AimingHigh
    AimingHigh's Avatar Become A Pro!

Euro-thread: Ladbrokes bought Betdaq Exchange!

Dear Aiming,

Ladbrokes plc, one of the world’s leading betting and gaming companies, has today (24th January 2013) agreed to acquire the BETDAQ exchange business. The transaction is subject to certain conditions and is expected to complete in late February 2013.

What does this mean for you, our valued members?

Whilst ensuring that the integrity of the exchange is fully protected, we believe that combining the strengths of Ladbrokes with the expertise of BETDAQ will have a hugely positive impact on the betting experience for our customers.

On completion, Ladbrokes will work with BETDAQ to further enhance the competitiveness of the exchange, focusing initially on growing liquidity and event coverage, as well as expanding the range and depth of markets offered.

How to access the website and how to contact us will stay the same, and we will continue to offer our great low commission rates and promotions. We will of course keep you informed of when any key developments or enhancements that may affect you are likely to happen.

Our ultimate ambition is to bring all the great elements of Ladbrokes and BETDAQ together and create an unrivalled betting experience for all our members.

The BETDAQ Team

Surprise to me. Wonder what that means for the likelihood of a genuine rival for Betfair in the exchange business. Anyone care to speculate?

filipinho
    filipinho's Avatar Become A Pro!

From today Betdaq will be the only exchange that limits players.Kidding of course.

I hope this will somehow improve both companies.

brettels
    brettels's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16

Now this is interesting. I've always wanted to see betdaq compete with betfair!

Not sure if ladbrokes are the right company to get involved and make it better though!

chachi
    Lazy Git
    chachi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

if anything I think it's a plus for Betfair ...

after all Betdaq could have been acquired by a new competent team with a strategic plan, or merged with SMarkets even, instead of Ladbrokes taking the reins

lot of unhappy arbers I bet, either shuddering at the thought of Lads having account details to cross-reference against, potentially data-mining and comparing markets/times/prices/executions against suspect accounts, and in theory now being able to always ensure the booking side of things stays under the exchange price levels at all times from now on

kkkkk
    kkkkk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16066

Quote Originally Posted by filipinho View Post
    From today Betdaq will be the only exchange that limits players.Kidding of course.

wrong. smarkets already did that first!

filipinho

Quote Originally Posted by kkkkk View Post
    wrong. smarkets already did that first!
    Well, if you mean "kicked player", then Betfair probably did it first...

HeeeHAWWWW
    HeeeHAWWWW's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

Quote Originally Posted by chachi View Post
    if anything I think it's a plus for Betfair ...

after all Betdaq could have been acquired by a new competent team with a strategic plan, or merged with SMarkets even, instead of Ladbrokes taking the reins

lot of unhappy arbers I bet, either shuddering at the thought of Lads having account details to cross-reference against, potentially data-mining and comparing markets/times/prices/executions against suspect accounts, and in theory now being able to always ensure the booking side of things stays under the exchange price levels at all times from now on
    Dunno what Ladbrokes are up to, but sharpening account management won't be it - they're pretty quick to ban anyone betting value, like all UK books.

Santo
    Santo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

The twitter consensus seems to be it was done as a favor to Desmond

sharlataans
    sharlataans's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2614

This cannot be good news. Owners probably realized they cannot achieve good growth. I predict at least 2 years stagnation for Betdaq.

filipinho

Quote Originally Posted by sharlataans View Post
    Owners probably realized they cannot achieve good growth. I predict at least 2 years stagnation for Betdaq.
    But then on the other side new owners think they can achieve good growth.

Probably Ladbrokes have some improvements in mind, maybe more aggressive marketing, promotions or even offering their own prices on exchange(of course with some kind of protection other then limiting sharps).

caveira
    caveira's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1004

kkkkkkkkkkk I hope they don't ask for premium charges like Betfair...

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Ladbrokes have a huge task ahead of them. Maybe improving the American market may help, cos Betfair are lacking in that area.

byronbb
    byronbb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2284

It will allow them to layoff without having to do it on betfair and get thumped with premium charge.

SportsMushroom
    SportsMushroom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6839

ladbrokes is a solid company

they have what it takes to make a product to compete with betfair, which can only be good for bettors

HeeeHAWWWW
    HeeeHAWWWW's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

Maybe it's a gamble the US market will open up to some degree? If so, having an exchange product already running is probably a good idea. Also perhaps a hedge of sorts against exchanges coming to dominate the betting market in future.

SportsMushroom
    SportsMushroom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6839

Quote Originally Posted by HeeeHAWWWW View Post
    Maybe it's a gamble the US market will open up to some degree? If so, having an exchange product already running is probably a good idea. Also perhaps a hedge of sorts against exchanges coming to dominate the betting market in future.

probably a move to compete with betfair rather than enter the US market

online gambling will not be legalised in the US anytime soon, and in the meantime ladbrokes will not keep betdaq operating illegaly in the US

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!

Hoping for something good from this.

brettels

So I went to betdaq site and I get this message!

Dear Visitor
    Due to legal and regulatory restrictions, we are currently prohibited from offering the Betdaq site and services to your jurisdiction.
    If you believe you have received this message in error please contact our Customer Service helpdesk at helpdesk@betdaq.com
    Betdaq Customer Services

Australians could play there as far as i know, it's been years since i have. Just wanted to see if there was any visible changes. Can't even look at the site, what a joke.

brettels

Is there really nothing for anyone to add here ?

kkkkk

betdaq and ladbrokes are not very popular here, neither that much in Europe, so its hard to imagine someone had experience with both - that would be one in 1000 maybe.

brettels

Where is here?

Santo
    Santo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Quote Originally Posted by brettels View Post
    Is there really nothing for anyone to add here ?
    Ladbrokes closed Australian based accounts a while back, whilst BetDaq did so more recently in what was seen as a precursor of this takeover..

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!

When Ladbrokes do launch Betdaq, people who live in Australia will be able to access the site. If they decide not for that to happen, then they are stupid. And i hope the live betting is still available too. Cos phone betting is so fuking annoying.

brettels

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_of_Spades View Post
    When Ladbrokes do launch Betdaq, people who live in Australia will be able to access the site. If they decide not for that to happen, then they are stupid. And i hope the live betting is still available too. Cos phone betting is so fuking annoying.
    Considering they block Aussies at ladbrokes (so I've been told) then I highly doubt it

McFly86
    McFly86's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1971

I think they are hoping that Australia Gvt wil allow live betting in the near future, which I understand is 50/50 in the near future

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!

Quote Originally Posted by brettels View Post
    Considering they block Aussies at ladbrokes (so I've been told) then I highly doubt it
    They aren't competing with Betfair at all if they block Australians. A massive loss in revenue.

kkkkk

betfair lost more then 30 % of revenue in last months becose they closed few countries and if we add the other forbidden countries they might have lost over 50%. so you never know who will have more customers soon. the only problem of all competitors of betfair is the low range offer of events - betfair offers much more games and type of bets. i believe they dont have the resources to offer much more events or they are just stupid and dont realise the utility of that strategy!

brettels

If J7 were stille here he would if made an informative video regarding the take over and what it means for betdaq as well as the progression!

This is a good spot for sbr to add information on but there's nothing!

filipinho

Is there any changes since takeover, like liquidity, new markets or other features?

acw
    acw's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1564

My first thoughts too!