marcojuiceman
    marcojuiceman's Avatar Become A Pro!

Washington D.C. Legalizes Online Poker

I know some people on here already know this but for the ones you dont. The title says it all. So i guess the whole country is next. IS there anyone who has played in the DC area? let me know how is it?

mtneer1212
    mtneer1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3369

I believe there are still some Federal hoops to jump through bevafor it becomes a reality.

mikejamm
    mikejamm's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1321

Yeah I'll believe it when I see pres Obama playing in a few ring games!

sharpcat
    sharpcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

1) this is very old news

2) if you are a sports bettor you should not be excited to see any type of country wide legalization because this will give the govt. a chance to rewrite the poorly written UIGEA bill which if done properly this time will likely be successful in pushing out the remaining books who still take the risk of accepting US players.

People please educate yourselves and do not support the passing of any internet gambling laws unless they include overturning laws against sports wagering.

gregm
    gregm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

Does anyone have any familiarity with Intralot, I know they are a big lottery software provider but I don't have any familiarity with them?

I am really interested to see what this is going to look like with the type of players the D.C. local government thinks they are going to get by limiting this to the district. I have my doubts, but this is a fascinating story.

Sbr tv should do a story on this DC online poker, I would love to hear a conversation with DC politicians like Michael Brown or any American politicians like a Sandoval type politician about this.

This is supposed to start at commercial "hot spot" locations at the end of july or the first of September at the latest and be ready for home use by the end of the year.

LostBankroll
    who is the bitch in my avy???
    LostBankroll's Avatar Become A Pro!

Shit Im 5 minutes away from the border sign me the **** up.

marcojuiceman

Quote Originally Posted by sharpcat View Post
    1) this is very old news

2) if you are a sports bettor you should not be excited to see any type of country wide legalization because this will give the govt. a chance to rewrite the poorly written UIGEA bill which if done properly this time will likely be successful in pushing out the remaining books who still take the risk of accepting US players.

People please educate yourselves and do not support the passing of any internet gambling laws unless they include overturning laws against sports wagering.

This is what you call the future of How things are NOW. Get out of the PASt

sharpcat

I hope betting with a local is your plan for the future because if the UIGEA (unlawful internet gambling enforcement act) is rewritten it will surely make it so that offshore bookmakers will face criminal prosecution for dealing with US players and the books will realize that it is much better to go the Pinnacle route and leave the US. All of you people that hear that online poker may be legalized and get excited about it are fools if you do not take the time to look and see what all of the downsides will be of this being legalized.

Online sports wagering will be gone for US players is online poker really that important???

Santo
    Santo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Offshore bookmakers already face criminal prosecution if they make the mistake of coming under US Jurisdiction (see Cohen). Any tightening of the UIGEA is more likely to target funding than bookmakers; there's not much you can do when they're in a locale that won't extradite.

WileOut
    WileOut's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

Quote Originally Posted by Santo View Post
    Offshore bookmakers already face criminal prosecution if they make the mistake of coming under US Jurisdiction (see Cohen). Any tightening of the UIGEA is more likely to target funding than bookmakers; there's not much you can do when they're in a locale that won't extradite.
    The anti internet gambling congressmen are pissed about the poker bill. So they are going to demand that the hardest possible penalties be imposed on all other gambling. It will probably be really bad. Books need to come up with some kind of alternate currency or something. Bitcoin has been an interesting idea but I don't know if it is the answer. I do think that the amount of money books make from USA customers is so enormous that some will always find a way to survive. If the poker legislation does pass, there may not be many options left to shop around for props and good prices, but you will always be able to get down money on games over the internet at a place that pays every time. That's my opinion anyway.

marcojuiceman

Alot of them are already breaking the laws as we bet Now. So what is the difference Nothing. The only way i see them shutting down books is stopping MyGram or WUinon transactions. Other than that

crysbreeze
    crysbreeze's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14966

There's some analysis on it from a legal standpoint in this thread.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/57...poker-1015546/

FreeFall
    FreeFall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2391

Quote Originally Posted by marcojuiceman View Post
    Alot of them are already breaking the laws as we bet Now. So what is the difference Nothing. The only way i see them shutting down books is stopping MyGram or WUinon transactions. Other than that
    Without invading personal privacy I'm not sure there is any legal way they can do this? All it limits is the amount of money that can move around.

marcojuiceman

Quote Originally Posted by crysbreeze View Post
    There's some analysis on it from a legal standpoint in this thread. http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/57...poker-1015546/
    Ok thanks also when i go on there who the hell is Gary Johnson Do they think im going to vote for him just to legalize poker We have more important issues to deal with also

sharpcat

I have personally had one of these options taking away from me due to too many transactions to countries known for offshore gaming. They are currently required to monitor for this type of usage and if they suspect thats what you are sending funds for they will shut you down.

marcojuiceman

Quote Originally Posted by sharpcat View Post
    I have personally had one of these options taking away from me due to too many transactions to countries known for offshore gaming. They are currently required to monitor for this type of usage and if they suspect thats what you are sending funds for they will shut you down.
    O ok is that the same reason they 5dimes tell people to send Wunion in another name

sharpcat

O ok is that the same reason they 5dimes tell people to send Wunion in another name
    Probably but when you send it under another name and the clerk misspells the receiver name you will have to show ID when you go to correct the error.

I would not recommend sending under another name unless that person is willing to go and sort things out for you when the transaction goes sour.

sharpcat

Quote Originally Posted by FreeFall View Post
    Without invading personal privacy I'm not sure there is any legal way they can do this? All it limits is the amount of money that can move around.
    Any player who dreams of playing on a professional level should realize that inability to efficiently move funds will be a huge mountain to overcome. Established professionals with large bankrolls should be able to overcome this but it will crush all of your small recreational players and aspiring professionals.