ZetaPsi808
    July 2011 Poster of the Month
    ZetaPsi808's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1982

I Got Scammed Today

today i got a phone call from a north los angeles area code. the person claimed to be "Jim" from the BetOnline marketing department. he asked me if my name was **** and i said yes. then he said betonline was offering a 100% freeplay up to a $1000 deposit with 5x rollover. now the phone call tin actually woke me up so i was still dazed and out of it when i was talking to him. i told him i was definitely interested but for some reason my instincts told me, "this sounds fishy...".

i decided to go ahead and i asked him for a westernn unionn name and city. i wanted to see if he was legit so i asked him what my betonline account number was and he knew it. i get calls from different books all the time advertising special reload bonuses so i was familiar with this procedure. for example bookmaker does this same cold-calling procedure and i love playing there. i asked him to email me the westernn unionn to my email address on file. he was like, oh we cant do that. so i wrote it down myself. he also said he put a note in my account noting that i was eligible for the 100% freeplay.

i did not see the risk here and i went to send the money myself but i used my dad's name as the sender. this w.u. location never asks for ID when sending money, only receiving. i cant use my name b/c i sent a dime to a Costa rican book already this week so my name is hot. i do not want to risk getting blacklisted again. so i use my dad's name in case there is an issue then i can have him go pick up the funds risk free. it went thru.

then i get home an hour later and i asked the betonline account representative on live chat if there was a note in my account about the 100% freeplay. he had no idea about this promotion. i called them on the phone and the manager said no one from betonline gave me that receiver name or that bonus offer. at this point i was like holy sh*t i just got scammed. so i was like okay i have to call westernn unionn.

i called w.u. up and they said the funds have not been picked up thank god. i asked them to freeze the transaction they said they could not do that but they would gladly issue me a refund, minus the fees. but there is no way the receiver (scammer) can pick up the funds without the confirmation \# so i am safe here. nobody knows the confirmation \# except me and the w.u. staff. i just have to explain to my dad that i need him to pick up a w.u. *********** under his name for me tomorrow lol.

Disclaimer: i am not bashing betonline here nor am i mad at them. somehow some creep got my correct full name, cell phone number, and betonline account number, which is scary. i'm making this post to tell posters to be careful when dealing with sh*t like this.

RealSlimShady
    RealSlimShady's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11489

Zeta, you didn't get scammed.... You almost did, though.

Intuitive_Edge
    Bi-Winning +EV
    Intuitive_Edge's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 291

Watch your account closely in case they somehow got access to it

8ArIvd5
    8ArIvd5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1044

maybe next time open live chat with the book to confirm authenticity?

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Should have checked caller ID, for a Nigerian Area Code.

Puppy
    2015 -110
    Puppy's Avatar Become A Pro!

meaning to or not this is bashing betonline

ZetaPsi808

yeah u guys are right. the problem is i tried to do 4 other errands during a 3 hour time span so i kinda rushed thru the deposit/bonus process and did not see if everything checked out

baskets
    Poster of the Month Twice a Month
    baskets's Avatar Become A Pro!

This is Umbaba Ewbekway Umba Umba Booga Booga, I'm from BetOnline.

Right when he said 'Umbaba Ewbekway Umba Umba Booga Booga', you should've known the call was a fraud.

ZetaPsi808

puppy not at all.

my balance is all in right now at betonline. if i lose this balance i will be reloading there next week for sure. so obviously i trust them.

baskets

now if a spear comes crashing through your window in the next few minutes, you might want to load your gun. just a heads up

Puppy
    2015 -110
    Puppy's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ZetaPsi808 View Post
    puppy not at all.

my balance is all in right now at betonline. if i lose this balance i will be reloading there next week for sure. so obviously i trust them.
    still makes ppl somewhat weary of betonline especially if they glance thru the message

Sunde91
    Sunde91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

you were prepared to email back the CN to the address you got the receiver info from? fukin clown pal

ZetaPsi808

Quote Originally Posted by Sunde91 View Post
    you were prepared to email back the CN to the address you got the receiver info from? fukin clown pal
    learn how to read

i never said that lol

frizzelli
    frizzelli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

It was probably venditto
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 5 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Extra Innings, excel, CarpeDime, RogueScholar, and FourLengthsClear

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

BO needs utility bill and id for person to person that is BS obviously I am that person if I pick up the money And why should you need a utility bill stuff could be in someone elses name

daimoshokage
    daimoshokage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 57

Quote Originally Posted by frizzelli View Post
    It was probably venditto
    Heard the scammer is canadian.. hmmm.. it might be you frijizz.. you have history of scamming people..

Sunde91
    Sunde91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

point is what was their plan to get the CN. you were going to give the CN to the site through chat like everyone else. so scam fail or storytelling down
    Points Awarded:

prop gave Sunde91 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

prop
    prop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2002

Edit: ^exactly - I hadn't read that yet when I posted this below.

Chances are this was BetOnline, there was no scam and their support is just incompetent. Seriously: did the solicitor leave you any instructions for after sending the cash?

ZetaPsi808

sund/prop the solicitor did leave me instructions. i told him i would give the confirmation \## to betonline livechat, and he was like, "no, just call this number back that shows up on the caller ID and give it to me."

i actually did call the number back so i could investigate myself, and no one picked up. it just rang 25 times lol.

idc if this makes me look bad, im just happy my funds are safe for now.

prop
    prop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2002

Okay this makes sense then.

Bongo
    Bongo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

today i got a phone call from a north los angeles area code. the person claimed to be "Jim" from the BetOnline marketing department. he asked me if my name was **** and i said yes. then he said betonline was offering a 100% freeplay up to a $1000 deposit with 5x rollover. now the phone call tin actually woke me up so i was still dazed and out of it when i was talking to him. i told him i was definitely interested but for some reason my instincts told me, "this sounds fishy...".

i decided to go ahead and i asked him for a westernn unionn name and city. i wanted to see if he was legit so i asked him what my betonline account number was and he knew it.
    So this scammer, knew your name, your phone number and your account number?

He probably knows your password already and his next scam will be to request a w u withdrawal for you (under 1K so his cohort close to your hometown won't need an id), lol.

But seriously, most customer service reps have no clue as to what reload specials are going on and/or vice versa.

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Zeta it was me.. I was drunk.. Sorry pal.. I have a problem.

ZetaPsi808

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
    So this scammer, knew your name, your phone number and your account number?

He probably knows your password already and his next scam will be to request a w u withdrawal for you (under 1K so his cohort close to your hometown won't need an id), lol.

But seriously, most customer service reps have no clue as to what reload specials are going on and/or vice versa.
    yeah it is scary. i changed my betonline password to be safe

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

yeah it is scary. i changed my betonline password to be safe
    Change every password you have everywhere. No joke. Even everything non gambling related. It's a pain but I had to do it not long ago. Don't be lazy... do it!

You guys go on some dodgy sites and you have no way of telling what info they're catching... just change your passwords to look something like this to be safe: Tasd9847TdTwi66 (ie combo of upper and lower case, numbers and random shit... no common words xo)

wtf
    wtf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

we know you are tight with patty

probably sharing this info with him

he would rob his own mother for his next gambling fix-taking you down is lunch for him
    Points Awarded:

shari91 gave wtf 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

bobbyfk gave wtf 10 SBR Point(s) for this post.

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

It was me pal

tatommack
    cowboys make the playoffs
    tatommack's Avatar Become A Pro!

Wow sounds like an x employe

baskets

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    we know you are tight with patty probably sharing this info with him he would rob his own mother for his next gambling fix-taking you down is lunch for him
    ha ha. hilarious post

bogbat
    bogbat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2292

My computer is pretty well locked down but I have noticed a lot of potential threats on the illegal sport streaming sites. I wouldn't go on them at all if I didn't have a good antivirus, firewall, anti-malware/adware etc

LVHerbie
    LVHerbie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1973

Pretty crazy people are bashing Zeta in a thread where he was kind enough to warn about a potential scam...

Did they want you to send the money to a country that is commonly associated with gambling payments? If they had your account number and contact info it a strong possibility that someone got ahold of BetOnline's mailing list (which, sadly, isn't uncommon)...

princecharles
    princecharles's Avatar Become A Pro!

Couple points here.
    I would tend to think good chance of BOL having internal communication challenges.
    Is it possible they have 'salesmen' on commission from anywhere cold calling, and the Panama HQ did not have you in system yet?
    Makes little scence this was a scam, as w/o that control # the funds could never be picked up.
    Question: then why were you so worried and rushed to call ** and make sure money wasn't yet picked up if you knew you never gave the confirmation \# to anyone?
    And you failed to mention in your initial post that he wanted you to call him back with the confirmation \#, which is the most 'red flaggy' of your whole story.

JDLR

LVHerbie
    LVHerbie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1973

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    Change every password you have everywhere. No joke. Even everything non gambling related. It's a pain but I had to do it not long ago. Don't be lazy... do it!

You guys go on some dodgy sites and you have no way of telling what info they're catching... just change your passwords to look something like this to be safe: Tasd9847TdTwi66 (ie combo of upper and lower case, numbers and random shit... no common words xo)
    For sure... you can't be too safe...

Keepass is good software for generating long, UNIQUE, random passwords without having to remember them all (and, maybe more important, can help protect you against keylogger attacks)...

skrtelfan
    skrtelfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3337

Always call them back before you give out any info. That way you know where you're calling.

appleman
    appleman's Avatar Become A Pro!

they all most got you need to be more carefull next time

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Tough break Zeta

Losing money like that is not funny

Zeta stop with bonuses not worse the hassle unless your dealing with the book direct

123 Last