chance
    chance's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 833

Betfair Premium Charge Question

Does anyone know what time the week starts and finishes for this calculation.

Is it Midnight GMT? Is it the same as the BetFair points week start/finish?

How stupid to be having to worry about this?

Betdaq are starting to get their act together. Thank God. Hopefully this may mean Betfair will re think the premium charge

Dunder
    Dunder's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yes, it is calculated on activity from Monday 0000 to Sunday 2359 (UK time) and deducted from your account on Wednesday.

Just as a heads up they will normally waive it, if it is the first time you are liable.

chance

Thank you Dunber.

Do you know what "Other Charges" refers too on the personal weekly Premuim Charge Guide.

Stumpage
    Update your status
    Stumpage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13652

Yeah, Dunder's spot on, chance. You recieve a bit of a "grace period" for the first $1,000 that you can be charged on, but then you're fair game.

The link below will allow you to see where you stand in terms of your Premium situation. It is updated every Tuesday morning:

https://account.betfair.com/regpay-m...e/summary.html

Dunder

Quote Originally Posted by chance View Post
    Thank you Dunber.

Do you know what "Other Charges" refers too on the personal weekly Premuim Charge Guide.
    AFAIK the only item that would appear in "other charges" are data access charges.
    You would only be liable for these if you are requesting data 10 times per second or more.

BrianLaverty
    BrianLaverty's Avatar Become A Pro!

don't play at betfair since im not euro... but can anyone explain what this is?

chance

Betfair Premium Charge is basically a 20% weekly tax on your winnings. Long term winners get stung!!!!

Dunder

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLaverty View Post
    don't play at betfair since im not euro... but can anyone explain what this is?
    To cut a long story short, the Premium Charge ensures that you pay at least 20% of your gross profits to Betfair over the lifetime of the account.

It primarily affects traders/market makers. There are some allowances against it but it is essentially a tax on success which Betfair has managed to get away with due to its strong market position.

trumpdown
    trumpdown's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 548

So is this how Euro punters get taxed? I like how an exchange can make their own tax bracket. Nice for them to be a monopoly. Do you think if Matchbook had other currency to play in, more Euro's would join?

Dunder

Quote Originally Posted by trumpdown View Post
    So is this how Euro punters get taxed? I like how an exchange can make their own tax bracket. Nice for them to be a monopoly. Do you think if Matchbook had other currency to play in, more Euro's would join?
    These was another thread where a few Europeans mentioned that they would join Matchbook if the had EUR/GBP accounts, but I doubt it would make a significant difference TBH.

Even though I donīt like the Premium Charge, I do understand the concept (bear in mind that very few regular bettors will ever pay it - it is very much aimed at traders). I do however, hate the complexity of the calculations. I spend waaaaay too much time plotting ways to reduce my exposure to it.

SPECULATOR 13
    SPECULATOR 13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Quote Originally Posted by chance View Post

Betdaq are starting to get their act together. Thank God.
    Chance, i am not contradicting what you are saying in anyway,shape or form,i am just wondering old chum why or what make you think they have?
    I am preparing as early as now my return to serious sports speculation for next September by allying all my "ducks in a row".
    And the most important aspect of that preparation is to find a couple of Xchanges/books to complement matchbook asap.I am sickened by the thought of having to deal with these betfair f.ck faces but what can one do if Betmaker or betphoenix cannot get off the ground.Betdaq must,i repeat must accept and cater too U.S. action,otherwise they will fail.

Jontheman
    Jontheman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4073

Sorry to disagee there Speculator. USA is one of the most diffucult markets to service with the legal risks and the high costs of transactions using archaic funding methods. To an exchange whose main offering is soccer and who is used to players funding instantly and cheaply through debit cards they are an irrelevant backwater.

chance

The big enhancement Betdaq has done in the last month is to remove all fees for moneybookers and Neteller. No fees depositing and withdrawing equals increased liquidity. Very significant step.

Betfair better watch out. If they don't get rid of the Premium charge they risk their entire market position.