atiff
    atiff's Avatar Become A Pro!

New gamling law in Greece for all bookmakers

Hello all,i live in greece and i am from pakistan.I am placing bets in internet bookmakers.Today got some information that very soon greek government want to ban all the bookmakers and other gambling sites which is in iternet.If these bookmakers want work in greece they need to get license and pay very big taxes and also the players who win money in these books to pay big taxes to government.Today i got this email from betfair:

We regret to inform you that, as from Monday 3rd December 2012, we will no longer offer gaming and betting services to customers located in Greece. This is due to a decision by the greek Gaming Commission that includes provisions for financial penalties and criminal sanctions against gaming operators that continue to operate in the market. Our products will therefore be unavailable to customers located in Greece. This impacts all products across all platforms. Betfair will continue to work with the Remote Gambling Association (RGA) to lobby for legislation that allows fair competition in the Greek market.

What does this mean for customers located in Greece?

From approximately 11am GMT (1pm local Greek time) on 3 December 2012 customers in Greece will be unable to access any Betfair gaming and betting services. If you normally access the site from Greece and you hold positions on exchange markets then we encourage you to trade out as a matter of urgency prior to 3 December.

Bets on the exchange which have already been placed or fixed odds bets (e.g. Greek football champions 12/13) will be settled in the normal way once the result is known. After 3 December all bet placement functionality will be disabled. You will still have access to your account for purposes other than betting and gaming activity and your deposits are safe. This will allow you to make withdrawals from your account as usual for the time being.

If you have any further questions please refer to: Frequently Asked Questions.

Alternatively our helpdesk will be pleased to assist you. We’d like to ask for your patience when contacting them as they are expecting to receive a high volume of enquiries in the first few days. The best way to contact them is via email to hellas@betfair.com or our hotline: 80 1300 3230

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Best regards

Betfair Service Team
    Other bookmakers can also close their services.I also read that neteller and skrill wallets can become illeagal in greece or illeagal only to receive and deposit funds which is from gambling.As i understand the only one biggest offline Bookmaker in greece OPAP http://www.opap.gr/ wants that people played only their services,but they odds is the most weak i ever seen.Is there people from greece who have more information about this and can give it?I want to use internet bookmakers to bet on high odds,i will nerver use OPAP.

dealer wins
    dealer wins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11819

If its your main source of income move to another country, if not suck up the shit odds.

Its still a better situation than the USA (and much better than your country of birth LOL)

filipinho
    filipinho's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by dealer wins View Post
    If its your main source of income move to another country, if not suck up the shit odds.

Its still a better situation than the USA (and much better than your country of birth LOL)
    LOL, how can betting in only one national bookmaker with shitty odds (minimum 15% juice), be worst than in USA.

atiff
    atiff's Avatar Become A Pro!

The odds in OPAP are weak it is not possible to beat that bookie,you cannot play singles bet also.You must at least enter 3 accumulation bets.

For example that odds they give:

Under (2,5) 1,40 / Over (2,5) 2,20
    Goal / No Goal GOAL 1,85 / NO GOAL 1,60

Under (2,5) 1,75 / Over (2,5) 1,70
    Goal / No Goal GOAL 1,55 / NO GOAL 1,90

Under (2,5) 1,60 / Over (2,5) 1,85
    Under (2,5) 1,50 / Over (2,5) 2,00

gangeriver
    The Best Closer!
    gangeriver's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

atiff,
    same thing happend in my home country (Turkey) 10 years ago. Most major euro bookmakers started to reject Turkish customers. (betfair,pinny, big UK books willhill, ladbrokes and a few gilbatar books like bet365) but most euro books are still open for us. Also most off shore books already accept us. You know off shore books don't interested in where you live and how is your law (except usa)

After new rules we have a legal book for 10 years which is smilar with yours. You need at least 3 games parlay and lower odds because of the insane taxes. But who cares? We keep going....I think some of books will allow and accept Greeks...at least off-shore books and small malta books. Don't worry

benandjerry
    benandjerry's Avatar Become A Pro!

Greek govn need all the $$$ they can get... Not sure about the licensing part, but I dont believe they can legally charge taxes on winnings within the European Union. I do believe they'll be breaking EU ground laws, then again what does it matter if there are no decent enough books to bet with left...

Sawyer
    Sawyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6650

France, Germany and now Greece. I wonder which country is next..