the_situation
    the_situation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6309

Quote Originally Posted by icon View Post
    Finite, not really, scarce also not really as a fork creates another 21+ million "coins", plus bitcoin could possibly be replaced by a superior product which makes the scarcity a non issue.

Lots of things are scarce and worthless. Scarcity doesn't automatically equal value.
    Finite - Yes, there is a limited supply of Bitcoin and this cannot be altered.
    Scarce - Again, there is a fixed supply unlike FIAT which can be printed to an unlimited supply.
    Fork - Forks are not Bitcoin. They are shitcoins like Bitcoin Cash and Bitcoin SV. Not the same.
    Replaced by a superior product - Unlikely as Bitcoin code can be altered to match and it has first mover advantage.

Bitcoin is obviously not worthless as people are willing to pay 12K USD for it.

icon
    icon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6518

Quote Originally Posted by the_situation View Post
    Finite - Yes, there is a limited supply of Bitcoin and this cannot be altered.
    Scarce - Again, there is a fixed supply unlike FIAT which can be printed to an unlimited supply.
    Fork - Forks are not Bitcoin. They are shitcoins like Bitcoin Cash and Bitcoin SV. Not the same.
    Replaced by a superior product - Unlikely as Bitcoin code can be altered to match and it has first mover advantage.

Bitcoin is obviously not worthless as people are willing to pay 12K USD for it.
    In reality its not scarce because it can be divided into billionths of a bitcoin. And yes forks create more coins, only the future knows if they will be used or not - todays shitcoins might be tomorrows gold, who knows

Taking the other side, what if scarcity deters its use? If people are unable to obtain bitcoin to use do you think that will make it more valuable or less? Personally speaking if bitcoin isn't easy to acquire/spend/ or cashout with I'll stop using it. If the hassles outweigh its usefulness many will also leave.

My thinking on bitcoin is that people haven't thought of many scenarios that could affect bitcoins value or use in the future, the thinking generally seems to be bitcoin is good/great and always will be because nothing can halt its progress. I'm saying things always change and bitcoin is no exception.
    Last edited by icon; 06-29-19 at 05:34 PM.

thomorino
    thomorino's Avatar Become A Pro!

If you look at the number of bitcoin transactions compared to the price movement there is no significant correlation between price movement and supply/demand. Even fiat currencies can be priced based on economic data, bitcoin is priced primarily based on capital flow, that's it.

icon

Quote Originally Posted by thomorino View Post
    If you look at the number of bitcoin transactions compared to the price movement there is no significant correlation between price movement and supply/demand. Even fiat currencies can be priced based on economic data, bitcoin is priced primarily based on capital flow, that's it.
    From what I've read they say that most of the bitcoins in circulation haven't been used and are just sitting in wallets somewhere meaning most of the trading/use is being done by a small portion of the bitcoins available.

I have seen for myself on the blockchain that there are wallets out there with thousands of unspent bitcoins and are sitting idle.

I also wonder how lost coins, dust etc will affect bitcoin as time goes by. The number of lost coins and dust created can only get larger. This can't be good for bitcoin overall.

TimOss
    TimOss's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

I really think Bitcoin price will hit 30K USD before the end of this year. I will certainly hold some BTC for a long time

icon

Quote Originally Posted by TimOss View Post
    I really think Bitcoin price will hit 30K USD before the end of this year. I will certainly hold some BTC for a long time
    I really think it won't hit $30k this year. One of us will be correct.

icon

Its at $12K right now and people believe it will increase an additional 150% by years end but with no reason as to why.

shocka1212
    [Too Long]
    shocka1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3355

Quote Originally Posted by delboy9009 View Post
    Get your money out asap is what I say
    good call asshole
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ChuckyTheGoat

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

shocka , dont hold back

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Nobody knows anything

Optional
    Optional's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9201

Good post. Also, bitcoin enthusiasts (that are not sports bettors) really want to believe that bitcoin will replace fiat. I doubt anyone here would have any use for bitcoin if it couldn't be converted to dollars/euros etc. So the whole "bitcoin is better than fiat" argument is a dud.
    Do you think an electronic currency will replace a hard printed currency as the preferred payment method one day?

If so, that's crypto replacing fiat.

I'm close to certain that will happen in our lifetime.

TheLock
    TheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7931

Quote Originally Posted by TheLock View Post
    Love Coinbase.
    Still love Coinbase 4 years later.

This thread is amazing. I forgot about it. Thanks for bumping.

icon

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    Do you think an electronic currency will replace a hard printed currency as the preferred payment method one day?

If so, that's crypto replacing fiat.

I'm close to certain that will happen in our lifetime.
    You're saying crypto, I'm saying bitcoin specifically. People are not hyping "crypto" in general right now and making price predictions of $20k or higher for crypto they are talking very specifically about bitcoin.

Do I think BITCOIN will replace a hard printed currency as the preferred payment method one day?
    NO!! and definitely not in my lifetime. Do I believe crypto will become widely used as a fiat alternative one day, yes.

The main reason I don't believe it will be bitcoin is because there is likely some future event or tech that will cause people to lose trust/confidence in bitcoin. So many possibilities really. Without confidence bitcoin would not hold much value. Right now confidence is high among the small percentage of people worldwide that use it.
    Last edited by icon; 06-30-19 at 06:39 AM.

lonnie55
    lonnie55's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12267

The main reason I don't believe it will be bitcoin is because there is likely some future event or tech that will cause people to lose trust/confidence in bitcoin.
    My two cents: There will be a big financial crisis in the near future, probably within the next 5 years. A crisis much bigger than 2008 with impacts on the worldwide economy no one can imagine. During this crisis there will be an overwhelming loss of confidence in fiat money and if only a fraction of the worldwide available capital goes into Bitcoin (and Altcoins) it will skyrocket.

At the long end I'd agree to you and say one day Bitcoin could go to somewhere near zero just because there will be other cryptocurrencies, regulated and non-regulated ones, that will replace Bitcoin.

Optional

You're saying crypto, I'm saying bitcoin specifically. People are not hyping "crypto" in general right now and making price predictions of $20k or higher for crypto they are talking very specifically about bitcoin.

Do I think BITCOIN will replace a hard printed currency as the preferred payment method one day?
    NO!! and definitely not in my lifetime. Do I believe crypto will become widely used as a fiat alternative one day, yes.

The main reason I don't believe it will be bitcoin is because there is likely some future event or tech that will cause people to lose trust/confidence in bitcoin. So many possibilities really. Without confidence bitcoin would not hold much value. Right now confidence is high among the small percentage of people worldwide that use it.
    Oh I guess you're right. Although I could see Bitcoin itself ending up as the underlying value behind a universal currency, as one potential outcome.

(I bet that thought gives the HODLers a chubby)

clockwise1965
    clockwise1965's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18366

Huge difference between Bitcoin and crypto.

firekillex
    firekillex's Avatar Become A Pro!

this didnt age well...
    tough when people on forums talk about stuff they have 0 clue about and just make bold statements

basically like first take on ESPN but crypto version

icon

Oh I guess you're right. Although I could see Bitcoin itself ending up as the underlying value behind a universal currency, as one potential outcome.

(I bet that thought gives the HODLers a chubby)
    I think we are mostly agreeing. I have no doubt crypto is here to stay but bitcoin is just the beginning.

Optional

I think we are mostly agreeing. I have no doubt crypto is here to stay but bitcoin is just the beginning.
    Probably smarter to bet on US Dollars being worth nothing before bitcoin come to think!

Although I guess they will always have some sort of collectible value whatever happens. So zero isn't possible there.

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6410

Probably smarter to bet on US Dollars being worth nothing before bitcoin come to think!

Although I guess they will always have some sort of collectible value whatever happens. So zero isn't possible there.

Not too sure about that Opti, there's value in being able to print more whenever the urge strikes

jose21_us
    The Miami Connection
    jose21_us's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11236

Quote Originally Posted by TheLock View Post
    Still love Coinbase 4 years later.

This thread is amazing. I forgot about it. Thanks for bumping.
    Fuk coinbase those fuckers locked my account for over a year and couldn’t tell me why only they were working in restoring it. Of course when they did restore everything had dropped from when BTC had reached 20k

TheLock
    TheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7931

Quote Originally Posted by jose21_us View Post
    Fuk coinbase those fuckers locked my account for over a year and couldn’t tell me why only they were working in restoring it. Of course when they did restore everything had dropped from when BTC had reached 20k

Wow that’s brutal. Sorry to hear that. Do you have any screen shots you can share of the locked account?

What did they say when you called them?

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1884

Every single one of us on this forum should have bet on Bitcoin and get rich. I was too blind to see what Bitcoin is. This price was amazing.

SimpleJack
    SimpleJack's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 220

Quote Originally Posted by GunShard View Post
    Every single one of us on this forum should have bet on Bitcoin and get rich. I was too blind to see what Bitcoin is. This price was amazing.
    Time machines are cool no doubt. I'd throw in some weekly options on the airlines just before the pandemic too.

DroopyDog
    DroopyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2078

Quote Originally Posted by biggie12 View Post
    LOLOLOL thats all i gotta say.

people were laughing when i bought facebook stock on opening day saying it was stupid move, now some of these same guys are sinking along with their bitcoins.
    Biggie always sharp

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47610

Interesting to read the comments/opinions from years ago
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Sam Odom

Sam Odom

Quote Originally Posted by sweep View Post

197 24 hrs later....bend over sam odom

18,900 6 yrs later

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24793

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    All I do is to tell players is to be careful with it
    Go back and read this guy's posts:

1) JJ, are u a chef? All u do is a waffle.

2) When JJ elicits an opinion, he is wrong almost all the time. It's uncanny.

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 53

Ill never forget poster BOONDOGGLE telling everyone to get in on bitcoin here and at the sbr poker tables

It was around $22

I really fukked up not listening to that guy and any time a thread like this gets bumped I always mention him

I hope he is living like a king
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: secretstash

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13152

Definitely fukked up on bitcoin.

BarkingToad
    BarkingToad's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19315

Bag holders, ponzi scheme, idiots, bankrupt, won't be around, etc

Sam Odom

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post

Definitely fukked up on bitcoin.

Sammy remembers you & elgreco fighting it out

Mike Huntertz
    Mike Huntertz's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22632

I got in late at $1000, but not a large enough investment.
    Sold half and paid my mortgage for a year, that's nice.

lonnie55
    lonnie55's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12267

First ... 23456 Last