pergel
    pergel's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Marketmakers, oddsmakers for different sports

Hello,
    I´m looking for an terminological advice. I thought that marketmaker is always the one who facilitate trade, connects sellers and buyers - in betting industry the bookmaker. I was told that it is not neccessary true.

Who is the marketmaker in the eyes of bookies? And are there differences for various sports (for example floorball and handball)?

Who is the marketmaker and who is the oddsmaker specifically for US sports?

Thank you very much!

pergel
    pergel's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

I really need these answers. Who in the bookmakers point of view is the marketmaker?

JoeyBagels
    JoeyBagels's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4500

Well you have exchanges (matchbook & betfair) that act as market makers and take a commission.

What I think you mean is lines maker? I don't know the operation of books but usually Pinnacle/BM open most US sports numbers and SBO/other asians books for soccer They limit openers to sharpen lines before raising limits afterwards. As to who sets openers I think they employ handicappers in house(consultants) but at one time Roxy Roxborough and Las Vegas Sports consultants set the lines used by most books until they moved offshore.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: pergel