jerbol
    jerbol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

Sports betting in Illinois?

I know illinois has a law prohibiting placing bets online. I was not aware of this and thought it was a legal grey area when using off shore betting sites. However Illinois has specific wording and seems to apply to the bettor not just the site. How much risk is there for someone who is or has taken part in online gambling (sports betting) in the state of Illinois .

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9181

Quote Originally Posted by jerbol View Post
    I know illinois has a law prohibiting placing bets online. I was not aware of this and thought it was a legal grey area when using off shore betting sites. However Illinois has specific wording and seems to apply to the bettor not just the site. How much risk is there for someone who is or has taken part in online gambling (sports betting) in the state of Illinois .
    What's the specific wording you are talking about?

Illinois has been working on a bill about online gambling for a few years. Hearings were adjourned indefinitely on 13th January this year. I doubt anyone can tell you what is going to happen for sure at this stage.

jerbol
    jerbol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

Article 28 under 720 of the ILCS, online sports gambling is technically a crime. Subsections 11 and 12 have made it so that placing a bet on odds over the Internet is prohibited. Subsection 11 says that the transmittal of information about wagers or betting odds is not allowed. Subsection 12 states that it is a crime to operate an Internet site that allows players to wager on sports or events.