Pot luck
    Pot luck's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 788

Wager cancelled

A book cancelled a wager before the event citing an "input error". The line offered was comparable with the four other books offering prices at the time of betting.

The line when bet was +300.00 which dropped to +240.00 before dropping to -142.86 - at which point the bet was cancelled.

The response to an email was this:

"We would like to confirm once again that those bets had to be cancelled due to an input error because incorrect odds were entered.

If we wouldn't do that and would settle them correspondently, some users could lose on the ground of an error from our side and this would be absolutely unfair. Moreover, the cancellation of a bet does not report any damage to any of the affected customers, since all stakes are reimbursed".

Is this fair?

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Have you filled out a complaint form yet. Also, what book was this sir?

Pot luck

I have not filled a complaint form yet. I wanted to get a feel for whether people thought that this was OK from the book or not. The book is a major European book who have tended to be fair with me in the past.

KEdge2k
    KEdge2k's Avatar Become A Pro!

What type of sport are we talking? And did the rest of the comparable books all drop their lines concurrently down to a negative juice? Why did the line move so drastically?

Pot luck

Soccer. All the books dropped their lines around the same time - I am not sure why they all dropped but I thought that the correct line was about +100 when making the bet.

Maniac
    Maniac's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8815

Sounds like the typical big you move you see when a game is bent or if the players of one team suddenly go on strike or something - seems way to big a move to be on a normal game to me.

What match was it, or what league/competition was it in - that way will be able to see if there is more to things than meets the eye with the game, and whether it was a legit "input error" or them just not reacting to a legitimate market move...

BET THE HOOK
    BET THE HOOK's Avatar Become A Pro!

Something smells fishy here.

isetcap
    isetcap's Avatar Become A Pro!

You would need to be able to provide evidence that your bet was placed while the overall market was in the +300 neighborhood. If so then your complaint is valid and the book should honor the bet. If not then the book is definitely within its rights to cancel citing a bad line.
    Points Awarded:

Justin7 gave isetcap 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

isetcap

Quote Originally Posted by Pot luck View Post
    Soccer. All the books dropped their lines around the same time - I am not sure why they all dropped but I thought that the correct line was about +100 when making the bet.
    You were able to handicap the line at +100 when you bet +300 but you are not sure why the line dropped? An extreme move of that nature should be easily explainable.

skrtelfan
    skrtelfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3337

Quote Originally Posted by isetcap View Post
    You would need to be able to provide evidence that your bet was placed while the overall market was in the +300 neighborhood. If so then your complaint is valid and the book should honor the bet. If not then the book is definitely within its rights to cancel citing a bad line.
    By that argument any stale line is a "bad line" and allowing books to cancel any stale line also allows them to be lazy.

in play, run(s)
    in play, run(s)'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

What game was it?

isetcap

Quote Originally Posted by skrtelfan View Post
    By that argument any stale line is a "bad line" and allowing books to cancel any stale line also allows them to be lazy.
    A stale line is not being discussed here and therefore the argument does not apply. This line was declared an input error.

If a player is trimmed for betting a stale line then a different set of bookmaking ethics/rules comes into play.

King_Suckerman
    King_Suckerman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12903

The line offered was comparable with the four other books offering prices at the time of betting.

Were the 4 other books in any way related? eg all part of same group or all using odds from the same source?

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by King_Suckerman View Post
    Were the 4 other books in any way related? eg all part of same group or all using odds from the same source?
    Mr.Blackie's establishment only has 2 books under the BlackDog Group family of books sir.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Maybe Pinny put up a bad line and many sheep copied?