OMGRandyJackson
    OMGRandyJackson's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4054

5dimes Requiring User name and Password for NON account questions?

I am interested in trying the 5 dimes NFL office pool. They have a tie breaker box at the end but no real explanation of what it is. I am assuming it is the total score (both teams points combined) for the monday night game, but you know what they say about assuming..

So I started a live chat session with 5 dimes. I entered my name, user ID and area of question. I asked the guy the question, he took about 5minutes before replying "can you verify your user ID and password please".

I understand that most books use this horrible practice of asking you for your password before they will help you, however in my experience I have only been asked this when dealing with account specific problems. Because this is a non account issue I felt uncomfortable giving him my password and told him, my account info is irrelevant as the question pertains to your site offerings not my account (its not like the odds or offerings change because of my account, this is a general question), to which he replied "for security reasons you must verify your account" to which I said no, and he said "okay, good luck" and ended the chat.

I guess there isnt really a question in here (unless someone can answer my tiebreaker question) and this is more of a rant, but wtf. I also find it funny that I was not asked to do a customer service satisfaction survey, knowing I probably wouldnt rate the chat session good...

skrtelfan
    skrtelfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3337

yeah a lot of books ask for the username and password for completely general questions that should be available on their website or whatever. not a good idea for security since the password should only be needed when absolutely necessary

King_Suckerman
    King_Suckerman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12903

That sort of thing pisses me off too Randy.

OMGRandyJackson
    OMGRandyJackson's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4054

Such bad policy, why do so many gamblers accept this?

TryingMyBest
    TryingMyBest's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 954

Quote Originally Posted by OMGRandyJackson View Post
    Such bad policy, why do so many gamblers accept this?
    I don't, I say, "why do you need my password to answer how often you can get a free payout". I called Bovada last week because of course they have no live chat to ask about whether you can get a free check every 30 days or every calendar month. The guy would not answer my question unless I told him my password. Finally I said, "I don't have an account, I'm thinking of joining, now can you answer it?" He answered it instantly.

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

Quote Originally Posted by TryingMyBest View Post
    I don't, I say, "why do you need my password to answer how often you can get a free payout". I called Bovada last week because of course they have no live chat to ask about whether you can get a free check every 30 days or every calendar month. The guy would not answer my question unless I told him my password. Finally I said, "I don't have an account, I'm thinking of joining, now can you answer it?" He answered it instantly.