slapshot
    slapshot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23563

who is the biggest bookmaker in the world?

on wikipedia you can read Ladbrokes is largest betting company in the UK and largest retail bookmaker in the world.

i know ladbrokes has physical stores all over the place in the uk....but including the online market i doubt they have the most registered active users and the highest turnover in the industry.

anyone know the biggest bookie in the world is?

boatboatboat
    what the hell is this?
    boatboatboat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 120

wall street

you buy, you pay vig.

you sell, you pay vig.

you have a 401k, you pay vig.

you work where they have a pension, you pay vig.

wall street is the biggest bookie.

in play, run(s)
    in play, run(s)'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

I can only guess... in terms of turnover, it's maybe SBOBET or IBCBet... I don't have their numbers, but these shops are huge!

Chopsticks
    Chopsticks's Avatar Become A Pro!

Do you mean biggest = most members or most turnover? There may be a big difference here as maybe the typical Ladbrokes customer may be a westerner with a job or some kind of income, but maybe the typical sbo customer is a vietnamese guy working in a rice field (exaggeration to make a point) who occationally places $1 bets.. I know Ladbrokes claims to have 800.000 "active" customers so they probably have 5 times that in total.. And that is not counting all the betting shop activity.

I am not sure if SBO and those are much bigger... Ladbrokes is well-known all over the globe and spend a good amount of money to market themselves.

There are turnover reports available for many of the bookies online, I found the bet365 one for 2010 pretty quickly and they say £1.8 Bn which I would guess is about $3bn.
    Last edited by Chopsticks; 08-05-11 at 02:38 PM.

horja1
    Grrrrrr
    horja1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Bet365 claim to have over 3,5 mil customers

deeshen13
    deeshen13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

Quote Originally Posted by Chopsticks View Post
    they say £1.8 Bn which I would guess is about $3bn.
    Nope, recheck the FOREX market and try again

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

Do you mean biggest = most members or most turnover? There may be a big difference here as maybe the typical Ladbrokes customer may be a westerner with a job or some kind of income, but maybe the typical sbo customer is a vietnamese guy working in a rice field (exaggeration to make a point) who occationally places $1 bets.. I know Ladbrokes claims to have 800.000 "active" customers so they probably have 5 times that in total.. And that is not counting all the betting shop activity.

I am not sure if SBO and those are much bigger... Ladbrokes is well-known all over the globe and spend a good amount of money to market themselves.

There are turnover reports available for many of the bookies online, I found the bet365 one for 2010 pretty quickly and they say £1.8 Bn which I would guess is about $3bn.
    sbo takes actual bets, ladbrokes accepts $12 bets.

kostasgr
    kostasgr's Avatar Become A Pro!

If you count and the stores not only the on line betting,then maybe ladbrokes is the biggest company.

frankthetank
    frankthetank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 97

someone like ladbrokes who probably owns much of the property of the actual locations would be my guess

slapshot
    slapshot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23563

bet365 is probably a good guess if we're talking about members and volume, they seem to be a bookie that appeal to lots of small recreational players...kind of an average joe bookie. apparently they are very aggressive applying limits to you if you're successful.

Chopsticks

Quote Originally Posted by deeshen13 View Post

Nope, recheck the FOREX market and try again
    Nitpick! I know $50M is a lot but it was only a rough estimate... Accurate enough to illustrate the point.

Quote Originally Posted by durito View Post

sbo takes actual bets, ladbrokes accepts $12 bets.
    Bad luck! I am still good at Ladbrokes for some reason

JVP3122
    JVP3122's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 474

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
    on wikipedia you can read Ladbrokes is largest betting company in the UK and largest retail bookmaker in the world.

i know ladbrokes has physical stores all over the place in the uk....but including the online market i doubt they have the most registered active users and the highest turnover in the industry.

anyone know the biggest bookie in the world is?
    Really? Give me five minutes. If you check back on Wikipedia in five minutes I'll have it saying Bodog is the biggest one.

Chopsticks

Quote Originally Posted by JVP3122 View Post

Really? Give me five minutes. If you check back on Wikipedia in five minutes I'll have it saying Bodog is the biggest one.
    Bodog is pretty big though if you take bodog.com, bodog.ca, bodog.co.uk and bodog88 all together... but that would not be right.

I am sure that if it is incorrect that Lads is biggest then the other bookies would have an interest in putting out information that indicates that they are not.

brettels
    brettels's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16

TAB

JVP3122
    JVP3122's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 474

Bodog is pretty big though if you take bodog.com, bodog.ca, bodog.co.uk and bodog88 all together... but that would not be right.

I am sure that if it is incorrect that Lads is biggest then the other bookies would have an interest in putting out information that indicates that they are not.
    That wasn't the point. My point was taking what someone finds on Wikipedia as truth. Change my comment to be Bet365 instead of Bodog, then.

PVO
    PVO's Avatar Become A Pro!

Bet 3.65 (not more!) or Ladbrokes (any european) are ridiculous.

Now this is Asia time.

Sbobet.