookie.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9225

Quote Originally Posted by Grivas_Digeni View Post
    Enforcing...this??? lol

I wonder if Australians are allowed to bet real money on fantasy football. Now THAT is something everyone needs to be protected from, not a free wager from a reputable bookie.
    As an Aussie, it seems a bit like Govt PR effort to show that they control the industry and protect the consumer.

But most Aussie books hand out 1x or no rollover bonuses like water to rec players. So if the 3x wasn't properly disclosed it probably did seem like a con to some local punters.

juuso
    juuso's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

3x rollover for a 100% bonus is good, but sure, wording on the offer might have been a bit misleading. I wouldn't complain though. Just took 100% bonus for 100€ they have been giving regularly at the start of soccer season. It was still valid after a month+. I rarely play there and still have OK limits, which I'm pretty surprised. Though I won all in bet on tennis but scalped the wins out by betting other side on different book with my next 400€ bet. I think I did the same last yet. I'm close to +/- 0 there, and mostly play live bets, so that's probably why they haven't limited me much yet.

JayZ
    JayZ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5247

Bet 365 have similar Advertising Standard Authority rulings against them in the UK on their 'free' bet ads and the way they administer 'free' bets:

https://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjud...DJ_227363.aspx
    https://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjud...DJ_245703.aspx

IBetYou
    IBetYou's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16119

ahaha freerollers wanting their money back. Get off your arses and earn some money you bums!