RavensFan2k3
    Handicappin' like I'm Trappin'
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18704

Bank not accepting check?

Has anyone had trouble depositing a payout check recently? They said because its a foreign check, although Ive never had trouble before, last time being over a year ago tho. They mentioned something about going into collections and taking up to 6-12 weeks for me to receive the funds! Whats going on here??? Im in the US btw, and the check is from Canada. Help!

dirtdog52658
    dirtdog52658's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2235

Get a new bank, I've heard of two weeks but not 6-12.

relaaxx
    relaaxx's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13704

i've waiting 2 or 3 weeks and paid $25 and $30 fees. go to another bank. it will be free and in your account in a day.

RavensFan2k3

So what bank should I go to? And how do I kno it wont happen there too?

dfish
    Sea Pines
    dfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 181

ATM

RavensFan2k3

Quote Originally Posted by dfish View Post
    ATM
    Doesnt read the check

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

US banks cracking down with foreign routing numbers... EX: Canada.

It's all in who you know at the bank you're cashing it. Anything with a Canada routing will not work in the ATM or Mobile Deposit with your Android phone. Must be deposited using a teller.

If a chk is under $2,500 and you know that the routing number is US based... you can deposit using your ATM or Mobile Deposit with your Android phone.

Majority of these cks are now from Canada though.

I agree it's getting to be a pain in the ass. Bank questioning everything now.

RavensFan2k3

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    US banks cracking down with foreign routing numbers... EX: Canada.

It's all in who you know at the bank you're cashing it. Anything with a Canada routing will not work in the ATM or Mobile Deposit with your Android phone. Must be deposited using a teller.

If a chk is under $2,500 and you know that the routing number is US based... you can deposit using your ATM or Mobile Deposit with your Android phone.

Majority of these cks are now from Canada though.

I agree it's getting to be a pain in the ass. Bank questioning everything now.
    So what do I do?

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse
    NunyaBidness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4507

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3 View Post
    So what do I do?
    Get an account with a smallish local bank or credit union, deposit inside.

pattymayo
    pattymayo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 159

why even bother with a check, considering some of the other withdrawal methods available?

TheMoneyShot

So what do I do?
    You need to talk with the branch manager and/or regular teller. Just let them put a 5 day business hold on it. Assure them the funds are good. That's all you can do. All the bank cares about is getting burned on a non-payment of a chk. They could careless why or how you acquired the funds.

RavensFan2k3

Quote Originally Posted by pattymayo View Post
    why even bother with a check, considering some of the other withdrawal methods available?
    Because of the amount...I use the other withdrawal methods aswell

RavensFan2k3

You need to talk with the branch manager and/or regular teller. Just let them put a 5 day business hold on it. Assure them the funds are good. That's all you can do. All the bank cares about is getting burned on a non-payment of a chk. They could careless why or how you acquired the funds.
    I understand that...but they wouldnt accept the check. If it were an issue of a 5 day hold, that would be fine and I wouldnt be in this situation.

Like I said they mentioned the check going to collections where they would have to verify the check and it would take some time, they said much longer than the 5 days you said. Is this what you were refering to and it actually takes much less time than they told me?

Zeus54
    Zeus54's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 490

Has anyone had trouble depositing a payout check recently? They said because its a foreign check, although Ive never had trouble before, last time being over a year ago tho. They mentioned something about going into collections and taking up to 6-12 weeks for me to receive the funds! Whats going on here??? Im in the US btw, and the check is from Canada. Help!
    What bank are you using? That's a joke. I got a payout in February via Canadian check and had no problems depositing it through a teller. Money was in my checking next morning.

temple2010
    temple2010's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4189

Go to BkofAma. Never an issue with them and it clears in a couple days and zero fees. These scumbag banks (most) are making millions, pay you zero interest, make money off your money, and now they charge you to make a deposit to their bank- lol

TheMoneyShot

I understand that...but they wouldnt accept the check. If it were an issue of a 5 day hold, that would be fine and I wouldnt be in this situation.

Like I said they mentioned the check going to collections where they would have to verify the check and it would take some time, they said much longer than the 5 days you said. Is this what you were refering to and it actually takes much less time than they told me?
    The truth of the matter... a check from CAN to US can get verified within 2 business days. Banks put a CHK on hold for 5 business days as an extra precaution. It's just baking terminology mumbo jumbo garbage. The other garbage your bank is saying... about 15 days hold etc is just to see your reaction. If I was in your shoes I'd close my acct immediately. I'm not going to be disrespected by any bank. But if you've had bounce cks before... or you've been in the RED... then of course it doesn't make you look good. I don't know your personal baking situation or relations with said bank. You can open up any new free chking acct at any new bank with that chk in your hands. Just tell them you get paid quarterly on dividends and that's your chk. You invest funds and you have e-accts that pay you. It's all in the teller you run into.

One time I had an issue with a chk just like yours... and I told the teller... why do people come into a bank for? She goes... excuse me? I said I have a question for you... Why do people come into banks for? She goes to make deposits or cash chks. I said very good. Let's cut down the questioning... and cash this thing. That's your job. That's why we have banks in America. You don't want my business? I will go elsewhere.

Sometimes you have to set people straight. It shouldn't take 5-10 minutes to cash cks anymore. Ridiculous. But... you're the one that has to put your foot down. Otherwise you won't get results.

RavensFan2k3

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus54 View Post
    What bank are you using? That's a joke. I got a payout in February via Canadian check and had no problems depositing it through a teller. Money was in my checking next morning.
    im with BkofAma. Like I said I've I had no problems before, but now theres an issue

Quote Originally Posted by temple2010 View Post
    Go to BkofAma. Never an issue with them and it clears in a couple days and zero fees. These scumbag banks (most) are making millions, pay you zero interest, make money off your money, and now they charge you to make a deposit to their bank- lol
    I am with BkofAma

The truth of the matter... a check from CAN to US can get verified within 2 business days. Banks put a CHK on hold for 5 business days as an extra precaution. It's just baking terminology mumbo jumbo garbage. The other garbage your bank is saying... about 15 days hold etc is just to see your reaction. If I was in your shoes I'd close my acct immediately. I'm not going to be disrespected by any bank. But if you've had bounce cks before... or you've been in the RED... then of course it doesn't make you look good. I don't know your personal baking situation or relations with said bank. You can open up any new free chking acct at any new bank with that chk in your hands. Just tell them you get paid quarterly on dividends and that's your chk. You invest funds and you have e-accts that pay you. It's all in the teller you run into.

One time I had an issue with a chk just like yours... and I told the teller... why do people come into a bank for? She goes... excuse me? I said I have a question for you... Why do people come into banks for? She goes to make deposits or cash chks. I said very good. Let's cut down the questioning... and cash this thing. That's your job. That's why we have banks in America. You don't want my business? I will go elsewhere.

Sometimes you have to set people straight. It shouldn't take 5-10 minutes to cash cks anymore. Ridiculous. But... you're the one that has to put your foot down. Otherwise you won't get results.
    Thanks for the advice man. Im going to go in there one more time and see what happens

RavensFan2k3

You guys keep saying 5 days or 2 weeks. Every bank I went to told me 6-8 weeks, one even saying 3 months. Are they just talking out of their ass and it'll come sooner? One of the tellers mentioned that a certain type of canadian check gets held for 5 days, but this one has to go through a clearing house which takes much longer

relaaxx
    relaaxx's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13704

Quote Originally Posted by temple2010 View Post
    same --- bofa

Scooter
    Scooter's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2064

Go to a different branch of BofA. The attitude can vary, within the same town/area. Depends often on manager/teller.