PharaohUB
    PharaohUB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11494

Question for people who use locals

I have alas found a local bookie. Anyway he does the M-Sunday week thing and we settle up on Thursdays after. I won't get into amounts, but I was down last week and up almost twice that this week so far. (These are my first two weeks playing)

Question #1) Would it be out of line for me to just ask him to adjust my current balance this week down what I lost last week and not even bother having cash change hands? I'm supposed to settle up my losses tonight from last week but I have almost twice that in winnings this week.

Question #2) This guy has an agent through an online site. *******. How can I check into legitimacy of this? Can these guys lose their operation were he to stiff me? Just wondering what kind of leverage I have against this guy to prevent him stiffing me if he decides I'm a winner. Can he easily just switch to another bookie operation or could it potentially give him a black eye? I don't know the guy well, but he seemed legit enough and I was willing to take the risk because I've been looking for someone local for awhile.

Thanks
    Last edited by SBR Lou; 09-20-12 at 12:33 PM. Reason: removed

downsouth
    Bobbywaves is a stiff
    downsouth's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25117

Tough situation as he is new book.

If not a lot of money I would pay him now and wait for payment that week. Just make sure that scenario plays the same way when roles are reversed.

As far as PPH site and such. Nothing will happen to him, site or anything else if he stiffs you. The site is solely there basically to keep track of bets. They hold no liability if he stiffs you or vice versa.

If he is new and unknown to you or not coming from a very trusted referrall I would stay rather small to begin with and only slowly work my way up. If your up on this week I would play elsewhere for remainder of week to be sure that he pays you at least.

I have some great locals that have moved to PPH and it makes it much more easy/convenient but I have also run into a few guys that think they can make a quick buck being books and stiff when they get popped.

Good Luck

smallball
    smallball's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 911

Being that it's your first week...I definitely wouldn't even ask for that..especially if it's not a large amount...you want to build up trust...if you are with him for a few months..that's definitely something that can be done, but me personally would never do it to someone in the first week, questions on if you have the money will rise up,

Second question was answered above.

PharaohUB

Thanks guys that's what I figured I'd settle up with him tonight. I mean the amount is relative. It's not alot to me, but could be a lot to him. That's why I'm nervous if I hit this guy for a few K my first couple weeks if he's going to disapear. He's a real nice guy and I actually made friends with him at the local watering hole until I figured out what was going on when some guy showed up and he gave him money. He's a local guy so I doubt he is just going to skip town. I have no idea what kind of action these guys are used to taking or if this is just completely normal to them.

PharaohUB

Sorry for posting link, didnt realize that was against the rules? Why is that?