greenhippo
    greenhippo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 723

How safe is Intrade?

I'm thinking about putting some money on a few of the options, mostly who wins a particular state. Is it safe for a US player? Anyone use them or have experience?

ThaWoj
    hope i dont wake up tomorrow
    ThaWoj's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3427

Pardon my ignorance but what is intrade?

SBR_John
    Wisky
    SBR_John's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42225

I'm playing there. The liquidity is thin. Took me nearly a week to invest $5k on Romney about a month back plus they only take bank wires as far as i could tell.

greenhippo

Intrade is online trading, mostly political races. You can wager on political races like will Obama win presidency, they also have a lot of State options, I want to invest heavily on Romney to take Virginia and maybe add in Colorado. John, now looks like a great time to sell those Romney tickets, at $4.73 at the moment, I'm guessing you got it at $4.10 or less.

greenhippo

Even though I know you think he'll win, looks like a great time to take a gauranteed profit. I see they will only take bank transfers from me, not too worried about that really, I haven't read a single horror story about the place yet.

mr.ed
    mr.ed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4218

They are only matching buyers and sellers and take on no risk on their own.....so i think very safe. They take a small cut from your balance very month for facilitating the trades. They have also been around a long time....since 1999.

Aside from elections, you can also wager on movies...etc. And also bizarre things like will NASA announce existence of extraterrestrial life (15% chance before 2016). It is hard to get down heavy amounts on most things offered, but not difficult at all on election....investing 5k or more probably not a problem on POTUS, but states a little more difficult to get decent action in play. I invested a few hundred on Romney landslide yesterday with no problem.
    Last edited by mr.ed; 10-24-12 at 09:42 AM. Reason: content spelling

Fishhead
    Fishhead's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11769

Quote Originally Posted by sbr_john View Post
    i'm playing there. The liquidity is thin. Took me nearly a week to invest $5k on romney about a month back plus they only take bank wires as far as i could tell.
    lmfao
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: LostBankroll, and skrtelfan

macb
    macb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1680

Quote Originally Posted by SBR_John View Post
    I'm playing there. The liquidity is thin. Took me nearly a week to invest $5k on Romney about a month back plus they only take bank wires as far as i could tell.
    No wonder Obama has lower odds there than anywhere else.

Art Vandeleigh
    Art Vandeleigh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

Their owner died last year climbing Mt. Everest. They decided to contiue on, and look like they will keep going for the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by shari91; 10-26-12 at 05:59 AM. Reason: removed processing terms