Marrowhine
    Marrowhine's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 475

Foreign USD Bank accounts and Book transfers

I've recently made a transfer from a New Zealand bank to BetFair, however its now been over two weeks without the money arriving, the money was from a USD bank account and this has me thinking that perhaps the americans are messing with it somehow.

Do americans not make bank transfers to books because they can't, or because they will get caught?

In my experience there seems to be different types of USD accounts, for instance I have an HSBC one where I can move and do whatever I want with the money instantly but then the New Zealand one I have to wait for US business hours to access the money, this has me thinking my bank essentially opens and operates a US Bank account on my behalf and therefore I've inadvertently attempted to transfer from the US to Betfair, if thats the case am I likely to have trouble getting the money back?

Already ordered a trace but taking their sweet time about it!

Shifty
    Shifty's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7997

It happens sometime. A trace takes a few days. The international banking system not as efficient as it should be.

acw
    acw's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1564

Welcome to the world of deliberate f.ck ups!

Nothing should be easier than a money transfer. It is all electronic. Just give them a SWIFT code for the correct bank name+address and an account no. for the person who should receive it. Yet banks may still bug you for corresponding banks, slightly different account holder names, incorrect commission fees, delayed value dates, etc., etc. I have seen it all. Oh ja, in case you do not know it yet: They do it all on purpose! The moment money leaves your account the bank no longer has to pay you interest on it and as long as it does not reach the receiver, they will not need to pay him either.

Marrowhine,
    You made the big mistake to transfer money in a 3rd currency (of which the USD is the worst). You should always try to transfer money in either your own currency (in your case the Kiwi dollar, I assume) or transfer it in the currency of the receiving country (Pound Sterling, in many parts of the world they no longer want them, but the Poms are still ok with it).

Good Luck!

Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20513

Far more efficient and cheaper too to use Moneybookers.

Marrowhine
    Marrowhine's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 475

Unfortunately Betfair isn't available in NZD, so my account is USD, as I get paid in USD too it seemed like a good idea to just send it from the USD account... but your right acw, it seems so simple but they screw it up so often!

Only reason I bring it up on here is that it does seem a lot like the transfer's departure point will be from a US bank and I wonder whether that is creating problems with a well known exchange as the beneficiary.

after this one is resolved, its moneybookers all the way!