Ez Money 77
    Ez Money 77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 91

Quote Originally Posted by Ez Money 77 View Post

Also I am going to go check with 5dimes right now and let ya guys know what they say as well.
    Well this is the case at 5dimes as well. I am very glad this thread was started, I am surprised but okay with it now that I know. I just have to make sure to always bet listed pitchers.

Ez Money 77

Well I don't want to go back to chat to ask this but maybe one of you know the answer to this. What if the pitcher gets changed totally last second. When does the book change the line for the game? I would hope/think it would be before the game started still, right?

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Are you guys being serious or is this a delayed April Fools joke? Imagine the pitcher you thought you were betting on got substituted for by.... oh let's say.... me!!!

The line get's changed when the Team Manager makes the starting pitching change. He decides he doesn't want Sir Lefty Lefterlot pitching, he puts in Corky Corkerson, lines get adjusted.

Action = any pitcher who may come in

Listed = til death do you part you want that pitcher and that's who you bet on. Pitcher doesn't play = bet cancelled.

EZMoney - You actually know this. I know you do. The wording might be screwing you up but you've got this one covered. Listed = That's who you get. Action = whomever rocks up xo

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4579

So you would still want it to stay same odds if you had Halladay at -300, and ended up with some scrub at -300? Wouldn't you want the change in odds to your favor?

No book is going to give you +200 if the pitcher changed to Halladay from some scrub.

This has always been the case. You guys that have been betting "Action" probably never had a pregame pitching change to see the odds change.

Good that it cleared things up for some.

BrianLaverty
    BrianLaverty's Avatar Become A Pro!

Has everyone here never bet MLB before or something? This is amazing how clueless people are about the sport that they bet on.

jstblaze
    jstblaze's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

The rule obviously works both ways, so almost anytime you are picking an Ace with a huge line, you would want it to change.

And as long as the line coming out is legit. Assume books always know about a pitching change enough time ahead to post line before first pitch.

Someone early in this thread did say their book had it where the line remains the same if you pick action??

jstblaze
    jstblaze's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

I have never played at a book that did this. If I have bet action then it meant I have action on that line no matter what pitcher ends up pitching. Yes the pitcher is a huge part of baseball. Come on though if U bet on the Lakers and get them at -10 then Kobe is out do you think they change the line to -5 on your bet? I've never heard of a book that did this.
    which book?

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by jstblaze View Post
    The rule obviously works both ways, so almost anytime you are picking an Ace with a huge line, you would want it to change.

And as long as the line coming out is legit. Assume books always know about a pitching change enough time ahead to post line before first pitch.

Someone early in this thread did say their book had it where the line remains the same if you pick action??
    Probably because he hasn't had a PC that affected the odds

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3329

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLaverty View Post
    Has everyone here never bet MLB before or something? This is amazing how clueless people are about the sport that they bet on.
    Yeah, I rarely bet baseball. But going to bet more this year, so it's a good thing to know.

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

Quote Originally Posted by ebbearsfb1 View Post
    Part of taking action on the game is the price... would never play at a book like that... action is exactly that action... better off playing listed ne way
    then i guess you wont be betting

unluckysob
    unluckysob's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12702

can not believe some baseball bettors did not know rule

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

Quote Originally Posted by durito View Post
    then i guess you wont be betting
    I never play action ever... idk why anyone would

erickvivar
    erickvivar's Avatar Become A Pro!

I thought the poster was quite new on this or even joking, but after seeing the replies giving credit to his comments and starting to complain about a book that has SUCH HORRIBLE rules, lol, it went wrong from there.

Please do not bet if you do not understand what you are betting on. Save your family some money, instead of donating it to the books.

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Quote Originally Posted by erickvivar View Post
    I thought the poster was quite new on this or even joking, but after seeing the replies giving credit to his comments and starting to complain about a book that has SUCH HORRIBLE rules, lol, it went wrong from there.

Please do not bet if you do not understand what you are betting on. Save your family some money, instead of donating it to the books.
    Yes I am relatively new to MLB betting and see now that I was mistaken. I am not new to gambling though so this would probably explain my assumption along with several other people in this thread. I can't think of any other bet in any form of gambling where "Action" doesn't mean your bet is on and the payout odds are locked.

I suspect many of the people in this thread making fun of those of us who didn't know about this rule found out the hard way at some point. Also, it's comical for you to act as if not understanding the "Action" bet somehow means we then have awful odds and can't afford groceries. Did you learn from your mistakes and pick up different angles and techniques as you gambled or did you jump right in as a flawless capper?

Ez Money 77

Quote Originally Posted by erickvivar View Post

And what does it matter to you what sports I bet on anyways? Why do you give a shit if I am donating to the book or not. I haven't bet any sports online for over 4 years before this past November and before that I used a bookie. I am almost 100% sure that when I bet "action" that it was my line was set and the pitchers that pitched has ZERO baring on the lines at that point. I AM 100% sure that when I was in Vegas I bet using the Leroys sports book machine outside the book and am positive that I bet a game that the pitcher was changed. I was not sure the rules while watching the game and the book was already closed so I went around asking some other players and was told that if I bet action (which they said was the defult when betting unless chosen otherwise) then the bet was good and I ended up winning the bet and cashing in my ticket for the exact amount on my ticket the next day. Now if this isn't true at any book now I know for sure it was a few years ago.

ZetaPsi808
    July 2011 Poster of the Month
    ZetaPsi808's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1982

i do not see any advantage for the bettor to choose "action". why would anyone choose that option?

listed pitchers should be the only available option

MagicDiceFlow
    blinded by nostalgia
    MagicDiceFlow's Avatar Become A Pro!

I've been wagering online since 1997 and this has ALWAYS been the policy of all books for baseball betting.

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by ZetaPsi808 View Post
    i do not see any advantage for the bettor to choose "action". why would anyone choose that option?

listed pitchers should be the only available option
    I agree, it can only be a disadvantage now that I know the rule. Sure your odds could get better or worse but you no longer have the ability to shop around and are at the mercy of their closing line.

Also, how is your sister? Tell her I said hi. I am saying this with honor and mean no disrespect.

durito
    escarabajo negro

And what does it matter to you what sports I bet on anyways? Why do you give a shit if I am donating to the book or not. I haven't bet any sports online for over 4 years before this past November and before that I used a bookie. I am almost 100% sure that when I bet "action" that it was my line was set and the pitchers that pitched has ZERO baring on the lines at that point. I AM 100% sure that when I was in Vegas I bet using the Leroys sports book machine outside the book and am positive that I bet a game that the pitcher was changed. I was not sure the rules while watching the game and the book was already closed so I went around asking some other players and was told that if I bet action (which they said was the defult when betting unless chosen otherwise) then the bet was good and I ended up winning the bet and cashing in my ticket for the exact amount on my ticket the next day. Now if this isn't true at any book now I know for sure it was a few years ago.
    it was never true anywhere.

ebbearsfb1

So then why would anyone ever bet action? 0 and I mean 0 point to..

TheCentaur

I think the only reason anyone would want to do this is if they didn't want to lose action because of a pitching change they didn't know about. Not a good reason though.

ebbearsfb1

Seems like a terrible reason, no advantage what so ever... I know with the local its action at the price u put it in

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 28986

normal rule in baseball...also makes total sense

durito
    escarabajo negro

the same reason they bet at all, they are stupid
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Santo

TheCentaur

I'll tell you what though, if you make a bet close to game time and want to appear square to a book, betting "action" might achieve this with little risk.

skrtelfan
    skrtelfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3337

This comes up several times a year. Maybe Cliff Lee has a nagging injury and is 50% to make his start at home the Pirates. Someone posts "Hey Cliff Lee might not start, I suggest betting Pirates +250 with action! If they have to substitute Kyle Kendrick or some scrub the line will drop like a rock! And then you can arb it with Phillies -140! So you have a 50% chance at a huge arb!" Lots of people reply saying "Great suggestion! I've bet the Pirates!" Then lots of other people reply "That's not how action works. The line is adjusted after the pitching change." Invariably the person who suggested it says "That's not how it works at my book, my book locks in the line when you bet action!" And when asked, the person mysteriously isn't able to name the book that doesn't adjust the line.

The simple fact is that a book would get killed if they didn't adjust for price.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: BigDaddy

wrongturn
    Update your status
    wrongturn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3726

If you thought Action in baseball means you have price locked, then you will probably get this wrong too: You have bet on total over 7.5, and the game is cancelled by rain after 5-3 score in 8th inning . You think your winning is already in the bag, right? Wrong. You get refund instead.

davidchong
    davidchong's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 697

This rule has changed in some books, if scores go over totals , the game is grade as over no matter in 2nd inning or 7 innings is susspended.

Quote Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
    If you thought Action in baseball means you have price locked, then you will probably get this wrong too: You have bet on total over 7.5, and the game is cancelled by rain after 5-3 score in 8th inning . You think your winning is already in the bag, right? Wrong. You get refund instead.

davidchong
    davidchong's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 697

Game Total - Subject to 8 ½ innings rule EXCEPT where the total has already gone over, (if total has already gone over the quoted total, then bets on the over will be settled as winners, with bets on the under settled as losers) or where the natural conclusion of the game would have meant the outcome of the total quoted would be determined, e.g. MLB game is called, or suspended at 5-5, bets on game totals of Over 10 or 10.5 would be settled as winners, with bets on Under 10 or 10.5 being settled as losers, since any natural conclusion to the match would have at least 11 runs.

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 28986

very true, it does count as OVER in total runs...most places anyway

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by davidchong View Post
    Game Total - Subject to 8 ½ innings rule EXCEPT where the total has already gone over, (if total has already gone over the quoted total, then bets on the over will be settled as winners, with bets on the under settled as losers) or where the natural conclusion of the game would have meant the outcome of the total quoted would be determined, e.g. MLB game is called, or suspended at 5-5, bets on game totals of Over 10 or 10.5 would be settled as winners, with bets on Under 10 or 10.5 being settled as losers, since any natural conclusion to the match would have at least 11 runs.
    Where is this? Every single book I play with requires 8.5 or 9 innings for totals to be official with NO EXCEPTIONS, wrongturn is 100% right that it would be a refund.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by 5mike5 View Post
    very true, it does count as OVER in total runs...most places anyway
    Very FALSE per the industry norm.

Ez Money 77

Seems like a terrible reason, no advantage what so ever... I know with the local its action at the price u put it in
    See and I was being with a local when I use to bet. And for sure the place I bet in Vegas did this as well at their Leroy's machine.

Ez Money 77

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    Where is this? Every single book I play with requires 8.5 or 9 innings for totals to be official with NO EXCEPTIONS, wrongturn is 100% right that it would be a refund.
    Yeah that is what I thought about ov/un. Why would a book grade the overs when it hits over if the game was rained out? Wouldn't this be an advantage if u bet over on any game that has questionable weather? I mean why not get a little edge on games that might not finish? U would either win or push on all of those.

skrtelfan
    skrtelfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3337

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    I've heard of some Euro books that have that "natural conclusion" rule, which would normally be exploitable except that the books I've found with this rule have very high vig, like 40c.

First 123 Last