Cinquefoil
    Cinquefoil's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 59

Bodog dual lines

Bodog has just recently—the past week—started dealing me dual lines, something we all know is common practice for them. I'm not surprised, but I'm intrigued as to why they're doing it; I generally bet $10 on NFL sides and less on props, teasers, etc. I'm very slightly up on the NFL season, but I'm certainly not breaking their bank on one- and two-figure bets. Anyway, I just found this interesting.

Ez Money 77
    Ez Money 77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 91

Sorry this might sound dumb to some but I don't know what dual lines are? Could you explain this to me? Thanks bud.

Chimneyfish
    Chimneyfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1283

Join the club. From what I've heard, they're automatically personalized based on your tendencies. I usually see home favorites laying up to 1 point less than when I am logged out of my account.

It's always seemed like bad business to me. If they can tell that I like to bet on road dogs, I don't know why they'd put effort into making their games less appealing to me.

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

Quote Originally Posted by Ez Money 77 View Post
    Sorry this might sound dumb to some but I don't know what dual lines are? Could you explain this to me? Thanks bud.
    Bodog are a recreational (square) book and usually shade their lines towards the favourite, giving the player value in betting the underdog.

Suppose their standard line is:

Team A -2.5 @ -110
    Team B +2.5 @ -110

A player who consistently/often bets into the value on the underdog will no longer be dealt the standard lines. He sould most likely see:

Team A -2.0 @ -110
    Team B +2.0 @ -110

This is a practice which is illegal in Europe and in Las Vegas.

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

like for the NE/ DEN NFL game this week if they wanted to offer you pats -7.5 and broncos +6.5?

or you mean giving you lines they're not offering to other people?

you have to mean spread instead of prices because adjusting the juice is the name of the game everywhere.

Cinquefoil

Also, just watching the Jags/Falcons line moving, it seems as though the lines are the same for a few minutes after line moves. Is there any validity to this or am I just a victim of observation bias?

Ez Money 77

wow I can't believe they would do this for a $10 bettor. Come on are you frickin serious? That is just ridiculous. I swear I would never play at a book that did this just because it is not right.

Chimneyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
    like for the NE/ DEN NFL game this week if they wanted to offer you pats -7.5 and broncos +6.5?
    No, they don't do anything quite that sleazy- at least not in my experience. What they would do in this case is publicly list the NE -7.5 and Den +7.5 . However, when viewing the same game while logged into an account with a history of successfully betting a lot of underdogs, the lines will change to something like NE -7 and Den +7. When logged out, they immediately change back to 7.5.

Chimneyfish

Actually, from what I remember I don't think it's a matter of just logging in and logging out to see the dual lines. I think they actually use browser cookies to better disguise the practice. It's pretty easy to spot if you just compare the lines you're getting to SBROdds.com, but there's nothing you can do about it except play somewhere else instead.

Jonah
    Jonah's Avatar Become A Pro!

I always thought they might do this...Wondered if they dealt dual lines at halftime depending on who you took for the game and say you were a known chaser, especially. Also with live lines!

Chimneyfish

I just spotted this happening on the lines for the TNF game tonight and took a screen shot as an example/evidence. Here are the two different lines being offered at the same time, depending on whether I am logged into my account or not:

To be fair, the juice is reduced, which is something I hadn't noticed before.

Everyone with a Bodog account should go check and see what line they are getting on this game to find out what type of bettor Bodog's computers consider them to be.

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

The worst is when they change lines after you try to enter a bet.

edawg
    edawg's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5030

When books start this it is time to go elsewhere!

Cinquefoil

Chimneyfish, I get the exact same lines when signed in/out as you do for tonight's game.

ThaddeusB
    ThaddeusB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 135661

Yes, Bodog's computer pick between at least 2 different line sets based on your betting history. Winning or not doesn't enter into the equation - only what you've bet on.

On the one hand, its a smart business practice if you can get away with it. On the other hand, its a pretty shaddy thing to do and (among other things) prevents Bodog from being taken seriously by most people (but not by SBR's ratings).

Thaddeus

Ez Money 77

Quote Originally Posted by BigDofBA View Post
    The worst is when they change lines after you try to enter a bet.
    I was using wagerweb before I found this forum and they did this to me ALL the time. Like 1 out of 7 wagers this would happen to me. One time it changed two times in a row while I tried to confirm it. I have been using Betislands now and it has happened three times. The first and last one both were in my favor. I was in total shock. I can't believe how crooked wagerweb is.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

They do this, but get an A rating from SBR. Which is why SBR's ratings are not to be taken seriously from my perspective.

BoDog is a book to use when you are making your first 100 bets. After that you should becom a more sophisticated bettor, and move along.

LVHerbie
    LVHerbie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1965

Even with the duel lines very frequently (especially on isolated games, for example Sunday and Monday night NFL games) Bodog will still shade their lines to where they have the best number on the board on a side... Maybe it just me but if all books did this I wouldn't have a problem with duel lines becoming the industry norm...

crzbrave
    crzbrave's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

I made a post about the same thing just last week..

Ez Money 77

Quote Originally Posted by LVHerbie View Post
    Even with the duel lines very frequently (especially on isolated games, for example Sunday and Monday night NFL games) Bodog will still shade their lines to where they have the best number on the board on a side... Maybe it just me but if all books did this I wouldn't have a problem with duel lines becoming the industry norm...
    I don't know if I just don't understand what you said or not but how could you not have a problem with this becoming a norm in the industry? I mean it is a form of lying and being deceptive just to get you to go sign in and hopefully not notice that the other line is for other people. This is crazy to think even one person that ever places a wager would think this is acceptable. The books already have an advantage with the juice and now they want to stick it to people even more than that? Maybe I didn't understand what you were saying because truly this is not what you meant.

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

yea thats pretty dirty but i suppose youre getting better lines on favorites now.

fukkin blowdog. poker cheaters.

katstale
    katstale's Avatar Become A Pro!

think people are confusing things in this thread. i don't think op is talking abt changing a line when u try to confirm, he is talking abt Bodog's long held practice of dealing 2 different lines. You can usually get the "square" lines for a few weeks, but i have known people to get them after less than 5 wagers.

Once you are on the "sharp" lines you get that forever. They still have a couple of sports that are worth it after that. Want a good laugh, send them an email stating that you are outraged to have learned that they deal dual lines.

You will get back an unintelligible answer that would make any politican proud. Post it here when u get it.

To be fair to Dog, if they let pros bet the "square" lines for even a month--they couldn't stay in business.

Ez Money 77

I am not confused. Both are messed up and not right. Sure changing the line after u confirm is far worse but that doesn't mean changing them only when you sign into your account is much better.

Megatron
    Megatron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2969

when I log in I see:

Jags +14(-125)
    Bucs +7 (-115)

before I log in I see:

jags +14(-120)
    Bucs +7

So they think I like betting underdogs?
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 03-17-15 at 04:46 PM. Reason: image does not exist

LVHerbie
    LVHerbie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1965

I don't know if I just don't understand what you said or not but how could you not have a problem with this becoming a norm in the industry? I mean it is a form of lying and being deceptive just to get you to go sign in and hopefully not notice that the other line is for other people. This is crazy to think even one person that ever places a wager would think this is acceptable. The books already have an advantage with the juice and now they want to stick it to people even more than that? Maybe I didn't understand what you were saying because truly this is not what you meant.
    Obviously I would prefer to get the square lines but given the choice between getting dealt dual lines, that are very often still the best available on the board, or them just copying pinnacles lines and juicing them more (like everyone else does) I will take what bodog is giving me...

I can live with someone else getting different prices then me because the obvious alternative is for them to deal completely non-unique numbers or completely clearing house of all threats, both are obviously worse then the current situation...

On a side note, if you are a winner, it is also in your interest that the squares lose as much as possible to the house... If you can get past the the transitivity of not getting to bet these easily beatable square lines you might find better doors being left open that have mostly dried up elsewhere...

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Before logging in:

Dallas -8

LaLa +6

After logging in:

Dallas -7.5
    LaLa +6 (-115)

I take a lot of dogs on Bodog btw.

Chimneyfish

LVHerbie makes a good point. People mention Bodog being a square book as if it's a bad thing. It'd be like criticizing a poker game for having too many rubes. As far as I've seen, for big games involving a lot of public money like the Super Bowl, there's no better place to wager than Bodog- dual lines or not.

diondublin
    diondublin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 138

Quote Originally Posted by Cinquefoil View Post
    Bodog has just recently—the past week—started dealing me dual lines, something we all know is common practice for them. I'm not surprised, but I'm intrigued as to why they're doing it; I generally bet $10 on NFL sides and less on props, teasers, etc. I'm very slightly up on the NFL season, but I'm certainly not breaking their bank on one- and two-figure bets. Anyway, I just found this interesting.

When they entered the UK market they used to display BOTH sets of NBA lines on my screen! It looked like

MEM +6.5
    ORL -6.5

MEM +7
    ORL -7

Therefore it was just a matter of choosing the best of the four lines to suit your bet! However, they have found this bug now.

Useless book, though - I had some tiny UK horseracing bets (around 10GBP) when they were best price and almost instantly got limited to often less than 2GBP per bet. By email, they pleaded they were only a 'recreational' book and could not handle this action (sigh).

I honestly do not understand why these bookies quote best price if they don't want to lay it even to a few pounds only. Why bother? Surely you quote a price because you believe that it represents the true price, plus a margin, and that you will win in the long run on it. Therefore you are slow to limit price-sensitive punters.

Duff85
    Getting ready for Japball
    Duff85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4007

Quote Originally Posted by Cinquefoil View Post
    I'm not making this shit up - I bet $10 a game and Bodog UK have limited me to around $5 bets for nfl and $1 for Euro Hoops.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

They moved me off the square lineset very quickly after I signed up with them.

Actually, from what I remember I don't think it's a matter of just logging in and logging out to see the dual lines. I think they actually use browser cookies to better disguise the practice. It's pretty easy to spot if you just compare the lines you're getting to SBROdds.com, but there's nothing you can do about it except play somewhere else instead.
    When they were using the bodog site, it used cookies, but now on Bovada it doesn't. I see the odds change when I log in. Tonight Bucs +8 -110 when logged out, -115 logged in. I checked it and it happened twice when logging in.

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

Quote Originally Posted by Duff85 View Post
    I'm not making this shit up - I bet $10 a game and Bodog UK have limited me to around $5 bets for nfl and $1 for Euro Hoops.
    I know you are not making it up and I don't think they are even trying to collar you.

The very first bet I tried to make there I got the on-screen message that the maximum bet was GBP 7.24 and that was on EPL soccer!

They are just a book with very low limits. I suspect they have a policy that starts everyone off at these stupid levels but raise them if you show square tendencies.