NYSportsGuy210
    NYSportsGuy210's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

Wall Street Firm Cantor Fitzgerald Uses Algorithmns to Make Sports Betting like.....

...stock betting. Everyone knows now for the last 5 years prices in the stock market moves due to the buying, shorting and selling of large volume units of stocks by computer generated orders run by algorithmns that investment companies have made to execute buy and sell orders in milliseconds.

Well one investment firm, Cantor Fitzgerald, has decided to take that algorithmn model to the betting world to determine lines and odds for real-time or LIVE betting on almost every single kind of sporting scenario possible for all sports.

This article below goes into some interesting and good detail about the matter:

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/11/ff_midas/

It's about 5 pages long but a good read. Again the name of the game is getting a ton of people to bet on both sides of a line about as evenly as possible and getting them to bet a lot so the bookies make the money on the vig. The more volume....the more vig and thus long-term profit for the books.

NYSportsGuy210

Personally I wish I could learn how to accurately create algorithmns to assess the odds of what humans in real life do (ie -What will J.J. Hardy do in his next plate appearance?)

Not really sure how accurately a computer can forecast these scenarios given the unpredicatable nature of sports.

Fishhead
    Fishhead's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11769

40 cent lines or more with many of their in-game props..............................
    Points Awarded:

flyingillini gave Fishhead 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

CappinTerp
    CappinTerp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

Wow that is something.! Berine Cantor is rolling in his grave.! I use to work there many,many years ago. Did you know that there was no Fitzgerald.! ?? He did not want to call it just Cantor, because he thought that it would be bad for biz. So he added the fictitious Fitzgerald to the company name. He had a lot of art by Rodin in a lobby...most may know of the "thinker"...........a lot lost when the friggin sand monkeys brought the towers down.

Fishhead
    Fishhead's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11769

In his new book, “The Outsider,” Jimmy Connors reveals that he had a serious gambling problem that led him to once bet $1 million that he would beat Martina Navratilova in their 1993 Battle of the Sexes match in Las Vegas. Connors bet that he would win in straight sets and lose no more than eight games.“Betting on myself was the ultimate gambler’s high,” he wrote. “I was out of control and I didn’t realize it, though that bet should have been a big-assed hint.”
    The rules of the match gave Connors just one serve and Navratilova use of half the doubles alley. Connors quickly found himself down 1-3.
    Connors said that Bobby Riggs—who played in the first Battle of the Sexes match against Billie Jean King, and who was there watching him play Navratilova—also laid down a large bet, and during the fifth game appeared to be having a heart attack.
    Connors said that once he began to turn the match around, “Riggs began to calm down and his breathing returns to normal.” Connors ended up winning the match 7-5, 6-2 and won the bet.
    Connors also criticizes Andre Agassi, who had taken shots at Connors in his autobiography, “Open.”
    “Tennis gave Agassi everything—his fame, his money, his reputation, even his current wife—and he went on to knock it in his book. All that playing up to the fans who provided him with an exceptional living—it was a bluff. For me tennis was all about standing out there and being honest, not pretending to be something I wasn’t. People admire Agassi for fighting his way back after dropping down the rankings in 1997. I get that. But you can also look at it like this. He should have never allowed himself to sink so low. He had a huge talent but when things got tough for a while, he put his head in his hands and let it beat him.”
    Connors added that when Agassi walked into the U.S. Open locker room after his last match as a pro in 2006 (Connors was there, coaching Andy Roddick), everyone clapped for Agassi except for himself. “I wasn’t trying to deliberately disrespect him, I just didn’t care about him and he did affect my life in any way,” he wrote.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: RyanLeafOfBets

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

I heard that Connors book spills a lotta dirt on that generation of players

Can't wait to read even though its a total cash grab by jimmy c

NYSportsGuy210

I bet Ivan Lendl was a degenerate gambler. But in all seriousness.....the topic of this trhead isn't former tennis players terrible gambling habits.

Anyone know anything about algortihmns and what basic types are used to predict certain sports odds?

CappinTerp
    CappinTerp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

Quote Originally Posted by NYSportsGuy210 View Post
    I bet Ivan Lendl was a degenerate gambler. But in all seriousness.....the topic of this trhead isn't former tennis players terrible gambling habits.

Anyone know anything about algortihmns and what basic types are used to predict certain sports odds?
    My buddy said a easy to understand book(must have good math/computer skills) is: Introduction to Algorithms by Thomas H. Cormen.............gl

byronbb
    byronbb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2284

The book "Trading Bases" touches on the subject but only vaguely. The author, a Wall-Street trader for the huge investment banks, thinks Vegas goes about dealing sports the wrong way and should look to cater to two way sharp action.

HeeeHAWWWW
    HeeeHAWWWW's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

Quote Originally Posted by byronbb View Post
    The book "Trading Bases" touches on the subject but only vaguely. The author, a Wall-Street trader for the huge investment banks, thinks Vegas goes about dealing sports the wrong way and should look to cater to two way sharp action.
    Easier said than done (as proven by the fact only three books globally have succeeded with that model).

LVHerbie
    LVHerbie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1973

Quote Originally Posted by byronbb View Post
    If you are getting two groups to bet both sides of a juiced proposition at least one of them isn't sharp.