thespeculator
    thespeculator's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13168

my bitcoins stolen

It happened over a week ago from localbitcoins and it truly the worst feeling ever. I first of all understand that it is not there responsibility if you get hacked. But there customer support is the worst. Totally incompetent. I am just glad it happened when i had a smaller balance (800).

Just wanted to post and let you guys know to keep your wallets secure as possible. Needless to say I will be staying away from bitcoins for a while. I think if I do go back it be with a proper exchange.

RonPaul2008
    Update your status
    RonPaul2008's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 243569

This is one of the main reasons I have not jumped in to bitcoin yet. How did this happen? The wallet on your computer was somehow hacked? Is this actually related to localbitcoins?

Legions36
    Legions36's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7744

Did u have 2 factor authentication on? This should never happen if u did?

thespeculator

I didn't have the 2 factor, but like I said I am more pissed at the their customer support who still haven't gotten back to me yet. I shouldn't have used a public wifi. I guess it must have been someone there who knew how to control my ipad

thespeculator

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaul2008 View Post
    This is one of the main reasons I have not jumped in to bitcoin yet. How did this happen? The wallet on your computer was somehow hacked? Is this actually related to localbitcoins?
    i guess i was naive. Once the coins are gone thats it . Picking winners is hard enough, then to lose it like this sucks

Skrilla777
    Skrilla777's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 893

How long did you have them in lbc before they were gone.

thespeculator

I bought bitcoins from another trader. That person released them from escrow. I look at my account and almost instantly they were sent to another address.
    13pLJay5Xa9gcFJivJe4anBGmyocx4kBt8 this is the address of the person who stole my money

If you guys know how to trace , you can have the entire 800( if thats even possible)

Legions36

How come u dont use a vpn when out in public places? How long has this person had a history with lbc? This is the first i have heard of something like this? If he already sent it to your account having 2 factor on would not allow something like this to ever happen. If your using bitcoins you need to protect yourself in ever way and you have to use this for any place, coinbase, blockchain.org, btc-e. It goes right to your phone google authenticator is the way to go.

raiders72001
    raiders72001's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15350

Quote Originally Posted by thespeculator View Post
    It happened over a week ago from localbitcoins and it truly the worst feeling ever. I first of all understand that it is not there responsibility if you get hacked. But there customer support is the worst. Totally incompetent. I am just glad it happened when i had a smaller balance (800).

Just wanted to post and let you guys know to keep your wallets secure as possible. Needless to say I will be staying away from bitcoins for a while. I think if I do go back it be with a proper exchange.
    Sorry to hear that. I've never heard of LBC having accounts hacked. The only problems are Paypal charge backs.

thespeculator

Quote Originally Posted by raiders72001 View Post
    Sorry to hear that. I've never heard of LBC having accounts hacked. The only problems are Paypal charge backs.
    thanks. the trader couldn't have done it. He was in a different city. It was a ** donalds wifi , so i couldn't have gone in to a fake wifi. But i have a feeling it was one of those key loggers with fake wifi.

trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry
    trytrytry's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 273617

thanks. the trader couldn't have done it. He was in a different city. It was a ** donalds wifi , so i couldn't have gone in to a fake wifi. But i have a feeling it was one of those key loggers with fake wifi.
    maybe dont type on your bit coin wallet address, always copy and paste it in?
    person would also need your password in?

the MAC don Wii fi key logger to me sounds like a super long shot at best...

thespeculator

Quote Originally Posted by trytrytry View Post
    maybe dont type on your bit coin wallet address, always copy and paste it in?
    person would also need your password in?

the MAC don Wii fi key logger to me sounds like a super long shot at best...
    yes , i always copy and paste. what happened i didn't even see. The coins were released on one side and I was about to deposit to anonibet. When I looked it was showing my coins had been sent to the address i mentioned above.

Legions36

Ok can u please walk us through the whole process of what happened step by step? I dont understand what has happened? Please tell us to did you have 2 step auth enabled on lbc account? I have only heard of stories of what could happen if you didn't protect yourself correctly, I have never actually heard of something like this happening.
    How could they just release your coins to u only to send them off somewhere else without u knowing? The only thing I can think of is you not having 2step enabled and this really isn't the fault of a bitcoin transaction or even a hacker, its more on the lines of not protecting yourself correctly with your money.

thespeculator

Quote Originally Posted by Legions36 View Post
    Ok can u please walk us through the whole process of what happened step by step? I dont understand what has happened? Please tell us to did you have 2 step auth enabled on lbc account? I have only heard of stories of what could happen if you didn't protect yourself correctly, I have never actually heard of something like this happening.
    How could they just release your coins to u only to send them off somewhere else without u knowing? The only thing I can think of is you not having 2step enabled and this really isn't the fault of a bitcoin transaction or even a hacker, its more on the lines of not protecting yourself correctly with your money.
    I didn't have to step auth enabled , true. But somelse had to move my funds. They then closed my account. This is what I am trying to get localbitcoins to look into. Open my account back up and tell me what happened.The support still hasn't told my what happened after over 15 emails.

Legions36

I didn't have to step auth enabled , true. But somelse had to move my funds. They then closed my account. This is what I am trying to get localbitcoins to look into. Open my account back up and tell me what happened.The support still hasn't told my what happened after over 15 emails.
    Im not sure what you can do about this. I did read on LBC that if u have a dispute with buying bitcoins u have to wait 24 hours but this is something on your end which I dont know if they cover something like this if you dont have 2 factor on.
    Anytime you deal with these bitcoins put on 2factor so this cant happen. You can even make it too if u send or recieve $5 you get a notification and u have to manually punch in the code before anything can be sent. This is what protects you from any kind of hack.
    Also think about purchasing a vpn if u like to use internet cafes. Everything i do with bitcoins has all this extra protection and some and have never had one issue yet.
    Damn this really sucks cause I know theres not much you can do here unless u can prove to LBC somehow this was on there side.

PharaohUB
    PharaohUB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11494

I never understand these sites where your display username is the same as your log on. At least make it your email address. Once somebody makes a trade with you they have half of your log on information, and then can just use password hacks to gain passwords. Not saying that's what happened, but these sites can double their security by having the display name different than the log on name. A lot of sites do this. If I was a hacker I'd go on LBC, see who's actively trading and try to hack from there. Half the work is already done.

Skrilla777
    Skrilla777's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 893

I don't know if its the same as 2-factor, but someone told me with localbitcoin you have to print a paper with a bunch of random passwords when you first sign up, so it's different everytime you log in.

astro61200
    astro61200's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Never used bitcoin, but if you do a lot of transactions on public wifi then I would suggest setting your phone up to tether. This way if you need to do something on your computer in public you can just log on to your phone's wifi connection instead. This should provide ample security as you can set up a personal password and use the same security that your router uses. Then, in the odd event someone somehow joins your network, you would have a record of their MAC address, which could be relayed to law enforcement in the case of theft.

Johnnythunder
    Johnnythunder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 857

whats 2 factor? I have a blockchain account...what do i need to do to make it safer?

raiders72001

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnythunder View Post
    whats 2 factor? I have a blockchain account...what do i need to do to make it safer?
    Go to "account settings" and then "security". I have it set up so that I get a text message and have to enter that code along with a password to get into my account.

raiders72001

You can even set up IP restrictions.

thespeculator

Finally got some answers. It appears it was a phishing site that someone used . Feel like moron, live and learn

RonPaul2008
    Update your status
    RonPaul2008's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 243569

Finally got some answers. It appears it was a phishing site that someone used . Feel like moron, live and learn
    What do you mean? Can you explain in more detail?

Art Vandeleigh
    Art Vandeleigh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

Do you mean it had nothing to do with this public wifi situation?

thespeculator

They told phishing sites are fake sites with similar spellings. If you don't notice ,and enter your user name and password, then the scammers have it. Type in localbtcoins and you will see what I mean. This is a scam site , if you miss spell and don' t notice the security drawings are not there then they got you

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

its why bitcoin will never be big

we saw a perfect example in this thread

thespeculator

they now have a feature , if you login in from a different computer then the one you registered with , you have to enter security code. I wish that was there when it happened to me. I have now activated every security feature possible. Only problem now , i had open new account and other traders treat me like a newbie

sbrlemon
    loser
    sbrlemon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1357

this is the original site
    this is the fake site

thespeculator

Quote Originally Posted by sbrlemon View Post
    this is the original site
    this is the fake site
    correct, but bitcoins are like cash once they are gone they are gone.

I was on Ipad , so there was no https. I am always on alert for this with banking.

muldoon
    muldoon's Avatar Become A Pro!

they now have a feature , if you login in from a different computer then the one you registered with , you have to enter security code. I wish that was there when it happened to me. I have now activated every security feature possible. Only problem now , i had open new account and other traders treat me like a newbie
    When did you open your account? The feature you're talking about is called login guard and it's been around since I opened my account almost 2 years ago.

muldoon

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    its why bitcoin will never be big

we saw a perfect example in this thread
    Because someone wasn't paying attention and got phished?

Yeah, no banks or financial institutions have to deal with phishing.

thespeculator

Quote Originally Posted by muldoon View Post
    When did you open your account? The feature you're talking about is called login guard and it's been around since I opened my account almost 2 years ago.
    Over a year ago I opned my account. I didn't start thread for sympathy, just a heads up . Now I know better and am ready to get back in

sbrlemon
    loser
    sbrlemon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1357

yes, have to be careful

muldoon

Over a year ago I opned my account. I didn't start thread for sympathy, just a heads up . Now I know better and am ready to get back in
    What did customer service there do wrong?