hawley
    hawley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Attn Shari, Brettels etc

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/l...529-1zhg8.html

"
    MAJOR sports have cautiously welcomed a proposal to allow fans to make in-play bets online, representing a potential new revenue stream for sports but posing challenges for match-fixing.

In its review of online gambling laws released yesterday, the Department of Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy has recommended allowing in-play wagering on any platforms.

AFL media manager Patrick Keane said all sports would support the proposal because it allows betting to remain onshore where sites are regulated and safeguards are in place.

This looks like positive news although it appears any reform will be some time away still.

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

That's very positive news! I was a bit worried that some of the codes here would be influenced by the nutters in the US who claim sports will be constantly fixed if live betting is allowed. Instead it seems they've actually used common sense.

brettels
    brettels's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16

Definitely positive but how long are we going to wait? 6-12 months from the last report but it isn't a certainty yet. I'll hold my breath till it is confirmed and how long we really have to wait for it to actually happen. They should just start now but they are wasting time.

tommygun
    Hareeba! for Prime Minister
    tommygun's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 638

hopefully this gets pushed through quickly.

I can finally trade properly without phoning up.

brettels

Tony Abbott was just on 7 news rallying along side Xenophon against the idea.

tommygun

f*ck xenophon, abbott doesn't want to take an extreme approach to gambling right now as he is not in power.

When will these Pollies wake up. They are over paid nobodies.

Brettels, would you or Hareeba! hurry up and get into politics and overturn these laws. Cheers.

tommygun

The thing is with these dumb politicians, most of them probably think of betting being bad due to the pokies.
    Apparently betting on the horses live is okay though. Why not just make it the same for all sports? If they were serious they should ban pokies and allow sports betting.
    Obviously they don't bet on sports or they would understand how frustrating it is having to phone up to place a bet.
    Sorry to bring Betfair up again, but if pollies were shown a 30 min session on this, they would see that even if a gambler is going to lose they can mitigate some of their losses!

brettels

I'm so pissed off, this shows how dumb Abbott is on the subject with a dipstick like Xenophon in his ear.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/bre...-1226376737042

MatI
    MatI's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7480

They will warm to it once they realise we are all taking our business offshore.

tommygun

Quote Originally Posted by MatI View Post
    They will warm to it once they realise we are all taking our business offshore.
    People have been doing it for years! What makes you think it will change mate?

MatI
    MatI's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7480

Quote Originally Posted by tommygun View Post
    People have been doing it for years! What makes you think it will change mate?
    I think the sports betting business has grown a lot in the last couple of years. And most of these pollies & commentators (going by their comments) seem to think that banning it here in Aus is actually limiting people. It seems they are not fully aware of the scale of the business and how easy it is to sign up with a reliable offshore book.

That's a lot of tax dollars they could be bringing in which they are not getting a single cent of. In the current climate of always trying to balance the budget, they will eventually not be able to ignore.

tommygun

Quote Originally Posted by MatI View Post
    I think the sports betting business has grown a lot in the last couple of years. And most of these pollies & commentators (going by their comments) seem to think that banning it here in Aus is actually limiting people. It seems they are not fully aware of the scale of the business and how easy it is to sign up with a reliable offshore book.

That's a lot of tax dollars they could be bringing in which they are not getting a single cent of. In the current climate of always trying to balance the budget, they will eventually not be able to ignore.

tax on winnings, this worries me.